Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-10, 10:07 AM   #1
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Opinion, Should I get more HP?

I am running a 2006 Yamaha 15 HP 4-stroke on my Crestliner 14' Sportsman. I am contemplating selling it and getting either a Evinrude Etec 25 or 30hp, Or a 25hp Yamaha. Max Rating for the boat is 35hp.

The 15 hp Yamaha outboard is solid, excellent condition. Is it worth spending 2k for more HP? I don't fish tournaments, I fish for pure pleasure and the love of the sport.

Andy
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 12:04 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I'd say no. I recently bought a nearly immaculate 80's 25HP Yamaha for $750 and used it on a 14' and it goes around 20MPH. If you're not fishing tournaments, I don't see much reason to upgrade. Now if you're willing to get an older motor for cheap like I did, you could go faster and make some money seeing you have a 2006.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 01:53 PM   #3
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

I am happy with the Yamaha 15 hp, it's dependable and built to last. I can get her up to 20mph which is good. I think I would do myself better by getting a bow mount trolling motor to replace the existing transom mount which I find hard to manage.

Andy
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 09:32 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

More hp will go faster right? Then that is what you have to decide my friend. Do you want to get to your spot faster, or not? This is what you have to consider when upgrading anything on a rig. I have a 200 hp on my glass rig, it is rated for a 225, but i get to my spot with my trolling motor, haha. I understand if i were a tourny fisherman how important it is to get out there as fast as possible, but for me it doesn't make that much sense. I go as fast as i want with what i got. My rig had the motor on it when i bought it. I am ok with it. I have told folks that i ain't interested in going faster, i want to fish, not dish out dough at the pump. Hahaa.
Now i agree with changing out the trolling motor, i want to do this myself one day. Mine has a 56# thrust. Just ain't enough for a 20'-6" boat. I need at least an 80# thrust. One day.......one day.
Old 10-26-10, 03:38 PM   #5
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Now i agree with changing out the trolling motor, i want to do this myself one day. Mine has a 56# thrust. Just ain't enough for a 20'-6" boat. I need at least an 80# thrust. One day.......one day.
I hear that...(mines a 12v 55# Minn Kota...works great, but) I've been drooling over the remote control GSP models that can double as an anchor.... come in near yer favorite spot, select a previous marked location and the TM takes you there and keeps it within inches regardless of wind or current....so cool.....drool (if I only had a rich uncle!)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.