Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-09, 05:02 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 253
Default Who is kevin ?

This guy seems to be all knowing in the bass world, giving us videos, tips, tricks. I've in fact never seen him in any tournements, whats his credentials besides this site. The future of bass fishing is his mato yet all his videos say the same old stuff. Veterans of the forums can be in there teens, please people a scam is a scam.
CCbass is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 06:34 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
WTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 7,466
Default

Just because he isnt in the big time tournaments doesnt mean he knows nothing, and just because he owns a site doesnt mean that he does. You take what you hear on the net for what it is worth, as always. Having a big name does not indicate honesty anyways, as we who follow fishing should damn well know by now.

Vets of his forum are often in their teens, as they have a new passion for the sport, lots of questions and in general youngsters are more internet friendly to begin with. Often they also need to fit in so thats another reason why they acculmulate posts. You take that for what its worth, too. Veteran status indicates nothing but a lot of posts. If you thought differently, if you attributed too much to people's veteran credentials - then the mistake is yours, not Kevin's.

What is a scam about this site? Where do you pay money to access this board to be scammed? Where is there a lack of value? Where is the sleight of hand? Because Kevin no doubt is paid for advertising? What? Are we to become communists? In that case I want a bailout so that I can purchase a boat as nice as 1FastLazer's.

What new things are you expecting from his videos? Secrets that will reduce bass fishing to just catching? You are a smart guy, surely you know such secrets do not really exist. Is there a bit of a scam involved in the promotion of fishing related "knowledge"? Yes, but only if you place an inordinate amount of trust in what can be learned from other people about fishing. Otherwise it is what it is, talk, that is good for its entertainment value and perhaps for challenging one's own conventions. Fish will dictate their own preferences in what they will accept.

I have posted here for a long time, and through that time period I have learned some things, made some freinds and wasted some time. That is the value of this site. It is not a textbook, it is not a scam, it is an online clubhouse for bass fishermen and all that entails - lies, embellishment, serious attempts at understanding the sport, bragging, questions with no answers and an attempt to establish commradery with fellow practioners of the sport.
__________________
Selling live waterdogs for less since 2005.

Last edited by WTL; 02-23-09 at 06:55 AM.
WTL is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 06:39 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,655
Default

Kevin is actually just a bot from the Talkcity days of chat...originally made to boot unruly chatters back in the 90s, many soon realized his potential to compete in fishing forums and the lucrative monies that soon follow.
And your correct and smart about observing that all the veterans are actually a team of eight graders doing a "science project" ..
It was just recently discovered that this site gets kick backs from any bait monkey activity...
thanks for asking, you're the first that's ever figured it out...
carry on
JB is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:25 AM   #4
sharpe012010
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
sharpe012010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: tuscaloosa, alabama
Posts: 112
Default

WTL whats with the bass count and weight? im gonna need some pictures because they dont grow that big in huntsville!!!
__________________
Cant catch em sittin at home...
Total # bass 09: 125 Largest 09: 8.6 lb
sharpe012010 is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:40 AM   #5
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

That's Mr. Scarselli to you Bub...

Anyways, Kevin is just a man who has found his niche in the Bassfishin World.


~Mark
woody is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:47 AM   #6
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Bob Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cartersville, Georgia
Posts: 1,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
This guy seems to be all knowing in the bass world, giving us videos, tips, tricks. I've in fact never seen him in any tournements, whats his credentials besides this site. The future of bass fishing is his mato yet all his videos say the same old stuff. Veterans of the forums can be in there teens, please people a scam is a scam.

As somebody who purports to be a biologist, a highly educated degree type person, you seem to be missing some critical writing skills and certainly have a less than polished approach to presenting your points. In fact you come across as brash and sarcastic in most cases. I think maybe it's time for you sit back and take stock in your own shortcomings and spend less time worrying about everybody else.

Kevin is the owner of this site and, in case you haven't noticed, is a very considerate person who loves to share information with people at no cost to you. Many of us actually like this individual and share a mutual offense to your attack.
__________________
Bob Smith a.k.a. "Porko" (vintage Strike King variety!)
Bob Smith is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:55 AM   #7
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,134
Default

Ask not what Kevin can do for you but what you can do for Kevin!
doc is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:03 AM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
 
Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suffolk County, NY
Posts: 542
Default

CCbass, I'm going to take your post as a legitimate question, and while I can't answer it past my personal understanding and observations, it might help you understand this site and Kevin some what better.

