Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-08, 05:38 AM   #1
Amarillo Palmira
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trailer Brakes Smoking

Hey Guys,

As I was going to my fishing spot on Sunday (about 45 minutes from the house), I noticed a little smoke coming from one of my wheels. I pulled over and took a look. Didn't seem hot so I drove the rest of the way (about 5 more minutes) to the ramp.

Everything seemed fine on the way home. So, what do I do now? The trailer is a 2007 tandem axle Stratos Trail. The brakes are surge brakes. I plan to check the "actuator" (at least I think that's what is called) to make sure its not stuck and take all the bearings apart and repack everything. Also, take a look at the calipers and rotors and all that. Beyond that, not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions? Thanks! Amarillo Palmira
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 11:11 AM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Disk or drum ?
Single brake or double?

I have trailered so many years and I have a routine at every stop / fillup / lunch break. Now that I am older pee break too. I get out and walk around both sides of trailer and put my hand close to center of wheel to feel heat. Smell the air for burning and never ever touch the hub.. Burnt the skin right off my fingertips just once to learn that lesson.

I will help if I can.

Capt Mike
Old 07-08-08, 01:06 PM   #3
Bender

I read a good tip recently that said if you get an infrared temp gun and keep it in your glove box then when you get out shoot it at your hubs and develop a baseline temp. Then on all future trips you can compare the temps to see if a problem is developing.
I fished with a guy a few weeks ago who had a bearing seize when he was trailering after leaving the Detroit River in a pretty bad area. Luckily he got it fixed without incident, but I wouldn't want that to happen to me.
Edit: By checking the "actuator" are you talking about the little lever thing that resets the brakes if the safety cable gets pulled on? If not I would check that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 03:55 PM   #4
flfireman

If it was just a one time thing. You may have just got something hung up or picked up some debris or fluid. Did it feel as if you were dragging? Or it was going bad and something finally gave way, the smoke was the end result of it.
Old 07-08-08, 04:51 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

what type of smell did the smoke have? the diff between brake pads and oil/grease from a hub should tell you pretty quick.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:13 PM   #6
Jackl

PALMIRA,
Check the brake shoe actuators and make surer they are not locked up from rust. ROLCO trailers are bad about that problem, I am not familiar with STRATOS trailers. Do they have brake shoes and brake drums like ROLCO, or do they have disc brakes and pads?
A friend of mine has a ROLCO trailer with drums and shoes that was giving him that type of problem. We tore the hubs down and sand blasted every part inside the hubs, greased with waterproof grease and they worked fine for a couple years, then we overhauled and sand blasted them again, no problems!
JackL
Old 07-10-08, 08:27 PM   #7
Amarillo Palmira
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everybody for all the tips. Its a tandem axle trailer with single axle disc brakes. I launch in brackish rivers and after reading all your tips, I suspect its a rust problem.

I called Stratos and they are going to cover it under warranty, at least I think so at this point...

I will let y'all know the result.

Thanks again, very much, for all the help. Amarillo
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.