Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-08, 11:41 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Texas Rigging Question

Lately, I have been having difficulty getting the fish to take the bait on a texas rig. I have had the line start to run, but gotten it spit out before I can set a hook. I can use the same worm and hook size on a carolina rig or weightless and land them. I have varied weight and hook size, and have rigged the hook lower in the worm with the same results.
I know the common sense answer is to quit messing with what works, but I figure there will be a time and place where carolina fails me and I need to go to Texas.
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-08-08, 02:58 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

wait for it....

oh you know it is comming....

can opener any one??

oh wait heres one i got off lancer6

here ya go

now that you just opened a really big family size can o worms with this question. your likely having brim hit or your using a worm that is WAY to big... carolina rigs are even worst at having brim or bass peck at the bait.. try some flavor

zooker
Old 08-08-08, 03:14 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

it could be something about the color you are using that is working at that time on a c-rig but for some reason isn't the ticket for a texas rig, they are different presentations and just because one will work at a given time doesn't mean that the other will. also it could be bluegill or maybe the size of worm like mentioned above. but when i am having this problem with any bait (from softplastics to crankbaits) i generally start making small adjustments in color. don't make adjustments all the way to the opposite side of the color spectrum but make small adjustments like maybe different color flake or maybe from watermellon to green pumpkin......you get the idea. there is no one answer to this and what is the answer today may not be the answer ever again so experiment with different baits, presentations, size of weights, ect. but like i said color is where i start.
Old 08-08-08, 03:34 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

Your not holding your mouth right.

JK

If you are getting a good hook set with a carolina rig but not a texas rig in the same water with the same plastic bait then I don't know what you are doing wrong. Maybe you are trying to set the hook to early. From my experience, if I wait a few seconds and let the fish swim with the bait a bit and then set the hook, I tend to bank more than if I try to set it at the slightest bump.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 04:10 PM   #5
cassidyta

Thanks all, I don't know that it is worm size, because I can use the same hook, worm size and colors. I have been able to see it happen a few times, and they are not brim. The bass are picking up the bait and just letting go. I suspect that they are feeling the weight and letting go, but I can't swear to it. I seldom get strong strikes in this lake anyways so am used to having to allow them to run with it. I have been using 4 and 6 inch worms with the same results.
Old 08-08-08, 06:15 PM   #6
zooker

use any garlic??

zooker
Old 08-09-08, 01:42 AM   #7
cassidyta

I have not added any scents to the worms. The lake/pond is on a military base, and they prohibit the use of any artifical attractants.
Old 08-09-08, 08:19 AM   #8
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Put some plastics into a container of live nightcrawlers overnight. The plastics will take on the scent of the living worms and you will increase your hold on time. Legal to do as you are using a natural scent. You can wipe them off and they will still retain the scent as the scent actually penetrates the plastic. If the plastics have salt, I'd suggest washing them in plain water first so as not to take a chance on killiing the worms.

I've had some buddies grinding up dead minnows and crawdads in a blender to make natural scents as well, but the mess isn't worth it to me.

Garlic is another natural scent that I don't see as being in violation, but I could be wrong on that call.....you'd have to find out. I can give you a recipe if you find it would be OK.

Last edited by Mac2; 08-10-08 at 08:18 AM.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 12:01 PM   #9
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try a Berkley Power Worm. I can't tell that fish bite them any better than say, Culprit or Zoom worms but I firmly believe they'll hold on to them longer.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 04:19 PM   #10
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a five inch Zoom u-tale with a 2/0 Gamakatzu hook with good luck.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 11:30 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
your likely having brim hit or your using a worm that is WAY to big... carolina rigs are even worst at having brim or bass peck at the bait..
Yep. Especially if your line starts running off. Them bluegill are nortorious for grabbing the tail and running off with it.
Old 08-10-08, 10:10 AM   #12
bamabassman

i have had some gills nibble at my worms tails as well. watched one eat it till the tail was gone! hate when that happens.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 12:55 PM   #13
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

I find that using the garlic dip seems to make the problem of bluegill playing with your soft plastics a lot worse.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.