I 1st came here to view a video that Kevin put together on using Google Earth combined with other add ons etc that was posted at my home regional site: NYBASS.com.

The video, like all his other videos were professionally produced and shown in both regular and HD. A great leap forward to many of the efforts I've viewed on the net to date. This led me to assume that Kevin is in the video production business with the expertise to produce these videos. As for his content, it's always been factual, correct (to the best of my limited knowledge), and offers his personal insights that are solid tips that will produce fish under similar conditions. His Drop Shot and 2 part videos on jigs are just dead on from how he fishes. that doesn't infer that you can't use a different jig wt or type to produce the desired results that you're after. That is if you have a legitimate reason for using that jig.

I'm assuming that the Bass boat that Kevin uses is his, but that doesn't mean that he's a pro. Many on this list own expensive Bass boats. And he's never come out and mentioned that you need such and such equipment to produce results, just what types are best suited to a particular technique. How refreshing it is not to have a brand name thrown at you but rather a type and why.

What I quickly came away with is that Kevin is an accomplished Bass fisherman, with a vast knowledge base that he is freely willing to share with all of us both here in the forums, and with professionally produced videos with excellent content. Kevin has mentioned that he does fish some tournaments, but that doesn't mean his a professional, nor does he ever imply such.

What more could you ask for? I've watched 100s and 100s of fishing shows, and the vast majority of them are basically infomercials. There are some that are really well produced like Lindler's Angling Edge. But are any of the Lindler's any more qualified to produce a fishing video then Kevin? There credentials don't indicate such.

My adivice is to enjoy this site. Take what information that will benefit you, join in the forums to add your expertise and or points of view, and just have a good time here.
__________________
Joel
1st you have to find 'em
Joel is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:15 AM   #9
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
MississippiBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ridgeland MS
Posts: 3,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
This guy seems to be all knowing in the bass world, giving us videos, tips, tricks. I've in fact never seen him in any tournements, whats his credentials besides this site. The future of bass fishing is his mato yet all his videos say the same old stuff. Veterans of the forums can be in there teens, please people a scam is a scam.
I've never heard of you, either, so does that mean I shouldn't believe a word you post? You say you're a biologist, you say you've won tournaments, you say you know a lot about fish, bass in particular. All that may be true, but how do we know?

Easy...we learn through our experience with you. If you start making some good solid points about bass or fishing or what have you, we'll learn to believe you, and take your word for it that you may have won some tournaments or whatever. If you contribute to discussions, post some insightful questions, answer some questions others have, and share your experiences, we on this site will accept what you say.

There is a flip side, though, and I think you may understand what it is by what others have said in response to your original question. If you take it upon yourself to attack Kevin, any respect that any of us have for you goes right out the window. Kevin is the founder of this site, whom all of us have come to respect because of his actions and his knowledge and his willingness to help anyone and everyone. Some of us have been on this site for somewhere around 10 years. I'm a relative newbie; It's been a little less than 2 years since I joined. But I can tell you that Kevin has made a wonderful site here, and his videos and instructions that you say are just the same old stuff are vaulable tools to a lot of people. I can't tell you how many times I've come to this site on a Friday night before I go fishing Saturday, just to refresh my memory on a few things.

So he isn't known nationally, maybe he hasn't won any big tournaments. Why should we care about that? He's an honest guy that wants to share what he knows, and gives us all a place to share our knowledge and experiences.

I'm done with this. You've got a long way to go now for ANYONE on here to take what you say seriously. Have a good life.
MississippiBoy is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:38 AM   #10
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
jmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bridgewater Va
Posts: 304
Default

Here is a fun little fact!!! Several weeks ago at the Va Fishing Show I run smack into Dean Rojas and didnt know him. However several hours later at BPS I saw Kevin several isle's away and recognized him and made a point to go introduce myself to him, and thank him for what he has done on this site. So my point being, you dont hafta be a Pro to be known and respected. And I have yet to pay for the load of information I have recieved here. A man by the name of Webster says this about a scam......

noun
1. a fraudulent business scheme

verb
1. deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"

Mr. Scarselli has in no way done this to any of us here on this site. So in conclusion I am gonna assume you were talking about another kevin from another place.

Happy Fishing,

Jerry
__________________
"Body Piercing by Springfield"
jmartin is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 11:25 AM   #11
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Bryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
This guy seems to be all knowing in the bass world, giving us videos, tips, tricks. I've in fact never seen him in any tournements, whats his credentials besides this site. The future of bass fishing is his mato yet all his videos say the same old stuff. Veterans of the forums can be in there teens, please people a scam is a scam.
Sorry you feel that way CCbass. With the number of threads you've started recently I assumed you were enjoying yourself here.

