Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-11, 08:56 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Guntersville trip

I have been invited to go to Guntersville in February for a week of what i hope is great fishing. The group i go with go there every year. Last year they had an excellent trip. The only thing i know about Guntersville is what i have read or seen on tv. I know there are quite a few Guntersville regulars on this site. I am basically looking at any info you can give. Lure types, do i need to get some some frog baits for that time of year, etc. should i go with heavier line or braid. Just anything you can think of that might help.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 06:23 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WEHRE are you gonna be on guntersville? it's a big lake buddy. if oyu can, tell me EXCATLY where you gonna be launching from. and then i can tell you wehre to get some info. or tell ya what NOT to use.......which is what i use cause i only catch dinks, hahaha. it's gonna be COLD in feb ya know. may be winding as all get out too.
go to the reports section on this site. there is some info there that should help you out when it closer to time.
but for real, i would say jigs, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks are ALWAYS good that time of year on the big g. i have heard and seen some folks use a 10-12 inch worm too. and 10-12 pound mono or flour whould be ok if ya ain't casting in the brush. the grass will be all but gone, but IF ya cast in the rocks and heavy trees, use the braided line.
Old 11-14-11, 08:21 PM   #3
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

feb can be really slow. was for me...and COLD
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 08:47 AM   #4
syd

I will find out were we will be and get back to you. Surely it will be warmer there than here. Just wondering about the frog bite. I have never experienced that and was hoping that time of the year that might be on.
Old 11-15-11, 01:27 PM   #5
syd

Here is what i found out. The person i called couldn't remember the place. But he said it was a marina with a golf course close by. Plus they rented a house near the marina.
Hope that helps.
Old 11-15-11, 01:38 PM   #6
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

frog in feb? hmmm...dont know about that
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 05:51 PM   #7
bamabassman

GOOSE POND COLONY? and no......i very seriously doubt the frog bite will be on at ALL it is COLD here in feb pal. freezing, sleet, snow cold arse weather. coldest month of the year here. if i were fishing g'ville in feb....i would stick to lipless cranks on drop offs and near the creek channels and spinners and jigs. just my 2 pennies worth.

ya'll need to remember something about WHERE guntersville is folks. here in the northeast corner of the state it DOES get cold, we have had lots of snow for our area over the last 2 winters. freezing temps for quiet a few weeks too. it SNOWS here too. but i know it ain't nowhere near like in green bay or nothing. but the humid air makes it feel colder than it is. some of oyu will disagree with me. but get wet, stand out in 28 degree weather and see if it is cold or not. THAT is how it is here. a WET cold. in my opion, worse than a dry winter, meaning no humidity in the air.

i know there will be some of ya'll saying i am crazy and all that, fine. i ain't fishing in feb here, lol.
Old 11-15-11, 08:03 PM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I was there the 3rd week of March and it was cold then. A lot of rain and wind too. Fishing was ok, but not what I expected and I was disappointed after a 900 mile drive. If I ever go back it won't be until mid-April or later. Traps worked then and we ended up hiring a guide to get us kick-started after a couple poor days. That helped a lot, but we were asked not to reveal his spots or lures used, so I would not say anything in an open forum like this.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-15-11 at 09:37 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 08:37 PM   #9
lilmule

Gville ,bama is ne corner just below Chattanooga,and about same lateral line as se corner of Virginia.March there like here in tennessee is a damp cold month,water temp is cold still and spray from waves can get one wet from head to toe let alone it can rain for a week straight,lest not forget the wind either.
My first frogfish generally comes in april only once in march,im about 100 miles north ,even on that grassy lake dont expect greenery until april,and then not thick yet.Lilly pads should be first,not grass.
We and they do get some 50 f -60 days few and far between as fronts pass thru once or twice a week.Late march still iffy due to rain ,wind and twisters.
For frog fishing id plan a trip later when the sun is more likly to shine,running around in 3 fters with it 30f- 50 f and 44 f -47f water isnt fun its cold and wet everything is damp,one wears a rainsuit out in the morning to stay dry even when it isnt raining.
And it rains 20 out of 30 days around then.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 09:52 PM   #10
bamabassman

mule, oyu hit the nail dead on buddy. if i were gonna visit g'ville, it owuld be when they time changed back to normal. just saying. even then it can be cold in the mornings.

and bruce......waiting on a pm. hahaha!
Old 11-16-11, 08:44 AM   #11
syd

Thanks for the info. Maybe i could talk them into April. Heck i can stay here and catch smallmouth all winter on the James which is what i usually do from around Thanksgiving through february. And freeze my butt off doing it. Plus i sure don't want to tow a boat 500 miles with the chance of dealing with snow. That just doesn't sound that great at all. I was stationed in Biloxi for 3 years long ago and i just figured the weather there and at Guntersville would be pretty much the same. I don't think we ever saw snow if we did not much. Of course that was 30 years ago so things change. Really sounds like April would be much better.
thanks again
Old 11-16-11, 06:28 PM   #12
bamabassman

april or may is PERFECT time to fish the big g syd. spring bassing will be in full swing then. the pads'll be popping up, grass starting to get up some too. THEN oyu can chunk that frog to your hearts content. BUT i would start out with a buzzbait early in the morning, then tie on a waterdog.JUST KIDDING!! lizards, brush hogs, jigs and spinnerbaits when the sind puts a ripple on the water. spring time fishing is my FAVORITE time of year.

here's a thought, talk him into ya'll attending the get together on dale hollow in may. there will be a lot of us there. it's one of the premere lakes in the country. check it out.
Old 11-18-11, 10:36 AM   #13
syd

Bama, i would love to go to the hollow. Don't know if you are on their website/forum etc. but go to smalljaw.com. It is basically a website devoted to Dale Hollow. If anyone was going there i strongly recommend checking their forums out.
I doubt i could get this group to go to the hollow. But that doesn't mean i couldn't go someday. I just met these guys and they're a fantastic group of very knowledgeable fisherman. I am learing a lot from them. A friend of mine and i are going with them on some of their tournaments and staying with them splitting expenses etc. we don't fish tournaments so we aren't competition so they help us a lot.
The smallmouth bite on the James River is getting good so that is were i will be on most weekends.
Old 11-18-11, 10:44 PM   #14
bamabassman

syd, THIS is the only forum i TRULY follow. sorry bud. BUT i am SURE we will be checking out that site as time draws nearer. thanks for the link bud!!

the annual GET TOGETHER is NOT a tourny. jsut a yearly thing we do every spring. we meet up, laugh (alot), kid around and FISH! eat WAAAAYYYYY too much, sleep VERY little. so think aobut it and ask the guys if they wat to join us. we have a little "trophy" we give out each year to whoever catches the biggest bass,, they in turn hand it to the next years winner. after writing their name on the back of course.

so think aobut it. nofearengineer is the host this time. any questions......he'll GLADLY answer em for ya.
Old 11-19-11, 05:10 PM   #15
Bender

A group us us went to G'Ville this past spring too. I think that is was early March or late February. We had a guide lined up but that fell through. I'm sure it would have helped because it was cold and the fishing was tough. I think that the fish were still mostly in winter patterns. A shaky head was the most productive lure, but traps and jerkbaits out by the main channel produced the biggest fish. There was a tournament going on when we were there and the winner was deep cranking the bass somewhere down towards the State Park. I would wait until April if possible.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.