Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-06, 07:11 PM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Night Fishing

My dad and I are hitting a spring fed pond tommorow night, about 15 feet deep, weeds on the bottom, maybe two acres, no apparent structure, no pads, gin clear. What to fish? I was thinking topwaters and spinnerbaits, but this is my first time night fishing, and I don't really know.
Old 05-16-06, 07:36 PM   #2
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Whenever i nightfish, i use a jitterbug. I always catch fish at night with one.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 09:04 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dark colored baits. Worms or lizards work well, something with a little more than average water movement. IE Zipper worms, creature baits. A Dark colored spinnerbait would also work. However top on my list is a BLACK JITTERBUG. But don't jump in the lake when they bass explodes on it 2 feet from the boat rotfl. By the way, be careful, with the low water levels, and the mating season of the gators, they have a advisory out, especially with the number of folks attacked recently.

Lizards
Old 05-17-06, 05:30 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Dark colored baits. Worms or lizards work well, something with a little more than average water movement. IE Zipper worms, creature baits. A Dark colored spinnerbait would also work. However top on my list is a BLACK JITTERBUG. But don't jump in the lake when they bass explodes on it 2 feet from the boat rotfl. By the way, be careful, with the low water levels, and the mating season of the gators, they have a advisory out, especially with the number of folks attacked recently.

Lizards
I', with lizzy on this one. Something dressed in black and bigger than usual is usually a great choice. Personally havent done well with the jitterbug mainly cause I am throwing a 10" power worm or a big 1/2oz, spinnerbait with a #6 deep dish colorado blade. And here's the trick.......put a rattle on the arm of the spinner. KILLER technique and then slow roll her with intermittent pumps. AHHHH what memorys of bass ripping the rod damn near outta my arms using that bait in clear water at night.
Old 05-17-06, 06:05 AM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i night fish a lot and use a black booyah clacker buzzbait.i also use black strike king rattlin midnight special spinnerbaits.white spinnerbaits can also work at night.if you use a worm go to a 10 incher with rattles inside it.
Old 05-17-06, 07:28 AM   #6
flbassman

So no white? It'll be almost a full moon.
Old 05-17-06, 10:51 AM   #7
dodgeguy

yeah,white works sometimes better than black.i also use braid at night.
Old 05-17-06, 11:46 AM   #8
Deacon

I would reccomend the same things....BLACK BLACK BLACK!!!!!! You could use Purple too. I would try a few other things as well. Try a 1/2 oz Colorado Blade Spinnerbait. Aloso try a 8-10 inch powerworm and red shad or black on a T-rig with brass and glass. A BIG fat lback jig with rattles is also a killer. I would(its alot bigger) also throw a MS Slammer swimbait. You need a big bait setup. The swimbait floats(made of wood). Slow roll it of the surface and thn kill it. Works miracles out here!If you can you will want to invest in a headlamp. BPS has a set called Cats eyes. It attaches to your hat. Makes retying a little easier.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-06, 03:25 PM   #9
flbassman

Alright, I'm gonna rig my spinner with some purple culprits, and put a white X-rap on my baitcaster. If those don't produce, I'll try a spinner. Unfotunetly, I don't have any in black.
Old 05-17-06, 08:36 PM   #10
jordan41

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

i would use a noisy bait for sure. maybe a spinner but most topwater.
Old 05-17-06, 11:23 PM   #11
bucky
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bucky

I am a new guy (FNG) but would like to comment on the night fishing. I agree with everyone else but on KY lake, a black/red glitter or black and blue tube can't be beat. I throw short arm spinnerbaits a lot but catch more fish on tubes than anything else.
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 08:40 AM   #12
flbassman

Nothinfor me. Only fished for about an hour, got one nice hit on a popper. Couldn't really see, the moon wasn't up. My dad lost my x-rap to some bushes, and my popper to either a turtle, pickerel or gator. Says he felt a thump, set the hook, and felt slack. Reeled in an empty line. My buddy caught about a 1.5 pounder on a black gator tail worm. Enjoyed the experience though, and we might head back one night with a canoe and some shiner.
Old 05-18-06, 08:50 AM   #13
dodgeguy

if you went right after sundown it takes 1 hour before their eyes adjust to the dark.
Old 05-18-06, 09:53 AM   #14
bayoufisher1
BassFishin.Com Member

I am a new member, but may have some pointers on night fishing being I have been doing it every Tuesday night for the last 5 years (local tournament). I agree with the rest of the guys as far as dark colors, and noise which puts a Carolina Rig at the top of my list. Also it seems that the later it gets the shallower the fish move so don't be scared to try some shallow water. Also any type of scent will help you on your catch. Hope this helps.
bayoufisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 12:57 PM   #15
flbassman

Welcome Bayou! I believe you'll like it here. Where is Ventress at? I spent some tim in collins mississipi, and then in Pass Christian, and I loved it. Those Bayou's are beautiful, especially as the sun sets.
Old 05-18-06, 05:01 PM   #16
skeeter944

welcome to the forum,bayou1!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-06, 08:40 AM   #17
bayoufisher1
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman
Welcome Bayou! I believe you'll like it here. Where is Ventress at? I spent some tim in collins mississipi, and then in Pass Christian, and I loved it. Those Bayou's are beautiful, especially as the sun sets.
Ventress is a small town about 30 miles West of Baton Rouge. Thanks for the welcome. Any info you guys would like to know about LA waters or LA Fishing just let me know.
Old 05-19-06, 11:02 AM   #18
Zach_BassFisherman

blue and black spinnerbait works the best for me!!
Old 05-21-06, 01:41 AM   #19
wvtroutdog@aol.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to wvtroutdog@aol.com Send a message via Yahoo to wvtroutdog@aol.com

noone metioned buzz baits???
Old 05-21-06, 06:10 AM   #20
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman
Nothinfor me. Only fished for about an hour, got one nice hit on a popper. Couldn't really see, the moon wasn't up. My dad lost my x-rap to some bushes, and my popper to either a turtle, pickerel or GATOR. Says he felt a thump, set the hook, and felt slack. Reeled in an empty line. My buddy caught about a 1.5 pounder on a black gator tail worm. Enjoyed the experience though, and we might head back one night with a canoe and some shiner.
Lemme get this straight...Night, small pond (= bank fishing?), dark (can't see your hand in front of your face?).........'GATOR
Art thou deranged?

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-06, 04:33 PM   #21
flbassman

F. Rod- Just a little. The pond is by our church, we see it every sunday, never seen anything big. You'd know if there was a gator big enough to hurt you. They really aren't that bad.
Old 05-21-06, 07:24 PM   #22
Rodman_Rob

why is everybody so dang scared of gators? if you're gonna night fish, you're gonna catch one every now and again. thats why I use braid and 7 foot rods. When I get the gator close, I wrap my rod/line around the snout a few times, jump on its back finish hog tieing it. its the misquitos you need to worry about.
Old 05-21-06, 07:26 PM   #23
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

deer flies up here bite as soon as they land, plus the skeeters are plentiful too..this week my feet had chigger bites all over, got some OFF and in good shape now...I am glad no gaters, we have snakes, but no copperheads or rattlers this north
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.