Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-09, 10:43 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default first time wadding...tonight!!

so my buddy and i found a great ''looking'' little spot full of lilly pads ,shade,timbers in the water,and tons of baitfish swimming around!!.....i mean it looks GOOD and its down the street from me...(which im mad i just now found it after 2 yrs of living there)....its hidden behind some thick woods and its a large creek leading out to the main lake....

anyway, there is no where to cast off the canoes.....its possible probably, ,but every edge of the bank is a drop off.....so my buddy told me he was going to wad,and could get some wadders for me.......ive never wadded before.....anybody got advice for a first timer??....
Old 07-08-09, 10:47 AM   #2
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

watch the gators! me and my buddy were wading at lake conway in orlando florida and we were camping so we kept a few fish and we had gators following us around cuz of the fish oon the stringeer
Old 07-08-09, 10:55 AM   #3
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

take your time and go slow...if u try to get in a hurry, u will end up face first in the water.

dont have anything with you that you mind getting wet.
Old 07-08-09, 10:58 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

jesus that would freak me out...lol...theres no gators around my parts....people ''say'' they've been reported on the lake,but no attacks have ever happened.......
Old 07-08-09, 11:00 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
take your time and go slow...if u try to get in a hurry, u will end up face first in the water.

dont have anything with you that you mind getting wet.
thanks spro,yea common sense was telling me that,i just wanted to make sure.....cheers!
Old 07-08-09, 11:07 AM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Go slow, take your time, and BE CAREFUL! if your waders fill up with water, it can get VERY dangerous. don't try to swim if you fall and they get filled up, just get out of them. Watch out for rocks, dropoff, tree stumps, etc. Kind of shuffle your feet if your in an area with lots of obstructions.

BB
Old 07-08-09, 11:38 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Go slow, take your time, and BE CAREFUL! if your waders fill up with water, it can get VERY dangerous. don't try to swim if you fall and they get filled up, just get out of them. Watch out for rocks, dropoff, tree stumps, etc. Kind of shuffle your feet if your in an area with lots of obstructions.

BB
didnt think about them filling up!! thanks bigbassin,ill definitely keep that in mind tonight.
Old 07-08-09, 12:28 PM   #8
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
watch the gators! me and my buddy were wading at lake conway in orlando florida and we were camping so we kept a few fish and we had gators following us around cuz of the fish oon the stringeer
Proably not the best idea to go in water with gators.lol(just a joke)
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 12:29 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

um try to be quiet.....

and you can find ponds that are hidden around you on google earth, i was lookin around on it yesterday
Old 07-08-09, 04:41 PM   #10
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

if waders are dangerous, maybe dont use them. I never use waders and wade all the time. Just get a decent pair of scandals old tennis shoes, something that wont get sucked off your foot when it sinks in a foot of mud.

But walk slow and just make sure your next step is tested a bit before stepping up off your back foot. Slippery rocks are a big concern, if any. Slow and steady.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:19 PM   #11
Stew

Be careful wading with wet feet. I waded that way very frequently for hours on end and got the mother of all fungal infections. 15 years later, my heels are still impossible to prevent from cracking. I could have prevented that by wearing waders that kept my feet dry.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:21 PM   #12
JB

You using hip or chest waders? You can put a big belt around the middle so if ya do fall not so much water fills them up. Also a nice size stick may help you if you poke ahead of where you're walking to feel the bottom and any depth changes.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:29 PM   #13
keithdog

HANG A MINI MAGLITE AROUND YOUR NECK. You'll be glad you did.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:15 PM   #14
JB

oh yea, bring some deep woods Off with ya too
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:21 PM   #15
Mac2

tie off you wading stick to your wader strap...you can just let it float when fishing.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:42 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Hmmmmm....that's how bassboss catches catfish..................(cue the Dr Evil laugh)
Old 07-08-09, 08:22 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Mallen, you ever been wading? being in northern MI, with all those steelhead and salmon, you've had to have gone wading at least once? I think give up bass fishing during the steelhead spawn if I lived up there.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 09:37 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

REPORT:

first off,thanks for all the advice...alot of things i wouldnt have thought about so i appreicate it..

ok, so it turns out the water was waaaaay deeper than expected 7-8' ...which actually made me alot happier with the area...my buddy had the chest wadders and hips for me......needless to say i didnt wear them and he couldnt go out more than 2' cause it does drop off.

