Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-09, 12:28 AM   #1
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hard Plastic Swim Baits

I had no idea how expensive these can get. Are they worth the money or is the better option the soft plastic swim baits? I think those are a lot more reasonable.
windycitybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 04:42 AM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

from the ones i have seen in action they are well worth it...they have incredibly realistic action.
Old 03-31-09, 06:44 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Soft plastics are going to be more adventatious around weeds and brush since they can be rigged nearly weedless. But in more open water I think the hardbody swimbaits are probably a better choice. As far as cost, think about this. Soft body swimbaits tear up pretty easily requiring you to buy replacments on a regular basis. Not so with the hardbody swimbaits. You could easily spend less in the long run with a hardbody.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 09:22 AM   #4
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

get the tru-tungsten it will catch a ton of fish and wont rip up after a couple of fish
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 02:55 PM   #5
TomLeogrande
BassFishin.Com Member

The Tru-Tungsten is a super bait. I am not a huge fan of the paint jobs - but, I just take them and send them to BaitWerks.com and get them painted whatever color I want. The action on them is really good.

My favorite hard bait swimbaits are: (and I throw them A LOT)

Bluegill : MattLures Hardgill
Bluegill (2) : Black Dog Shellcracker
Trout Sinking : Triple Trout
Trout Floating : Orso Split Tail
Trout Twitching : JSJ Snack Size Trout (4 Piece)
Baitfish Sinking : Rago Hitch 6"
White or Char/Shad : JSJ Snacksize Trout (4 piece)
Walking action : Black Dog Lunker Punker

The Lunker Punker is the Shiznit - if you live where decent size fish are and there is any kind of topwater bite (and sometimes when there isn't) the Lunker Punker is the real-deal!

just my .02
TomLeogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 03:04 PM   #6
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tom,

I think you nailed it. I have recently started throwing the Blackdog baits and love them. The ShellCracker is very durable compared to some of the other hard baits out there. Lunker Plunker is the best walking bait on the planet. One of the few topwater baits that can be thrown into the middle of a lake and bring back a fish.
I am not saying I disagree with your floating trout choice, but I prefer the 3:16 Armagedon. While it is not a true floater due to the bill, I tend to fish it on the top and allow it to dive a little while bringing it back in. I consider it a flaoater since I will never reach the bottom with it.
Old 04-06-09, 05:11 PM   #7
TomLeogrande
BassFishin.Com Member

Mickey gave me an Armageddon a while back and its a cool bait for sure. However, I have had much more success with the Orso Split Tail (in a much shorter amount of time) than I ever did with the Armageddon. My Armageddon has recently been laid to rest as I am sure it will be a collectors item some day.

The Snack Size trout by JSJ Baits is probably better than both of them but, I don't wake it - I twitch it. Which I do with the Shellcracker as well. If I want to wake it or swim it, I go to the Orso for trout and the Matt Lures hard gill for Bluegill.

That lunker punker is a big fish magnet!!! I could only imagine that bait on a place like Falcon or Amistad! Clear Lake and the Delta aren't too shabby either and its caught some donkeys in both of those lakes!
TomLeogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 06:01 PM   #8
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Clear and Delta tells me that I have a fellow west coast guy. Glad to hear it and welcome

I haven't thrown any of the JSJ much. I did get to toss one for a little while late last year on San Vicente, but it was more of a "check out this bait" outing. The Orso is great, but the Armageddon has been better for me as of late.

I ordered two more of the LPs last week.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.