Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-10, 12:17 PM   #1
Bottom Rig
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Super fluke spinning rod

Looking for a super fluke (weightless plastic) spinning rod & can't decide between a falcon lowrider xg lfs-5-167, lfs-5-1610, lfs-4-1610, shimano compre cps-70mb, shimano crucial crs-70m, st croix premier ps70mf, & at the extreme end of my budget a st croix avid avs70mf. I have a shimano symetre 2500 that I'm pairing this rod with. Appreciate your recommendations.
Bottom Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 02:58 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have the lfs-5-167 Falcon, and I don't use it much for flukes, I do use it a ton for weightless worms. IMO, it is the perfect spinning rod for a ton of applications like this.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 03:27 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The only rod of those you mentioned that I've used is the Shimano Crucial (and not that exact model). The Crucials are great rods for the money. I also have the St Croix Mojo 7' M spinning rod, which if I remember correctly is the next series up in Croix's rod line up.

Comparing the Crucial to the Mojo: The Crucial is an overall better rod IMO. It is more balanced despite being 2" longer than the Mojo. The Crucial is also more sensitive. When it comes to the split grips though, the mojo's rear grip is one of the most comfortable I've fished with. It's long enough to keep your hand off the blank while casting and fits nicely in hand while the Crucial's rear grip always keeps me wanting more. Although I don't think all the Crucials are split grips, so this may not apply. I do really like the exposed foregrip that comes on some of the Crucial spinning rods though.

I've never used a falcon, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I'd check out the Bucoo series rod from Falcon.

All of that stuff aside, I think you've made a good choice going with a 7' M F rod. Those specs make for a very versatile spinning rod.

BB
Old 04-26-10, 04:14 PM   #4
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't leave out the Bass Pro Shops Carbon Lite, either. Those rods have gotten great reviews and they look SWEET! 7' or 7'2 M would work great for long-tossin' Flukes and any other soft plastic you have.

The St. Croix Mojo Bass is another option that'll probably be recommended here a few times! I picked up the 7' M "plastics" trigger rod at Dick's Sporting Goods and it felt GREAT! Light, not extremely light but what I'd call "balanced" and that cork split-grip felt like heaven. I'm sure the spinning rods feel the same. 7' M is what you need.

Falcon's BuCoo rods look nice if you like Falcon. I've never held one nor do I know much about them. Maybe you could go into a store and get them to mount a reel on it to see how it feels??? Nice lookin' rod. Oh, and what the (bleep) kinda name is BuCoo??
Old 04-26-10, 07:48 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have no particular favorite brands of rods, but a 6'6" or 7' M or MH ought to do fine on Flukes, and it will do fine with most lure types.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 10:30 PM   #6
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I picked up a BPS carbonlite 6'8" M XF which I like alot so far using for weightless plastics. While I don't have a Falcon spinning rod, I do have a Low Rider XG casting rod that I really like so I wouldn't hesitate to get one of their spinning rods. As for the others you mentioned I don't have any personal experience so I won't make any recomendations but I'm sure others will be able to help you out....good luck!
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 02:21 PM   #7
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
Don't leave out the Bass Pro Shops Carbon Lite, either. Those rods have gotten great reviews and they look SWEET! 7' or 7'2 M would work great for long-tossin' Flukes and any other soft plastic you have.

The St. Croix Mojo Bass is another option that'll probably be recommended here a few times! I picked up the 7' M "plastics" trigger rod at Dick's Sporting Goods and it felt GREAT! Light, not extremely light but what I'd call "balanced" and that cork split-grip felt like heaven. I'm sure the spinning rods feel the same. 7' M is what you need.

Falcon's BuCoo rods look nice if you like Falcon. I've never held one nor do I know much about them. Maybe you could go into a store and get them to mount a reel on it to see how it feels??? Nice lookin' rod. Oh, and what the (bleep) kinda name is BuCoo??
First off Ill start by saying hello to everyone, Hello!

Secondly I have the BPS Carbonlite 7'2" M Fast paired with a Team Diawa Tierra 2500, and I agree, it works great for casting flukes and other light weight plastics.

Pete
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 09:47 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm a Lowrider guy, so it always gets my vote.
Old 04-28-10, 08:35 PM   #9
Cavs1123

I really like my 7' M action Bass Pro Shops Extreme spinning rod.
Old 04-28-10, 09:21 PM   #10
3dkicker

Out of those I'd go with the Crucial. I've got a 6'6" M F that I use for the same presentation. I liked the feel of the rod over most of what you have listed although they are very good rods. If you can test them all out and see what feels best to you. I even liked mine over rods twice the price.
Old 05-03-10, 11:52 PM   #11
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

It wasn't mentioned but I have a Shimano 6'6" Clarus that I use for that presentation that I think is flawless.
Arkie Bass Buster is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.