Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-11, 05:38 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Once again...

We've all heard it, over and over, but here's another cautionary tale about PFD's.
A man drowned this weekend in the Pearl River north of the Ross Barnett Reservoir. He and his wife were fishing when he hit a stump with the trolling motor and got thrown into the water. He couldn't swim, and wasn't wearing a PFD. I don't know him or his wife, but his wife's parents are good friends of my parents, and are long time members of their church.
I don't know any details, like if he was knocked out or if he just couldn't get back in the boat or what exactly happened. It suffices to say that everyone needs to be careful out on the water. Wear your PFD as much as you can, especially when running the big motor, and keep a throwable one handy.
Old 11-14-11, 05:59 PM   #2
bcklash

Daniel I agree 100%. Please wear your life jackets.
Old 11-14-11, 06:24 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ummm daniel......remember OUR trip just a few weeks ago? jsut saying pal..........
Old 11-14-11, 06:34 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ummm daniel......remember OUR trip just a few weeks ago? jsut saying pal..........
Do as I say, not as I do...
Old 11-14-11, 07:51 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

I think we're all guilty of the....bulletproof-won't happen to me-mentality. Right before he hit that stump he had absolutely no clue he was seconds away from busting eternity wide open. Sad
Old 11-14-11, 08:18 PM   #6
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

ill still not ever wear one...lol. unless its cold water time of the year. and even then its tough to do
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 08:56 PM   #7
keithdog

Always good advice Daniel. I often fish alone and it's even more important when that is the case. No one is there to help you. Also after dark as it will be harder for people to find you should you go over board.
Old 11-14-11, 11:49 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I always liked these rescue quoits in our life boats offshore. They are heavy enough to throw, but serve the purpose of throwing and the ring goes on your arm and they have buoyancy. Maybe 5-6" and take up very little space.

Name:  quoits.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  5.6 KB
Old 11-15-11, 12:01 AM   #9
bamabassman

i8 have 5 vests in my rig at all times. PLUS 2 throwable ones. no i can't swim a lick. but i DO wear mine when running the boat or riding as a passenger, RIGHT DANIEL? and i MAKE everyone who rides with me wear theirs. if i am driving and oyu fall out, i CAN'T SWIM OUT TO GET YA. so wear the @#$% thing folks. ok, enough venting................carry on.
Old 11-15-11, 12:21 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I always liked these rescue quoits in our life boats offshore. They are heavy enough to throw, but serve the purpose of throwing and the ring goes on your arm and they have buoyancy. Maybe 5-6" and take up very little space.
Great idea..but looks oddly like some kinda phallic symbol?

Attachment 7335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i8 have 5 vests in my rig at all times. PLUS 2 throwable ones. no i can't swim a lick. but i DO wear mine when running the boat or riding as a passenger, RIGHT DANIEL? and i MAKE everyone who rides with me wear theirs. if i am driving and oyu fall out, i CAN'T SWIM OUT TO GET YA. so wear the @#$% thing folks. ok, enough venting................carry on.
Takes a real man to admit he can't swim. I don't think I could say it out loud even if it was true. ***the Y still gives free lessons***you should consider learning
Old 11-15-11, 04:58 AM   #11
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

why wouldn't you wear one if you can't swim? Prayers out to the family so sad.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 06:15 AM   #12
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

PA just started new Oct.-Mar. mandatory cold weather PFD regs., but ditto to what Crank said.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 12:35 PM   #13
bcklash

When I'm on the water, I always have mine on. When we are wide stinking open, I wear a regular life jacket all other times I wear this one.

Old 11-15-11, 09:55 PM   #14
Bassboss

Hate it when people die from something some easy to avoid like that... such a wast.
Old 11-17-11, 09:36 AM   #15
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

4 kids got out of a grounded boat here in Manitoba to swim to shore, they had no PFD's with them and of the 4 only one made it to shore. The 1 that made it to shore had hypothermia but did survive. It is astounding to me how the same mistake is made over and over again, expecting a different result. That I understand is the definition of insanity.
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 10:31 AM   #16
lilmule

I can swim but when out on pitching rolling ky lake,I wear one always,if you take a dip you may also bump your noggin and not be responsive plus its downright cold and swift this time of year,the amount of water going thru the narrows where the 79 bridge bottlenecks the lake has same amount of water going thru as say niagra falls.100,000 cfs much of the year.
And the front end in particular can bob so much can pitch one out if not hanging on,every third or fourth wave coming over the bow a tad.
Yeah ive had some give me some looks during hot weather but im still alive.
Last year same thing happened to some young duck hunters,grounded stranded they tried to wade to shore,its generally deeper near shore here.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 04:34 PM   #17
joedog

Default Something to add

Good posts!
Very important topic.
Just thought I'd add the next step.
http://fishing.about.com/b/2011/11/1...fall-out-2.htm
If you fall out of a boat it is easy to panic but hard to get back in, especially as you get older. There are some things we can all do to get back into a boat safely if we fall out. The most important thing is not to panic but to take actions that will allow you to safely get back into your boat.
Difficulty: N/A
Time Required: A Few Minutes
Here's How:
  1. Staying on top of the water is the most important thing if you fall out. Wear an automatically inflatable life vest or similar device to keep you afloat even if you are knocked out.
  2. Grab something on the boat as quickly as possible. Wind and current can move a boat away from you much faster than you can swim. Grab anything you can hold on to so you can stay with the boat.
  3. Work your way to the back of the boat. The new Triton boats have a built in boarding ladder that you can use to get in, or you can use the motor. In any case, the boat is lower and easier to get into at the back.
  4. You may be able to pull yourself into the boat if you are young and strong enough. Wet cloting can make this difficult even for those in good shape.
  5. Use the motor as a step to get you out of the water and into the boat. Your legs are stronger than your arms - use them. Be careful not to cut yourself on the prop.
  6. If your boat has a trim and tilt system with a switch on the side, as do most bass boat motors, you can step on the motor and trim it up, lifting you out of the water. This would really help if you are wearing lots of clothes or if you have gotten weak from cold water.
  7. Keep some dry clothes in the boat - at least shirt, sox and pants in cold weather. Don't forget your rainsuit - put it on over dry clothes to stay warmer, especially in colder weather.
Tips:
  1. Don't fall out in the first place. This seems simple and you may never fall out, but be prepared if you do. I have been fishing out of bass boats for over 30 years and out of other boats for almost 50 years and never fell out of one - until last month. It was scary and it scared me. Be prepared.
  2. Always wear a kill switch so if you are thrown out of your boat the motor will stop running and not circle back and hit you.
More Freshwater Fishing How To's
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 05:28 PM   #18
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

Tips:
  1. Don't fall out in the first place. This seems simple and you may never fall out, but be prepared if you do. I have been fishing out of bass boats for over 30 years and out of other boats for almost 50 years and never fell out of one - until last month. It was scary and it scared me. Be prepared.
  2. Always wear a kill switch so if you are thrown out of your boat the motor will stop running and not circle back and hit you.
More Freshwater Fishing How To's
Joe The blue statement above is profound!! I was moved at it moved me. I was touched as it touched me. I felt warned due to the warning. I am now more informed because of this information.
Old 11-18-11, 06:51 AM   #19
joedog

Default Stiill Scared!

It was scary and it scared me.
Same could be said about you, correct?
Just teasing!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.