Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-10, 04:17 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Proper Tournament Space

I just joined a bass club , a guy I know talked me into it. Anyway , he asked me where I plan to fish sunday. I ( foolishly ) told him since he has way more fishing experiance than me. I figured he would give me some insight. Instead , he says me and two other boats fish that cove , and its not very big , especially for three boats , let alone four. They will stay in there all day. Now , I decided to fish that spot simply based on map study , and google earth. What do I do ? Give up on the place i expect the majority of the fish to be ??
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 04:24 PM   #2
MIbasser

Hope you have the fastest boat (and some people wonder why you need a 70mph boat)!! Most clubs will have rules as to how close you can come to somebody. I think it's 50 yards when you are anchored. Now with the TM down it is another story and I think you can pass right next to somebody. But, it is a courtesy thing.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 05:07 PM   #3
cassidyta

I believe that this should be in your club's by-laws.

How does your club start? Are they a shotgun start or do they assign flights. If they assign flights then the fastest boat may not matter. Some clubs, mine included, state that you can not pass the first flight unless they waive you by.
My club says that you have to be 100 feet away from another boat. You may troll by closer but can not fish in their spot while moving.
If you can get there first, then by all means stick with your plan. If not, I would consider working the edges of the cove and also finding a secondary point.
Old 04-26-10, 05:18 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

All I can say is make sure you've gotta fast boat, and make you (and him) know the rules about distance!
Old 04-26-10, 05:40 PM   #5
CMorg

haha , 25hp , Im getting passed. Its a number draw take off. Anyway , this one cove has alot of secondary points , shallow water , and a good 20' section. It really does have it all I think , and I also think thats why everyone else wants it...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 05:48 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

Ask yourself this question.
If you hadn't told that guy where you were fishing would you still be going there???
Old 04-26-10, 06:08 PM   #7
3dkicker

If some one if fishing an area you'd like to fish stop and watch them for a couple minutes. Figure out if they are moving in one direction, working back and forth, or just sitting in one spot. Then idle up and ask. Let them fill you in. That way you don't fish in front of them or you can move to an area close but not crowd them.
Second give them 50 yards or so. Unless you are good friends then go over and hit his boat with the biggest jig or Hopkins you have!!! Tell 'em to move along or else!!!
Third is to give them time to leave. Many guys run and gun and will only spend 15 minutes or so in one spot.....unless they are catching fish. And then some will spend hours in one spot not catching anything.
Once you start fishing and you're working a spot or moving back and forth be ready to explain what you are doing or intend to do. I find it's easier to start the conversation, find out what they are doing and then explain what you'd like to do. Ask if it will cause any problems. Most of the time this works.....but be ready for those who just don't care.
Old 04-26-10, 06:42 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Most clubs have a 50 yard rule. In our club and most other tournaments around here state that you cannot fish within 50 yards of a competitors boat that is anchored with the trolling motor in the up position. If the trolling motor is down then you can fish as close to them as you want. I hate to sound like a grade school teacher here but just go with the golden rule. Don't incroach on them in any way that would upset you if the tables were turned and you will be fine, and if you beat them there then the golden rule is on him. Without seeing the area it's hard to say if you should go there or not but chances are that it is big enough for you all to have your water and most likely you won't bother each other. The pros share water a lot and for the most part there isn't problems. One guy will be working an area hard with one technique while another guy is only a few boat lengths away fishing it in a totally different manner, and as good as these guys are if their is enough fish in an area for two of them then there will be plenty of fish in that area for you guys.

Anyways that's my take on the situation.
Old 04-26-10, 11:19 PM   #9
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Here is a possiblity that I don't think anyone mentioned. He could be bluffing. There maybe one boat, two boats or none in that cove when you get there. Be nice if they are there when you get to the cove. Remember have fun and enjoy the day on the water.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 11:45 PM   #10
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Here is a possiblity that I don't think anyone mentioned. He could be bluffing. There maybe one boat, two boats or none in that cove when you get there. Be nice if they are there when you get to the cove. Remember have fun and enjoy the day on the water.

Kind of implied in what I said lol. If not as implicet.
Old 04-27-10, 11:18 PM   #11
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Courtesy and the golden rule should be followed whether tournament fishing or just for fun.

I've seen alot of instances of poor behavior and lack of respect including some tournament fishermen who seem to think since theyre in a competition they have more right to certain waters than someone fishing for fun. I've also seen the opposite where a recreational angler has gone out of their way to harass a competitor.

Either way is wrong and unsportsmanlike.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.