Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-08, 05:02 PM   #1
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Smooth coil free 20 and 25 pound line.

I currently use Trilene 20 and 25 pound XT line on a Quantum Accurist PT 500, which tends to coil bad that leads to minor back lashes. And the XT doesn't cast very well unless you're using a fairly heavy lure. I'm looking for a smooth coil free mono in th 20-25 pound range. I've only ever used Trilene so I don't know how other line manufactures perform. Would switching to XL make alot of difference? Thanks and good fishin

P.S. Does Berkly Vanish in 20 lb coil bad?
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 05:34 PM   #2
basstech

I think line that heavy will always coil some, except the braided lines. XT=x-tra tough, XL= x-tra limp. Using XL will help the memory get "pulled" out easier than with XT. Big game tends to have characteristics similar to XT. Personally I like the P-Line CX, it feels a lot smoother and softer to me. You might try that. But still need to check it alot. If you get a bad kink in it due to proffesional overrun it will eventually break. B.T. (just my opinion/experience).
Old 04-01-08, 06:22 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i agree with b.t. heavier line will always have more memory than lighter line. i too like p-line and if i were you i would give it a shot. could you get away with a little lighter line?
Old 04-01-08, 08:37 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IMO, stay away form Trilene or any berkley line for that matter. I recieved a free spool of trilene XL in 12lb test. It had as much coil as a Slinky. Ok, ok, it wasn't quite that bad, but it had more than the 20lb Stren we use for Musky.

But I'd say Stren or Suffix mono is the best best I've tried.

BB
Old 04-01-08, 08:46 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
IMO, stay away form Trilene or any berkley line for that matter. I recieved a free spool of trilene XL in 12lb test. It had as much coil as a Slinky. Ok, ok, it wasn't quite that bad, but it had more than the 20lb Stren we use for Musky.

But I'd say Stren or Suffix mono is the best best I've tried.

BB
I agree. I used to use Stren exclusively, but switched to Sufix. Others here will extol Berkely's Big Game, but it's no comparison.

I'd also suggest picking up some Reel Magic, or KVD Line and Lure Conditioner. The latter is more expensive but better.
Old 04-01-08, 10:00 PM   #6
links_man2

I use lots of P-Line Cx Premium 20# --- nearly at the end of 1000 yd spool. For heavy lines like this, you want to get some KVD Line & Lure Conditioner. I treat my lines just before I load my rigs in the boat heading to the lake. You will be amazed at the difference it makes. I also spray a little on a rag when spooling up new line and run it through that.

And I had used Reel Magic and there is no comparison. And as far as the KVD being more expensive, I buy mine direct and get 4 bottles for $25 or 2 bottles for $16. A bottle last me 6-8 months. I fish 3-4 times a week and treat 6-7 reels each outing. Here is their website:

http://cleverinnovations.net/details...ry/4/prodid/5/
Old 04-01-08, 11:27 PM   #7
fishin' fool

The trilene 20 and 25 pound line is the only trilene line I've ever had problems with! I use 20 pound mono instead of braid because I think mono has way more applications for bass fishing than braid does, so I don't like limiting a rod to just one technique. I might try the P-line, but am thinking about using 20 pound fluoro in the summer.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 12:46 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Any mono/fluoro in the 20 lb + range will have memory-it is the nature if the beast. P-Line Floroclear seems to have less than most other lines. I second the KVD Line and Lure. Good stuff.
Old 04-02-08, 10:26 AM   #9
adamgambill

I have had less coil with the yo-zuri and the suffix in neon colors for some reason. The reel I use them on dosent have a level wind though, so coiling isnt really an issue.
Old 04-02-08, 01:18 PM   #10
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My suggestion is Berkly Big Game. Reel Majic can HELP some of this problem. Because it Retards the line memory.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 10:14 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Moose, next time you need more Reel Magic try the KVD Line and Lure. It does a much better job IMO.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.