Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-11, 05:36 PM   #1
PondBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for some advice...

Hey guys,

About two months ago, I found a nearby private pond that I was allowed to fish on. At first the fishing was great; I would catch probably 10 an hour with half of them being over 2 pounds, some ranging up to 6 pounds. This is a relatively small pond, only about an acre, were I am about the only person that fishes it. It it about 4 feet deep at its deepest point, and I do the majority of my fishing along the shoreline were the fish have been holding. I'm not in a boat, rather am just walking around on the shore. All I have used since going there are pink zoom trick worms (quite possibly overlooked, a great bait that I always trust). The bass loved 'em, but all of a sudden, in the past three weeks, the fishing has decreased. I know it's most likely because I've only been using the trick worms. They've probably gotten used to it. What I need is some tips about how to get back to catching these fish. Do you suggest a change in technique, presentation, color, new bait, etc? The important things to know are that this pond is very small, can be walked around completely, the fish are pretty skidish, the pond is very shallow, and the bottom of the lake is covered with a mucky substance that is easily collected on any bait.

If you have any questions about the features of the pond or anything else, just post below.
Thanks in advance!

PB
PondBassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 07:05 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey PB Are you sure about the max depth? Are you keeping or releasing the fish? What is water source for the pond?..creek? watershed runoff? spring? Is the pond managed at all? ....fertilized? aereated? etc? A 1 acre pond left to its own devices can only support a limited amount of life. When you say "about" the only one that fishes this pond, understand that one other good fisherman thats keeping fish can easily catch most if not ALL the catchable fish in a small pond in one season. Your question is deceptively simple but could generate thousands of pages of answers. Try a #5 floating Rapala on light line...a small beetle spin....a 4" finesse wacky worm. What is the water color? If its fairly clear climb a tree overhanging shallow water at sunrise or sunset (whichever puts the sun at your back) and sit up there real still for an hour and just look. Talk to the property owner and ask lots of questions about the ponds history---age---stockings---other anglers with permission----etc etc.
Old 09-22-11, 10:29 PM   #3
PondBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Kenneth,
Im releasing all fish, and there is only one person that fishes the pond and he only does it rarely. However, I have noted it is with some sort of violet colored Powerbait worm. He doesn't keep any of the fish either. However a family about a year ago, used to take all of the big bass they caught and were then banned from the pond (so says the owner).
About the depth: The deepest it gets truely is 4 feet; it could be deeper in the middle but I can't cast that far.
The pond is not fed by any sort of creek or spring, I believe the only water it gets is from the rain and runoff.
The pond is a little more than an acre, and there are plenty of big bass in it. They have vicious topwater strikes in the late afternoon. I've tried topwaters multiple times before, however they seemed to be spooked by them.
I've talked to the owner, he said they used to have "massive" bass (he emphasized the massive part") in the 70's, when they used to stock it. I know there are big bass in here, I caught a real nice 6 and a half pounder when I first started fishing here. I do not believe the owner does anything to the pond in terms of fertilizing or aereating.
Finally, the water is very odd. There is a scum on top of the water, which varies in size each time I go there, but it is blown around the pond by the wind. Other than that it is pretty murky, a pretty dark brownish color to it, but when the sun shines on it right, you can see completely through the water because it is so shallow.
Thanks for responding,
PB
PondBassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 05:12 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, my opion here is the pond is too shallow and will not hold any "bigger fish". i think oyu have caught the biggest in there and there aren't anymore. in a small pond like this one needs to harvest so many pounds per year in order to maintain balance and get bigger sized bass.
the "scum" is not good. man. he needs ot put in a grass carp to get rid of that.

truly, the owner needs ot have a coservation officer come and assess the pond and tell him what he needs to do in order to get it back on track.
Old 09-23-11, 11:49 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Hey PB...........chances are this pond was bulldozed out in a bowl shape and there is likely much deeper water out in the middle. Bamas right about the shallow......you say you've caught 6+lb fish from it, so even if you're in S. Ga. and the pond is packed with food, that fish had to be somewhere between 5 & 8 yrs old. Up until this year most of Ga. has been in a drought and a little 1 acre 4 ft pond just fed by runoff wouldn't make it. Chances are its deeper and spring fed. Is there any fish holding structure...standing timber, stumps, fence lines, lilly pads, weed lines etc? If not you should ask permission to sink some brushpiles. Place them about a cast away from shore in 2 or 3 places that you know already hold fish. Sink them deep enough so nothing sticks above the water and only you know where they are. As far as the muck and scum that is almost certainly what's called filamentious (sp?) algae...probably from very fertile runoff somewhere uphill...maybe a farm or golf course or a subdivision? Grass carp are OK but they really don't like that stuff...of course they'll eat it before they starve but they will also eat all the good oxygen producing plants that you really want and need for a healthy pond(milfoil, lilly's etc). It would be great if you could buy a few dozen adult tilapia to put in there. They love to eat that scum plus they might take hold and breed....then you've got scum eaters that are also a high protein food source to fatten up the bass AND easy to catch and great tasting too! Carp are just carp. Finally the bass in a small lightly pressured pond can be skittish but they are also naive, I doubt they've been conditioned to your pink trick, but I'd still throw the stuff I mentioned above and whatever else you feel like, best to keep it small and natural looking. Keep us posted Ken

PS I don't want to bum you out but unless this pond is fenced, extremely remote or within sight of the owners home it's most likely being poached. Look for signs like litter, tangled line in shoreline cover, footpaths in places they shouldn't be, tire tracks that don't belong to you or the other people that have rights etc etc and report this to the owner.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 09-23-11 at 11:56 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 08:49 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The guys have given you very good info about the pond, so I'll make a couple suggestions about lure choice. I think Kens suggestion about a floating original Rapala is dead on. I'd go with a #7 myself. They are light, make virtually no splash and twitched on the surface, can cause explosive strikes. Also, I'm a spinnerbait guy, and this situation screams 1/4 oz. spinnerbait to me. White or white/chatrtruese skirt with gold double colorado blades would be ideal. That type spinnerbait can be worked very well in shallow water. Add a 3-4 inch twist grub trailer and it can be worked even slower. I would also remember the seasons are changing right now. Cooler nights, dropping water temps, changes in oxygen content of the water, all can cause changes in the behavior of bass. The smaller the body of water, the more abrupt the changes will be. The bass might just be in a negative mood brought about by changes in their environment.
Old 09-24-11, 10:18 AM   #7
lilmule

When clearer try a fluke or senko for a different look,sounds like algae a green moss like slime,try a floating frog or rat on it,it it gets on say a worm less likly to hit,but on a frog shouldnt matter.
Regardless of size or type of water they all go through changes,agree with must be spring fed otherwise would have dried up,also agree 1 acre in size can only contain so many fish.
Another outfit would be nice to get to the center as only an acre 226 ft circle,with a gsplash a heavy topwater lucky craft and a 7-8 ft two handed seeker rod,30 pd evo could cast across it myself or close.The center if were perfectly round is but 35 yards.
So size must be off and be a tad larger,as any entry level 50 dollar or even less outfit would cast that far,or should.Including a zebco 303.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 02:44 PM   #8
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

Fish the sunny side of the pond, might sound stupid but ive fished tons of ponds and in little ponds the fish are spooky. On the sunny side there is no shadow. Might want to try a black trick worm, you dont have to get too complicated and technical at a pond. You being in GA its still warm there, go and try throwing a all back buzzbait at night. One of my favorite ways to fish a pond.
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 01:14 PM   #9
3dkicker

Vary your baits and retrieves. Fish can learn. Try out a couple new baits each time you go.

Also remember that we all have good days and bad days.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.