Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-07, 10:42 AM   #1
woundedyak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Does Anyone have???

Experiance in maintaining ponds? I bought some land 4 yerars ago with a 10 acer pond.The Pond is 14 years old producing healthy bass,croppie,blue gill and channels.I'm at the point were I have alot of questions on keeping a health balance. If anyone has any suggestions,sites,Businesses to contact I would really apperciate it.
woundedyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 10:56 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've got a fairly nice size pond and can answer any questions you need.
If you are having vegetation taking it over, You can go to any farm/fleet or land mark type farmers business and treat the pond for about 60-100 bucks.
I had only bullhead cats and bluegills when we first got the pond in the 80's and now have a healthy pond full of bass, crappie, gills.
I had ppl bring catfish from paylakes and I wouldn't recommend putting them in, they can take out alot of pan fish...I also had many ppl warn against stocking crappies, as they eat alot compared to bass, but they have done well. Also I bought a 200 dollar aerator pump and used to feed the gills with pellets.
We have many turtles that migrate to the pond every year, they can take out many fish too..
The only hassle we've had is when the overflow drain gets clogged with debre and the water backs up in the neighbors tile.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 11:13 AM   #3
woundedyak
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the response JB. One of my questions was that alot of vegetation was taking over this year.My Crappie #'s seem to be pretty good if not on the low side. I do seem to have ALOT of gills. I mean you can count them by the hundreds along the shore line.I assume that I need take out a healthy number. Is there a rule on how many you should take out a year to not upset the balance?
Old 05-26-07, 02:34 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A friend of mine lived on a similar pond as you describe...tons of little gills and crappie but a few bass and most were small (6-10"). We transplanted over 50 largemouths over 15" one spring (don't know if it is legal or not but we did it). Cleaned out the schools of small gills and the small bass grew into the 12-15" range. Crappie were much bigger in the spring and the gills got bigger too.
See what your state laws are on transporting bass into a private pond and move in some bigger bass to clean out some of the gills.
Old 05-26-07, 06:06 PM   #5
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Drop a couple good size bass in, and they'll keep the gills in line. For vegetation, a couple carp will probably keep things under control.
Old 05-26-07, 08:01 PM   #6
CreekGeek22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Stores such as this is what JB was referring to. Best of luck!

http://www.cooperseeds.com/lakes_pon...=algae&cartid=
CreekGeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 12:54 PM   #7
woundedyak
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 05-30-07, 10:06 AM   #8
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't forget to fertilize, and don't kill all the grass and weeds, algae attach to the stems and provide the basis for a health food chain. Also, put in some structure made of white pvc pipe. Not only does algae attach to it, but it provides rot-proof structure and the white pipe is visible and easier to see and fish when submerged.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.