Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-10, 09:26 PM   #1
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jig setup (rod&reel)

What do you guys use to throw a jig on. I have been told over and over again that the setup that I use is all wrong for pitchin/flippin a jig. I have a quantum 7'4" MH rod and a quantum energy 770pt reel and trilene 17 pound 100% floro line. They keep telling me that the rod isn't heavy enough or long enough. I know all the pros use 7'6" to 8' heavy action rods and either 20 to 25 pound test floro or 50 to 65 pound braid for this type fishing but in my defense I don't just use this rod for flippin and I'm not fishing mated grass or hyrilla. Mostly rocks and trimber/laydowns. Do you guys that this setup is inadequate? Should I invest in an 8' heavy action rod and 65 pound braid? Oh I forgot to mention that the largest jig I throw is a 3/4 oz football head but thats casting not flippin. For flippin I mostly I use 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigs. This is a technique that I am just learning or at least trying to gain alittle more confidence in.

Thanks all input is helpfull, DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 09:32 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

m/h is a good action i think pal. i use a meavy action lighting rod myself, 7 footer with a abu garcia pro max reel. i love my set up. i use this for flipping, casting,jigging,worms and lizzards. one thing i might suggest depending on WHERE oyu are jigging, if there is ANY type of grass, you may want to switch form flour to braided line.
Old 05-19-10, 10:05 PM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a 7'2 mh rod with a revo sx for flippin 17lb fluoro, and a 7' with revo s with 50lb braid. Depends on what structure I'm flippin.
Old 05-19-10, 11:13 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would say that only you can answer that question. Does it feel "right" to you when you fish it? What you have sounds like a perfectly adequate jig set up, don't get all hung up in what your friends tell you or what the pros use. Just fish with it and determine what YOU want in a jig rod.

For the record I usually use a 7'MHF rod with 50lb braid for jig fishing. I tend to cast jigs more than flip/pitch and the rod is a very stout MH.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 11:47 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Based on what you described as your normal fishing conditions there is absolutley no reason for you to invest in a longer flippin stick. I throw all of my jigs on 7' heavy power rods and in my opinion there isn't a better jig rod out there. I also use these rods for a lot of flippin and pitching too when I am fishing laydowns or isolated brush. I do have a few 7'6" "Flippin Sticks" that I will use when I need to but to be honest I don't need them all that often and from the sounds of it neither do you. Personally speaking I don't like a MH rod for jigs, they just don't have enough backbone for me. When I am dragging a football jig in deep water I want a lot of backbone in my rod and very little stretch in my line so that I get better hooksets. That being said, if you aren't having any problems with your current setup then don't change anything. For line I think you are right on target, if you don't need braid then stick with flouro, I use it for all of my jig fishing and a lot of my flippin and pitching as well.
Old 05-20-10, 02:24 AM   #6
pig n jig

A MH action is fine for pitching jigs.Flippin technique requires a heavier action rod that is not needed in pitchin technique,it creates more effort when making hundreds of pitches throughout the day.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 06:43 AM   #7
keithdog

I think your just fine as far as equipment goes. I use a 6'10" heavy for pitchin in heavy cover. Your 7'4" rod will work just fine for pitchin/flippin as well comcidering the conditions you describe.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 08:52 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I also think you're set up is fine. For the cover you've described, there's no need for a broomstick of a rod. Obviously, you could flip a bit farther with a longer rod, but I actually prefer pitching with a short (7') rod. So what you've got is a good mix of both. Just remember, there is no right and wrong setup to use, just use what works for you and not what "they" keep telling you you need.

I fish lighter grass and weeds, and sometimes some thick pads, and I use a 7'6" MH F rod for flipping. But for pitching, casting jigs, and sometimes frog fishing, I use a 7' H XF.

As for the reel, any reel should work fine. I've heard of people use a slow reel (5:1) for cover fishing to give them more torque to pull fish out of the cover. I've heard of people using a 6:1 gear ratio reel, and a lot of guys use a high speed (7:1) reel to pull the fish out of the cover quickly. It's all what you prefer to use.

Also, you're 17lb fluorocarbon is just fine. Since you're not fishing heavy weedy cover, there's no need to go to braid. Infact, you may benefit from the "invisibility" of FC fishing laydowns and rocks and such.