within the first half hour we did 'ok'....3 bass 1 catfish 1 bluegill.....all dinky.....after that, they just quit hitting....he was using little grub jigs and poppers.......i was using a small shallow/shad crank(the only one that hit).....then a 6'' grn lizard...then a purple 6''u-tale....then a chatterbait......then back to my crank......then a wht/chart buzz......hahahaha......i was a mad man.....but i spent a good 15-20 minutes on each one.

the only let down was we coulndt get to the lilly pads around the bend.....my dad actually meet up with us to check out the spot......so were making plans this sunday to get out on his boat and tear up that area!!....(luckily my wife will be outta town that day)
Old 07-09-09, 11:29 AM   #19
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Be careful wading with wet feet. I waded that way very frequently for hours on end and got the mother of all fungal infections. 15 years later, my heels are still impossible to prevent from cracking. I could have prevented that by wearing waders that kept my feet dry.
oh cripes thats why my toe nails look all nasty. thanks for the heads up. sorry if i gave bum advice on suggesting going sans the waders.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 01:05 PM   #20
Abbeysdad

Quote:
HANG A MINI MAGLITE AROUND YOUR NECK. You'll be glad you did.
That's so you can find yer backside to kiss it goodbye when you step off the Abyss and the waders fill up with water and take you down!

okay, just kidding.

Just go slow 'n easy and watch yer step as rocks can be real slick and sinking into deep muck can take all the fun out of it. If you can, might want to have like a walking staff to test the bottom just ahead for firmness and depth ?

Like somebody else said, if you do go down and the waders fill with water, get out of them right away - save the boy first, waders second!
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 02:06 PM   #21
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wade all the time in Idaho, mostly fly fishing or duck hunting. If its a rocky bottom I go for felt soles, but if its muddy go for rubber lugged or studded rubber. If you are fishing treacherous waters use a wading staff. Always ALWAYS carry a sharp knife within close reach and always use a wading belt. I have had to cut out of a pair before and I was glad I had a knife close. If it comes to that, cut the straps and the belt if you have to, but stay calm. Usually if you don't cut the material you can still get them off and usually save the waders. When you get into wood, go way slow and feel your way around with the staff. Don't try to step over a log more than knee high(the other side may be deeper than your crotch and send you in), And don't go more than 8" from the tops of the waders (you can step in a 8" hole and fill up.) Sorry this came late, I was busy fishing all weekend.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 02:19 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I wade all the time in Idaho, mostly fly fishing or duck hunting. If its a rocky bottom I go for felt soles, but if its muddy go for rubber lugged or studded rubber. If you are fishing treacherous waters use a wading staff. Always ALWAYS carry a sharp knife within close reach and always use a wading belt. I have had to cut out of a pair before and I was glad I had a knife close. If it comes to that, cut the straps and the belt if you have to, but stay calm. Usually if you don't cut the material you can still get them off and usually save the waders. When you get into wood, go way slow and feel your way around with the staff. Don't try to step over a log more than knee high(the other side may be deeper than your crotch and send you in), And don't go more than 8" from the tops of the waders (you can step in a 8" hole and fill up.) Sorry this came late, I was busy fishing all weekend.
its all good man,...the more advice the better....i didnt get to try it due to the creek being too deep....but when i do,ill be better than prepared!!
thanks

W
Old 07-09-09, 03:25 PM   #23
jmartin

Tie a piece of string to your rod that way if you drop it you wont lose it.

Jerry
Old 07-09-09, 05:04 PM   #24
WTL

Wading can be fun.

First thing you learn is balance and walking. You have to feel ahead of you for obstructions and drops with your feet. You go slow.

In mud, be careful that its not soft so that you sink down. On rock, be very careful cause it can be slick - use felt soles if possible.

Your feet take a beating. The combination of stubbing your toe into rocks and the pressure of heavy water on my toenails always leaves my feet in severe pain after wading in waders. I think I will get better waders with more toe support next time.

If you start to fall in shallower water, its better to go a little with the flow. You will get wet, but overcorrecting can cause you to hit your head. There have been times when I was swept down in current and kinda self corrected.

Stay out of heavy-deep current. Once I didn't do that and went for a ride in 1 1/2' of water with heavy movement and pure slime rock. I swept downstream about 20 yards before I casted a worm into the bushes and actually pulled myself to the side and in control with the rod. Weird situation.
Old 07-09-09, 06:05 PM   #25
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Mallen, you ever been wading? being in northern MI, with all those steelhead and salmon, you've had to have gone wading at least once? I think give up bass fishing during the steelhead spawn if I lived up there.

BB
Yeah I've been wading a time or two but only for bass and perch

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.