Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-06, 12:16 PM   #1
mommyva
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rocket Rod! Please help!

Hi all! I am new to this forum, and have read a few topics. You all seem very educated on the subject of fishing, so I need your advice, please! I have a five year old son, and he has really gotten into fishing lately. He has a Superman rod and knows how to cast very well. He even uses a friend's adult rod sometimes. However, when he is reeling it back in, the line ALWAYS gets caught on the grass, seaweed, etc. He gets very frustrated, and I have tried to show him how to reel it in so it doesn't get caught. He is of course, short, so he can only lift his rod so high. He saw the rocket rod on t.v., and was like "Whoa, cool! I want that." I asked him why he wanted it because he already had a pole. He said that it is supposed to help you not get your line caught (because of the big bobber). Is it really a piece of junk like you all are saying? I feel like a dummy because I was very close to getting it for him for Christmas until I read this forum. Please let me know if you think it's o.k. for a little kid like him, or if you think it's a waste of money. Also, if you know of another product (for little kids) that would help him learn to fish better, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
mommyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 08:03 PM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mom,
You have a private message. Please read and heed.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 11:29 PM   #3
skeeter944

welcome to the forum mom!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-06, 08:35 AM   #4
flbassman

Welcome! It's probably a nice little novelty item for a kid. It might get him more interested, or it might break and leave him upset. A zebco 33 is a great rod and reel combo for anyone, especially kids. Try taking a look at one of those. Good luck!
Old 12-13-06, 09:49 AM   #5
DEbass'n
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome to the forum Mommy

I have found that no matter what I do i am going to get some grass or weeds caught on the line. Rigging lures weedless will help tremendously, but you will still get some on there. In the ponds around here there are only a few that don't have some type of grass or weeds so it is pretty much a given. If anyone else has any tips, I could use them also.
Old 12-15-06, 06:45 PM   #6
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Five year olds will generate a large number of snags.
Basically due to the fact they need a lot of action to keep
them interested and they become frustrated easily.
Sometimes it is better to let them reel in and cast out with
just a sinker and a bobber (for color and effect.)
That way they have the impression they are fishing.
This hones their cast and retrieve skills.
However it is nice for them to catch fish also.
That is why I try to find a "sweet" spot for the kids where a worm and hook will pay off.

I feel the Rocket rod due to the exclusive line and attachments will end
up broken/lost to the water and you will be stuck with a non-serviceable
piece of equipment. I would also suggest tying a piece of non-snagging rubber, to a regular fishing setup.
And let him practice in the yard they love that too.
Old 12-15-06, 11:11 PM   #7
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here is my opinion...

Your son is 5, which is a little young to expect him to be able to handle adult tackle. But they grow up so fast! And they will also suprise you from time to time, for instance my Dad could cast a flyrod at the age of 4 - and the flyrod is the most difficult type of rod to use!

I have always thought 8 is about when kids start to get the ability to become more focused. Think of it like baseball, kids move from wiffle bats to the real thing somewhere in that time frame.

The rocketrod itself is not actually a rod at all. He will not learn anything using it. While you never want to overstress performance with a kid, they can tell if they are getting better. It might look fun to have a nerf gun in lue of a rod, but the novelty of it will get old quickly. Again, the rocketrod is not a rod - but a nerf gun with a reel attached - and you need a rod not only to cast but to bring in the fish. It is imperative.

So I say this, he is a wee bit young but kids can still suprise you. If he is good with the Superman rod, graduate him up to a "big boy" rod. The reel is the easy part, most everybody will agree that at that age a Zebco 33 is the best for a child, and you should be able to get help on purchasing a proper (and small) rod at walmart or a local tackle shop. Its going to end up looking a lot like the Superman combo, just a foot or so longer and without the bright colors. That is what you should do, if you want to go in the direction of getting him fishing tackle.

I cannot under any circumstances advocate the rocketrod, not only because it is probably the most laughable gimmick to come to the world of fishing tackle in years, but also because what your son is getting frustrated over will still happen with the rocket rod. All of us get frustrated with grass from time to time! We just learn a little here and a little there and get a feel for it...and the problem gets more tolerable. There are some little tricks that we could probably help you with if you get back to us on just what he is using regarding bait or lures.

On the other hand...when a child gets their heart set on something, if they don't get it sometimes they wont be happy with what they do get. I guess you know how much he wants the rocketrod. If he were to get it, he may be initially happy only to lose interest in it - and maybe the initial joy of him opening the package to see the rocketrod will be worth it anyways - even if he does figure out eventually with the rest of us that its a gimmick.
Old 12-16-06, 07:30 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I have to echo the sentiment given here-any gimmicky rod/reel is usually not worth investing in. Most if not all of us here started with a Zebco 33 or something similar-a Zebco 33 combo would be my recommendation. It is a sturdy reel-that can be a real benefit with a young 'un like that - that he can grow into, but even at his age should be able to use.

I believe you can get a combo(rod and reel together) along with a small tackle box included which is a good starter set.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.