BB
Old 05-20-10, 08:06 PM   #9
DJ_Callahan_27

Thanks for the help guys. I make a small change to my setup. Instead of the Energy 770 PT I put my Accurist AC501PT on this rod so that I wouldn't have to change hands while pitchin. This is the first lefthanded baitcaster that I have woned and haved tried it out other than in the yard. I also decided to try 20 pound XPS floro instead of the 17 pound Trilene 100% floro. Don't know how good this line is, it is also a first time buy. The 20pound XPS has the same line diameter as the 17 pound 100% floro. Same rod though. It is a PTC745FGS 7'4" MH Gary Klein Sig. Series rod. I think it will work out good. Any thoughts on the XPS floro line?
Thanks again guys, DJ
Old 05-20-10, 08:25 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

I know a lot of guys like XPS floro, but I personally hate it. I think it has way too much memory and one of my tourney partners just peeled it off of 3 reels for the same reason. It's a little pricey but I will stick with my Seaguar AbrazX.
Old 05-20-10, 09:06 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

DJ, I haven't used BPS fluoro, but I've got to say I love Seaguar InvisX and wouldn't hesitate to buy the AbrasX either.

BB
Old 05-22-10, 08:26 AM   #12
Jim80

I use a 7' m/h rod as well although compared to my other m/h rods this one is def stiffer , and 65lb braid .

Jim
Old 05-22-10, 10:17 AM   #13
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Most of my flippin/pitchin is done with a Falcon Original - 7' (unfortunately they don't make this one anymore).

It is a MH/F. I own a couple flippin sticks, but I think because I've been using this rod for so long, I'm the most comfortable with it.

Your rod setup sounds fine.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 02:48 PM   #14
Cavs1123

I think your setup is fine.
Old 05-22-10, 03:30 PM   #15
Rebbasser

I'm going to say it depends. On what? How you are fishing the jig. Flipping/pitching I use a H action rod and 50 lb braid but like you I don't do it that much due to the lakes I fish. But if you are casting the jig your setup should be fine.
Old 05-22-10, 07:27 PM   #16
Bassboss

Your rods fine! The length is perfect imo, and the power is good as long as you're not going into SUPER thick stuff! Your line's fine too! If you're having some problems with it though, I hear AbrasX is good for the job, I've never used it though, so I can't say for cretin!

But lemme tell ya this! Forget what everyone else says, all the matters is what WORKS for YOU!!
Old 05-23-10, 12:40 PM   #17
DJ_Callahan_27

Thanks guys, I plan on getting out there and trying it out the first chance I get but from the way it is looking it may be a while (having a few boat issues now). You know what they say, IF IT ANY ONE THING IT'S ANOTHER. But I do like the feel of the rod and just playing with it in the yard I think it's just what I'm looking for to get me started and to build confidense in the pitching/flippin game or has I call it the punchin/floppin game. Still haven't got the whole silent entry mastered yet. Sometimes it sounds like I'm trying to knock the bass out. LOL

DJ

Last edited by DJ_Callahan_27; 05-23-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 03:56 PM   #18
Backwater Charlie

A 6'8 to 7' MH rated 10 to 20lb or 12 to 25lb rod, 17lb Stren and a mid-range (6.3) baitcasting reel would be what I'd use.

Unfortunately, I have to settle with a shorter MH rod Sounds like a plan for a new rod
Old 05-23-10, 08:00 PM   #19
pig n jig

I hate floro for knot shock strength.Don't be concerned with line stealth.This is a sledge hammer presentation. 50 lb braid is what I suggest. Practice raising the rod tip as it starts to enter the waters surfaceThis stops the momentum of the lure and allows it to fall softly through the water.I pitch left handed when using right handed reels,it's not as difficult as you think rather than pitch right handed and then switch hands on the retrieve,you pitch left and your ready to retrieve.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 08:57 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Callahan_27 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I make a small change to my setup. Instead of the Energy 770 PT I put my Accurist AC501PT on this rod so that I wouldn't have to change hands while pitchin. This is the first lefthanded baitcaster that I have woned and haved tried it out other than in the yard. I also decided to try 20 pound XPS floro instead of the 17 pound Trilene 100% floro. Don't know how good this line is, it is also a first time buy. The 20pound XPS has the same line diameter as the 17 pound 100% floro. Same rod though. It is a PTC745FGS 7'4" MH Gary Klein Sig. Series rod. I think it will work out good. Any thoughts on the XPS floro line?
Thanks again guys, DJ
Yeah, I've used it! Good stuff right there! It's got a bit of memory, but nothing to toss it out over (like tripple sh!t.. er.. um.. fish). It's also a little lower sensitive than some others I've used. Good abrasive resistance too.

You should like it pretty good!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.