Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-10, 10:02 AM   #1
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Night Fishing

Hey guys, I just found this site a couple of days ago and it's been hard for me to get much work done because of it...

I don't get the opportunity to fish at night very often, but it has been so hot lately that there's really not another option right now. That said, I am not very experienced with night fishing. Last night I got out on a little pond just before dark and threw a frog around the edges and got a couple bites, but no hookups (I don't get to use a frog much either, I'm more of a t-rigged worm guy). My question is: How long after dark can I expect to be able to use the frog and what other presentations have you guys had luck with recently? I have had pretty good luck with a weightless senko dragged along the bottom in this pond lately, but didn't try it last night (the mosquitos sent me home).

Thank you for your input and I look forward to getting involved on this site.

Jon
JHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 10:25 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey man welcome to the site .

First of all get yourself a black spinnerbait with a large single Colorado blade on it and just feel the thumping of the blade on the retrieve when it stops thumping set the hook . Top waters will work pretty much all night ie. your frogs , buzzbaits and the such . I would tend to stay away from throwing a worm after dark unless you add a rattle to it , since the fish are not hunting by sight , but more by their lateral line , also a large jig with the loudest rattles you can find works great but by far my go to is the spinnerbait

Jim l
Old 07-14-10, 01:20 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

I can help with the bugs. Long sleeve pants and shirt. Big hat with large brim all the way around. Those Buzz-off shirts and pants do work. Spray your hat brim with Cutter. And spray your ankles and neck.. avoid cotton. Only turn on a light if in dire need.

Had a guy fish with me a week or two ago who smoked cigs. He had no night vision what the heck so ever.. Why .... he kept lighting his cig and it blinded him.

I fish every trip out way past dark.

Capt Mike
Old 07-14-10, 03:10 PM   #4
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the ideas. Do you suggest a pretty big trailer on the spinnerbait? The bass seem pretty finnicky in the pond because there are a lot of crappie and I haven't had a ton of luck with spinnerbaits lately. However, I will try it at night next time.
Old 07-14-10, 04:29 PM   #5
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHolmes View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Do you suggest a pretty big trailer on the spinnerbait? The bass seem pretty finnicky in the pond because there are a lot of crappie and I haven't had a ton of luck with spinnerbaits lately. However, I will try it at night next time.

Just a trailer hook

Jim
Old 07-14-10, 10:42 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome aboard. I hear ya about the skitters. They are BAD this year! I have to agree with pretty much everything Jim said. I'd just add a couple things. One of my favorite lures after dark is a 5/8 oz black jointed Jitterbug. Thats been a killer bait for me for a couple years now. If I'm not using that, I'll usually be tossing a spinnerbait. I do equally well with both single blade and tandem blade veersions. One lure that works very well for me after dark as well is a small #2 or #3 Mepps spinner. Not sure why but I can only think the basses lateral line is telling him it's a small minnow.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 03:33 PM   #7
Bob Smith

I have geat luck on the shallow lakes with 1/2 oz Black and Red Single colorado blade and about 4" to 5" twin tail grub in Cinamon Black flake, Plum Blue fleck and even Black with Red Flake. When the bite is really tough I switch to a #11 Black and Red Uncle Josh pork frog. I use the same trailers on my Buzz baits too.. Shallow water lakes respond well to the 10" worms too, dark colors seem to be the ticket. On the clearer deep spotted bass lakes in Georgia, finesse worms in many of the same colors you'ld throw during the day work best (T-rig and Shakey head). We find the more consistent fishing in the clear water lakes to be about 20' deep on the brushpiles (if you can find them or sink them).
Old 07-15-10, 07:58 PM   #8
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

JHolmes...Welcome to the site. I haven't night fished in years, but when I did, I sure enjoyed it. I'm a plastics guy, love the T-rig as you do. Used it a lot night fishing. My go to bait then, as it is now, was a 6" black lizard. It caught a LOT of fish. Tried to time most of my night fishing during a full moon & concentrated mostly on shallow flats. The other guys here have obviously done well with spinnerbaits, etc. I probably didn't give these the chance they deserved. I just love fishing plastics & wanted to let you know you would probably be okay using your T-rig.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 12:42 PM   #9
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. These are all great ideas. Keith, it's funny you mentioned the Mepps spinner because I was just thinking about that the other day. I hope to get out for some night fishing next weekend. If we can ever catch a break from the heat here in KS, some evening fishing is calling my name!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.