Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-11, 03:07 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Would you rather fish alone?

I do alot of fishing by myself, ya there are usually others around but not really with me. ( hey while I'm thinking about it, "You know what the nice thing about talking to yourself is....someone always listens!" anyway I was wondering, who prefers to fish alone, who prefers to fish with a partner, who prefers to fish with a group? As always, when, where and why?
I personally really think there is a huge advantage to having a partner. Today with such an abundance of lures, presentations and equipment it could take days to go thru your arsenal trying to find the right bait or color of bait that is hottest that day. Ex: If I find the worm bite is on, I'll start with my go to colors and/or sizes but even if that is working, I'll try different colors (maybe there's even a better shade of green thats hotter) or different sizes or different speeds (easily accomplished even if fishing alone) or switch from texas rigged to wacky to carolina rigged. This is a lot easier done when not alone. Especially shore fishing folks, where you don't have the access to multiple pre-rigged set ups where it's easy and quick to try multiple baits and/or colors. You don't have electronics to help narrow the search. This is even more complicated if time is limited!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 03:37 PM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fish alone almost always. I suppose that is my preference since I choose not to always invite someone to go with me. For me there is solitude to being alone with your thoughts and the calmness of being on the water. Fishing with a buddy is good as a change up but fishing alone fits my personality.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 03:42 PM   #3
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i only fish with two people, both are busy with sports and stuff so i end up by myself. i do like fishing with another person but fishing by my self doesn't stop me
Old 10-25-11, 06:25 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For me it's going to have to go both ways. When I am fishing with a partner I always greatly enjoy when they are successful and the excitement they get from catching fish. Especially if I know my partner dosn't get to experience fishing success often. Plus there is the comradery of having a partner and someone to talk to and share the experience with. Also the factors of narrowing down a pattern faster if your using different techniques. But on the flip side, I fish alone most of the time and really enjoy that as. well. Some of the reasons are the same as Freds. Plus when I am alone, I can go at it hard and fast which is my style. And I can do so without compromising with a partner on where to go, what technique to use, ect. I can jump here and there as I please, cast anywhere I want and choose to stay or go home whenever I choose to do so. Plus I fish out of a small 12 foot boat with limited space so I can take more gear with me if I am fishing alone. A lot of course has to do with your partner. Your day on the water will only be as pleasant as your partner. Thats one reason I enjoy fishing with my wife whenever I can, which isn't very often.
Old 10-25-11, 07:10 PM   #5
MIbasser

I like to fish alone. I like to run and gun if needed and not wait for somebody else. Fish docks or pads and not have to give somebody else water. But I do like to talk every now and then so that's when I miss the co-angler (when the fishing bad).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 07:47 PM   #6
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like fishing by myself when I'm going to try something that might not catch something. I feel bad putting friends through my experiments that don't work. A majority of the time though I'd rather fish with someone else. It's nice to have someone to talk to and you can figure the fish out faster with 2 people trying different techniques.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:17 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I enjoy the company of others, but like KD, I fish from a small boat and I only fish during the week. It is tough to find someone with time off during the week. I keep badgering MSBoy to play hookie but he has some kind of integrity issue with blowing off work for a day. I do have 1 buddy I fish with though about once every other month.
Old 10-25-11, 10:30 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I like fishing any way. I like fishing from my kayak - that is a one person deal. I also enjoy sharing a day on the water with a bud on the back deck of the bass boat. I also like fishing with a group - as long as it's basically for fun and enjoyment. As for a preference, I don't really have one as it comes down to what is happening today or tomorrow that offers an opportunity to get out on the water.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 10:38 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

I've only been able to spend 57 days on the water this year. 26 of those alone. I usually fish by myself when I've planned to work the kinks out of a new technique. When I'm on fish and have established a reliable pattern I like to take my wife or one of my fishing buddys to share in the fun and maximize efficiency.
Old 10-25-11, 10:44 PM   #10
nofearengineer

I'll fish anyway I can take it, but it is nice to chat with friends while fishing.
Old 10-25-11, 10:58 PM   #11
Bender

