Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-11, 09:05 PM   #1
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Clear Coating Strike King KVD 1.5 Cranks

I really enjoy fishing these squarebills in wood or rock cover. The problem is of course, the thin coat of paint used to make the baits look sort of translucent, just does not hold up.

Has anyone ever put a clear coat on these KVD cranks, to prolong the lifespan of the paint job? I'm wondering if applying a coating would effect the action or true running efficiency of these productive lures.
Old 12-09-11, 09:08 PM   #2
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If anyone has used a clear coat, which one did you use, and or would boat varnish like Varithane(Sp?) work?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 10:22 PM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Never clear coated cranks but I do frequently on my jigs, basically for the same reason.
One area I fish is a rock filled river (more like a stream). I use CS Coatings Lure and Jig Paint. It's used by quite a few lure manufacturers. It's worked well for me. The jigs that used to loose paint in a day, now last a season, that is if I don't loose them.
Old 12-09-11, 10:33 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been told that the Elmers 2 part epoxy makes an excellent clear coat for lures. I plan to try it this winter on a few and see how it works out this next spring.
Old 12-10-11, 09:53 AM   #5
hookset on 3

Hey Dogs, thanks for the replies!
Old 12-10-11, 11:09 AM   #6
bassboogieman

I've not tried a clear coat on a crankbait, but many custom painters include a clear coat to protect their paint patterns. I do clear coat my Terminator spinnerbait heads - they are notorious for chipping rather easily - with a clear coat intended for jigs and it works well. I use a brush to coat the spinnerbaits as they are small and easily dry when hung up. On something like a crankbait, I believe spraying a clear coat would be preferable to using a brush to get an even coating. Two part epoxy works well on jigs, I don't know about using it on something like a large lure, it may be too heavy (thick) if applied with a brush and not dry evenly unless you have a revolving drying rack. Maybe try it on an older lure so if it doesn't work out there is not an appreciable loss and let us know how it turns out.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 11:31 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

Try thisClick image for larger version

Name:	CSCCOAT-1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	7397
Old 12-10-11, 12:57 PM   #8
joedog

Thats what I use, they have, Seal-coat, clear gloss, clear (non-gloss) and probably others. Manufactures frequently use the Seal-coat (as said) during production. Not a seal-coat, but CS coatings seal-coat.
Old 12-10-11, 01:07 PM   #9
mrmuskie5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've been told that the Elmers 2 part epoxy makes an excellent clear coat for lures. I plan to try it this winter on a few and see how it works out this next spring.
I have used 2 part epoxy on wraps on bucktails and it works great, the only negative is that it will yellow with time and use. I say just let em build "character" some of my most productive cranks are thrashed if it catches fish without "fixing" it leave it alone. cranks are a reaction bait so dont worry about the finish so much. This is just my 2 pennies so.... yeah. tight line brother!
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 07:03 PM   #10
hookset on 3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I've not tried a clear coat on a crankbait, but many custom painters include a clear coat to protect their paint patterns. I do clear coat my Terminator spinnerbait heads - they are notorious for chipping rather easily - with a clear coat intended for jigs and it works well. I use a brush to coat the spinnerbaits as they are small and easily dry when hung up. On something like a crankbait, I believe spraying a clear coat would be preferable to using a brush to get an even coating. Two part epoxy works well on jigs, I don't know about using it on something like a large lure, it may be too heavy (thick) if applied with a brush and not dry evenly unless you have a revolving drying rack. Maybe try it on an older lure so if it doesn't work out there is not an appreciable loss and let us know how it turns out.

Good idea! I've got a bunch of cranks, so I'll try it out on a couple of them first.

thanks.
Old 12-10-11, 07:08 PM   #11
hookset on 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie5 View Post
I have used 2 part epoxy on wraps on bucktails and it works great, the only negative is that it will yellow with time and use. I say just let em build "character" some of my most productive cranks are thrashed if it catches fish without "fixing" it leave it alone. cranks are a reaction bait so dont worry about the finish so much. This is just my 2 pennies so.... yeah. tight line brother!

I do agree that using scuffed up cranks still brings them in. The KVD crankbaits chip SO easy, I'd like to get some more time on them with the finish still relatively good, because the color patterns look pretty sharp.

Thanks MrMuskie.
Old 12-10-11, 07:11 PM   #12
hookset on 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post

C S is on my wish list now.
i'm psyched to use it on my jig and spinnerbait heads as well.

Good info. Thanks
Old 12-18-11, 12:21 AM   #13
ETXbassassassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I have noticed this too. The Red Eye shad chrome/blue and chrome/black are also notorious for loosing their coatings after just a couple good smashes. I'm gonna give it a shot might be cheaper rather than spending $6 a crack for replacements. Does the CS seal coat have any odor to it? I fish them sometimes burning em' and ripping em' out of the grass, it's just when the water cools like this time of year ( 52 degrees ) when fish are a little lethargic I get a little concerned.
Old 12-18-11, 06:56 AM   #14
joedog

No oder, They claim...over 1500 lure manufactureers use it on original production, who? No idea but I've used this brand frequently as stated, on jigs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.