I think it's safe to say that I know Kevin better than anyone else here, so you can trust me when I say that this website and his videos are not a "scam". His videos have received acclaim from everyone from casual weekend anglers, to owners of other bass fishing websites, to professionals competing at the highest level. All of the content here is original, hardly the "same old stuff".

No, you won't find Kevin's name among the competitors of an Elite Series event. He's much too busy maintaining this free, innovative, and informative website to be able to fish National tournament circuits. Had he not decided to devote his time, and essentially his life, to Bassfishin.com over a decade ago it might be a different story.

You would not believe how much time and effort Kevin has put into this website. Most guys -myself included- work 40 hours a week. If Kevin only worked 40 hours in a week it would mean that he took 4 days off. Kevin did not take any fancy web design, photography, film, or writing courses. Believe it or not this stuff was self-taught. Now he has professionals coming to him for advice.

If you'd like to become a veteran of the forums, just post. Share your ideas (as you have been), tips, techniques, and reports with everyone. You don't have to win any big tournaments or catch record bass to be respected here. Or if you choose, you can always find another website to hang out, but I'm confident you won't find a better one.

If you have ideas for new videos, articles, or blogs I'm sure that Kevin would be happy to hear them. He won't even ask for your credentials first
Bryan is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 11:31 AM   #12
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Tennessee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West,TN
Posts: 188
Default Wow !!!

Thank God you live in America cause you probly be cain-whipped if it were some were else ...LOL

Just for the record I'm not a rocket geek..Just as country as fire wood..and I'm the kinda guy that still opens doors for ladies and says Yes Sir No Mama

I'm also 30 years old and I have several cousins not in thier 20's that can fish with the best of them !!!

As for Kevin and who he is....Well I personally haven't meet him .. and I don't care if he isn't well know or won big tourney's. Anyone willing to spend time helping others enjoy fishing... well their OK in my book

As for the money he might make from forum sponsors...I challenge anyone here to buy the software and the camera equipment and monitor the site and keep up with internet tech needs that occur at the speed of light now, and I think you will see the cost is something you don't want to pay for.

By the way Kevin Thank you for what you Do Sir

Later Will
Tennessee is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 11:40 AM   #13
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
 
Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suffolk County, NY
Posts: 542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
....You would not believe how much time and effort Kevin has put into this website. Most guys -myself included- work 40 hours a week. If Kevin only worked 40 hours in a week it would mean that he took 4 days off. Kevin did not take any fancy web design, photography, film, or writing courses. Believe it or not this stuff was self-taught. Now he has professionals coming to him for advice. ...
Bryan, you mean to tell me that Kevin isn't a professional in the audio/visual field? And he's self taught too boot. That is just amazing. And here I am alsways struggling to learn the in's and out's of a new digital camera or program for my computer.
__________________
Joel
1st you have to find 'em
Joel is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:13 PM   #14
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Bryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Bryan, you mean to tell me that Kevin isn't a professional in the audio/visual field? And he's self taught too boot. That is just amazing. And here I am alsways struggling to learn the in's and out's of a new digital camera or program for my computer.
Yep, he learned it all on his own so he could use it here. If he's a professional it's because he inadvertantly turned himself into one. I can barely type my own name on a keyboard so it amazes me too.

byrAn
Bryan is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:16 PM   #15
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
 
Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suffolk County, NY
Posts: 542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Yep, he learned it all on his own so he could use it here. If he's a professional it's because he inadvertantly turned himself into one. I can barely type my own name on a keyboard so it amazes me too.

byrAn
I would love to read Kevin's bio. Maybe he would grace us and post one. Many here, like myself are new comers to the site who have totally misconstrued who Kevin is. One thing for sure, he can really fish and catch Bass.
__________________
Joel
1st you have to find 'em
Joel is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 01:58 PM   #16
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Foyt20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: R-Ville, Central NJ
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Foyt20
Default

Most forums (most not as nice as this forum alone, let alone the video and article section) are not run by PRO people, but just people that enjoy a subject, and want to create a forum to allow other fans or devotees to share information and to learn.

It is pretty ignorant to come in to a site and start bashing the creator/founder/admins trying to put a title or a value to the information that they provide.

