Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-11, 12:48 PM   #1
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best $ on Tungsten?

Just wondered if anyone has found a cheaper source for tungsten weights?
Old 11-02-11, 01:01 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Is their such a thing as cheap when tungsten?
Im still using lead myself.
Cheapest is to buy by the pound about $35 + shipping

Last edited by lilmule; 11-02-11 at 01:07 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 01:28 PM   #3
bassboogieman

cheap tungston. another oxymoron.

And not to hijack this thread, but I've stopped using sinkers for the most part. Only on the rare occasion where I want a slip sinker on a worm, or a rarely thrown Carolina rig do I use them. I've gone to weighted hooks, I like them better. Slider hooks for finesse plastic, Owner weighted worm hook (picture), or the belly weight hooks like those used for small hollow bodies swim baits work well with creature baits or Sweet Beaver style baits - the baits glide more rather than a tail first fall.

I found myself pegging the sinker way more often than not and I now prefer the weighted hook as the weight is ahead and away from the knot, and won't come loose and provide leverage for a fish to throw a hook as easily.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-02-11 at 01:42 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 11:24 AM   #4
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Its definately worth it to me. I won't use anything else so I was just wondering if I was missing out on something cheaper out there but still contained good quality. Its definately worth the difference from lead in sheer size and sensitivity.

Cheap & Good Quality - now theres a good oxymoron for you no matter what we discuss. LoL!

Here is a good article about it.

Added:
Also another main reason is that lead is being banned from use in some states due to being toxic:

New Hampshire, Maine, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Washington State, Connecticut and National Parks. This is not a complete lead ban - it does have particulars. http://www.asafishing.org/government...in_tackle.html

I am no authority nor have I read every detail about this issue.

Last edited by Handlebars; 11-03-11 at 12:54 PM.
Handlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 11:42 AM   #5
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
cheap tungston. another oxymoron.

And not to hijack this thread, but I've stopped using sinkers for the most part. Only on the rare occasion where I want a slip sinker on a worm, or a rarely thrown Carolina rig do I use them. I've gone to weighted hooks, I like them better. Slider hooks for finesse plastic, Owner weighted worm hook (picture), or the belly weight hooks like those used for small hollow bodies swim baits work well with creature baits or Sweet Beaver style baits - the baits glide more rather than a tail first fall.

I found myself pegging the sinker way more often than not and I now prefer the weighted hook as the weight is ahead and away from the knot, and won't come loose and provide leverage for a fish to throw a hook as easily.
mmm, an attached sinker is leverage for throwing a hook, not a detached one...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 12:08 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I disagree as I'm loosing far less fish with these style hooks. With the hook/weight inside the mouth the only leverage point is with the knot with no additional weight up the line or outside the mouth to compound it, I think that lessons the leverage imparted to the hook. I've also found that I'm fishing slightly less weight, rarely anything over a 1/4 oz anymore and most often nothing more than an 1/8 oz. You may be correct if using a slip sinker, I don't know, but as I said I pegged almost always and have found I have better success with the weighted hook vs. a pegged sinker above the knot. I might hazzard a guess NFE has a formula the would indicate leverage decreases the closer the weight is to the hook point. Then again I could be wrong, it's all in perception.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-03-11 at 12:15 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 02:10 PM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Embrey is right about the weight being part of the hook allowing the fish more leverage to throw it. However, it also gives you better hook setting leverage. The two might offset each other somewhat.
Old 11-03-11, 08:02 PM   #8
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A guy in my club bought 1000 dollars in tungsten weights and sells them for a buck a pop so thats the best i got
Old 11-04-11, 02:23 AM   #9
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think Affordable Tungsten weights by SOB and Eco Pro Tungsten weights seem to bee the best price wise 5 per pack plus they center is bored and polished so you don’t have to use an insert.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Punch...ge-PUCHWT.html
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 03:26 PM   #10
TN_Bassin

http://www.behemothlures.com/Insert_...n_Weights.html Said it before, and I'll say it again. Behemoth tungsten weights are at a great price... Cheapest I've found, and they still retain the quality other companies brag about.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.