Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-10, 04:01 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Here is the situation.....

I am looking for advice on what approach to take next weekend when I go to the lake. Conditions are that the water is about 8 foot above normal (at this point), water is muddy and they are dropping the water to get it back to where it should be. It will probably still be 5 feet or so high by next Friday. Water temps are around 70 degrees. When the flooding started the spawn was happening. I am talking about Kentucky lake. I am open to your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 04:26 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If the spawn is still on I would go as far back into a clearing creek as you could and look for some toads. But man to tell you the truth I'm just as stumped as you are. I also have a tournament this weekend and after a flood like this I can't even think of what the fish would be doing. I'm also interested to find out what long term ramifications this flood will have on the fish population. I know they have already put a ban on the Cumberland in Nashville for any fish taken for eating.

The weekend the flooding was taking place a buddy of mine was fishing KY lake and he was on a shallow flat pattern using cranks. Dunno if any of that helps.
Old 05-09-10, 10:00 PM   #3
walkeraviator

If its still in teh timbers and muddy, I would pitch a Jig (black blue or PB&J) in the heart of the thickest cover. And maybe a chatter bait. If it is clearing up, i would move a little deeper but still at the edge of teh flooded timber with spinners and chatterbaits. In the morning i would give topwater a try... frogs and buzzers...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 11:03 PM   #4
txriebe
BassFishin.Com Member

flippin the shallows is a good idea. if that current gets going i'd throw a football head jig out a little deeper
Old 05-17-10, 07:07 AM   #5
walkeraviator

Ya know, I tried this approach on Taylorsville Lake in Ky last week. water was 15 above summer pool. Heavy stain but not muddy. I pitched Black/Blue and PBJ Jogs with and without rattles. I pitched different size and color plastics. Not a sniff. So maybe I was wrong...
Old 05-17-10, 08:12 AM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
If its still in teh timbers and muddy, I would pitch a Jig (black blue or PB&J) in the heart of the thickest cover. And maybe a chatter bait. If it is clearing up, i would move a little deeper but still at the edge of teh flooded timber with spinners and chatterbaits. In the morning i would give topwater a try... frogs and buzzers...
That's kinda what I was think. Also may wanna try a wide wobble crank.

But maybe find current, fish a jig there.
Old 05-17-10, 09:24 AM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

At this point, I would suggest dynamite.
Old 05-22-10, 01:20 PM   #8
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Ya know, I tried this approach on Taylorsville Lake in Ky last week. water was 15 above summer pool. Heavy stain but not muddy. I pitched Black/Blue and PBJ Jogs with and without rattles. I pitched different size and color plastics. Not a sniff. So maybe I was wrong...
I tryed my lizards, creature baits also, even live minnows, nada here also. Well I one hook up, but it got off 5 feet from the few the banks I found. (I've heard the lake is down enough to fish now though, and plan on going Sat evening Sunday day.)
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 01:27 PM   #9
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
I tryed my lizards, creature baits also, even live minnows, nada here also. Well I one hook up, but it got off 5 feet from the few the banks I found. (I've heard the lake is down enough to fish now though, and plan on going Sat evening Sunday day.)

I have a feeling it wont be fishable until they get it to summer pull and stop pulling water so hard. Then giv eit a week for the watre to stabilize and the silt to settle... THEN it will be fishable...
Old 05-22-10, 01:50 PM   #10
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well the marina said they were about 2' high still. (which the parking lot was 15 to 18' deep) So who knows, we might just head to Cedar Creek then, and give it a few more weeks to recover on Taylorsville. Thanks for the heads up!! That's a long haul for us here in Nicholasville Ky.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 02:14 PM   #11
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
Well the marina said they were about 2' high still. (which the parking lot was 15 to 18' deep) So who knows, we might just head to Cedar Creek then, and give it a few more weeks to recover on Taylorsville. Thanks for the heads up!! That's a long haul for us here in Nicholasville Ky.
corps website says taylorsville is 5.8ft above summer pool.
Old 05-24-10, 08:25 PM   #12
joessmokin
BassFishin.Com Member

I fished KY lake both saturday and sunday out of Parris landing and they had tournaments both days with Sat. winners with over 19LBS and Sundays with over 29LBS. I did not do well either day, lots of short fish but did manage to get my first small mouth that weight 2.8.
With that said I became a spong around weigh in and found the top boat were using deep crankbaits.
joessmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.