The internet is an amazing tool that allows the world to compile and share data, and put it into a useable and researchable information database. Anyone can do this, and if you have a problem with this site, you have the choice not to use any of the information that is presented by anyone including "Kevin".
Foyt20 is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 03:08 PM   #17
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
aikenyounggun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: aiken, SC
Posts: 2,051
Default

yeah kevin is just a guy with a website that wants to help people... Stop being so aggravating.

And if you keep dissin on the kids on here im gonna get mad. I will fish you any freekin day of the week, anywhere, and with anything and you try to tell me i wont have a good chance of kickin your butt. Kids like me are the kids that your kids are gonna freekin idolize because we are on website like this trying to learn all we can from the older guys that respect us. We are also the kids that fish the pond three times of week and spent 13 hours at the lake this weekend. Yeah we can rack up post but we aint doing it as a freekin contest. Dont bash on the future of the sport. We need more kids to be on here so when you are dead fishing still lives on and grows bigger and bigger.

Please dont diss on the kids or Kevin while on this webiste. Yeah im 14 but i aint no 8th grader doing a science fair project.

sorry about the rant to the people that care
__________________
<>< Rather be Fishing ><>
aikenyounggun is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 03:26 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
please people a scam is a scam.
and an idiot is an idiot. you have yet to make one post that seems realative and i haven't read one of your post that makes me think you have a lick of knowledge about fishing. you have some bs theories that are far from true and then you claim them to be gospel and anyone who disagrees with you gets a lecture on why you are right. since you have joined you have done nothing but upset people on here and now you are running your mouth about kevin, who by the way puts in more work on this sight than you could ever imagine. maybe it's time you just move on don't bother posting here anymore because i for one am sick of it.

GUYS I SAY WE JUST IGNORE THIS MORON!
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.
carolina-rig-01 is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 03:48 PM   #19
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
MississippiBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ridgeland MS
Posts: 3,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
and an idiot is an idiot. you have yet to make one post that seems realative and i haven't read one of your post that makes me think you have a lick of knowledge about fishing. you have some bs theories that are far from true and then you claim them to be gospel and anyone who disagrees with you gets a lecture on why you are right. since you have joined you have done nothing but upset people on here and now you are running your mouth about kevin, who by the way puts in more work on this sight than you could ever imagine. maybe it's time you just move on don't bother posting here anymore because i for one am sick of it.

GUYS I SAY WE JUST IGNORE THIS MORON!
Post of the year, folks. Post of the year...

I'm giving him the chance to reply to this post. I'm going to wait and see what he says now. Surely he realizes he stuck his foot in his mouth so far his toes smell like sh!t, and I want to see what he has to say. One chance, that's it.
MississippiBoy is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 03:50 PM   #20
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
WTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 7,466
Default

I dont think we need to crucify the guy. He said something stupid, the grammar and time he posted it makes me wonder if he hadnt had something to drink cause his other posts were fine - to be honest I was taken a little aback by the attack on Kev cause, really, what has Kevin done to anyone?
__________________
Selling live waterdogs for less since 2005.
WTL is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 03:55 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
what has Kevin done to anyone?
you mean beside giving us a great site to talk about fishing and meet new people? i don't care if he had anything to drink or not it was uncalled for just like his personal attack on bob smith in one of his earlier post.
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 02-23-09 at 05:21 PM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 05:08 PM   #22
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
WTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 7,466
Default

I must have missed the attack on Bob Smith. Not a nicer or a better angler on this board.
__________________
Selling live waterdogs for less since 2005.
WTL is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 05:11 PM   #23
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 401
Default

I have personally known Kevin since he was 14. You won't find anyone with a greater passion for this game. This passion is what drives him to learn and then pay it forward. He is very grounded in his faith, his self, and his fishing.
dave is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 05:12 PM   #24
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 401
Default

ccbass sounds as if he is just trying to get a rise out of us.
dave is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 05:20 PM   #25
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
3dkicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 4,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
I've in fact never seen him in any tournements, whats his credentials besides this site.
Maybe you should use the search feature and read some of the posts that he's done on some of the topics that have come up here. A couple of years ago Kevin posted a little information about fishing tidal water. I read the information was impressed at the depth of knowledge that he had on the subject. I enjoyed reading the information and learned from his experience and his ideas on how to fish that type of system. And after fishing competitively for years on tidal river systems I recognized that he had "credentials".
__________________
Smitty
www.smittystubes.com
3dkicker is offline  
Closed Thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2013 BassFishin.Com LLC