I'd say I fish 95% of the time alone. A lot of that has to do with my crazy schedule, so I just go when I can get away. Many times it has to do with my poor scheduling, in that I won't decide where I'm going until I leave the driveway. I really enjoy fishing with a buddy and the great memories that those times on the water produce, but I also enjoy fishing alone. Like it was said before, it is my time away from a hectic work schedule where I can concentrate strictly on fishing and forget work. Also a lot of times when the fishing isn't great I just drive around the lake and take photos. When I lived in New York most of the time I was the only boat on the lake, or at the most one of a few. On a 6,500 acre lake in the most beautiful part of the country that I have seen it was hard to ask for more.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 11:07 PM   #12
bassboogieman

So the general opinion indicates fishing is like sex.
We enjoy it alone, with a friend or in a group.
Yeah, I'd say that nailed it.
Old 10-25-11, 11:10 PM   #13
skeeter1804

I have a tournament partner for team tournaments but when fishing for fun or practicing for a tournament I usually fish alone. I prefer to fish with someone because I think 2 different lures or techniques in the water will find a pattern a lot quicker. Plus you have someone to talk to.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 11:19 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Boogie fishes by himself...except when Docirv is there to help him "share the load".
Old 10-25-11, 11:22 PM   #15
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
So the general opinion indicates fishing is like sex.
We enjoy it alone, with a friend or in a group.
Yeah, I'd say that nailed it.

Ya I think you nailed it. Now the question is, are you with a friend, a group or did you do it to yourself? Just teasing bassboogieman!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 11:31 PM   #16
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Boogie fishes by himself...except when Docirv is there to help him "share the load".
Can you say ZIIIIINNNNNG
Old 10-26-11, 01:50 AM   #17
islandbass

99.9% by myself but I don't mind company. None of my friends like fishing so that leaves me alone. If I do fish with someone it will usually be my kids (less and less as they're getting older) or my dad when he visits.

I too like to solitude and not have to waste breath on pointless banter, but I am always for good conversation.
Old 10-26-11, 10:10 AM   #18
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
And the green-eyed monster raises his ugly head....

99% of my fishing is by myself. My wife doesn't enjoy it as much as I do, plus we have our 2 year old that needs watching.
Old 10-26-11, 07:35 PM   #19
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Me and the boy(12) have been fish together since he was 5. If I took a day and went out with out him(even if he was at school) and caught a big un' I think he would be pretty upset(more like teary eye'd). So I have a partner until he grows up and forgets about old pops!

He'd drop me in a heart beat if you asked him to go out with ya! Hmmmm?
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 07:44 PM   #20
bcklash

There is always somebody on my boat to listen to the big lies I tell.
Old 10-26-11, 08:01 PM   #21
66KingFisher

My preference is to fish alone, but its nice to have a partner to share experiences with.....Fortunately, my main fishin buddy is the type of guy that can fish all day and not say two dozen words most of the time.....That works for me most of the time too....hahaha.
Old 10-26-11, 08:44 PM   #22
bamabassman

welll............IF i want to CATCH fish, i have lisa with me. if i want to jsut fish....i am by myself. i do like it by myself, but i also like ot have a co-angler with me too. i LOVE the get togethers we have. so a group of folks is good too.

but i doubt if i will EVER get in a boat with boogieman...............BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! docirv would probably get jelous anyway. or bryce would, hahahaha!!!!
Old 10-27-11, 08:41 PM   #23
bassboogieman

Quote:
but i doubt if i will EVER get in a boat with boogieman...............
You'd always be welcome in my boat, John. Heck I 'd probably let you play with my rod. The "bassboogieman" rod. I mean the rod you enjoyed handling so much at Wheeler. This isn't comming out quite right. You know, the rod Waffle did such a good job on.
Old 10-28-11, 07:30 AM   #24
Crankbait

I fish alone a lot but mostly because I have no room on my boat. Fishing with someone is hard for me when I’m in the back of the boat due to how I cast. I don’t cast overhand….always side sling which is okay when the water is to the right of the boat but sucks when it’s to the left of the boat. As far as tournaments go I fished by myself but I definitely see and advantage to two anglers. Also I fish Jan-Dec25 and a lot of times the conditions aren’t nice and my fishing buddies don’t care to be on the water.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-11, 08:38 AM   #25
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You'd always be welcome in my boat, John. Heck I 'd probably let you play with my rod. The "bassboogieman" rod. I mean the rod you enjoyed handling so much at Wheeler. This isn't comming out quite right. You know, the rod Waffle did such a good job on.
It's not getting any better, the more you talk. Better stop while you're behind.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.