Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-08, 01:41 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fly Fishing 4 Bass!!!

Growing up in wisconsin. I did allot of flyfishing. We had the McCall river running threw the back Yard. We fished for brookies like there was no end in site. So i am not afraid of a Fly Rod. I'm thinking about using it in my tournament /Bass fishing. I cant think of a better rod for Topwater. Plus there are a bigger variety of Topwater flys to pick from.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 02:38 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think the reason its not commonly used in tourneys is because people are pushing sometimes to land fish and the thought of slowing down with a fly rod scares them a little. It is actually the most efficient method for fighting fish oddly enough, but you gotta play them right. Will it give you an edge on the tourney trail?

I don't know, but let us know how it works for you. I'd love to see the long rod get more popular. Which brings another question to bear, are there maximum rod length rules in the tourneys you fish? I though BASS required 8' or less to exlude jiggerpolers or whatever you call those fellows.
Old 04-03-08, 02:45 PM   #3
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I remember back in the early 90's Roland Martin started using a fly rod for bass in some B.A.S.S. tourneys, or may have been FLW, but anyway, there was an 8ft length limit on rods you can use during those "sanctioned" tourneys.
Dave Whitlock is a name you might want to check out lilmoose. He was at that time one of the countrys leading authorities on fly fishing for bass. I haven't kept up on this stuff since '94 or so. But definately check the rules and make sure there isn't the same kind of rod length limit in the tourney's you fish.
Old 04-03-08, 02:50 PM   #4
WTL

I imagine having to scale down to an 8 ft flyrod to be legal just about neutralizes the whole reason for using the fly rod. I wish the tournaments werent so strict about such things. Variety is good, lets see what people do with a 20' rod.
Old 04-03-08, 03:04 PM   #5
brushhog

Doesn't one of our young fellas on here do a lot of fly fishing for bass? I'm thinking it was a younger guy from Fla. who kept track of the days in a row he caught fish. Cool guy and great poster.... can't recall the name.

I'm no tourney fisherman, but I would say anything your doing that no one else is could be advantageous if your good at it.
Old 04-03-08, 03:37 PM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I imagine having to scale down to an 8 ft flyrod to be legal just about neutralizes the whole reason for using the fly rod. I wish the tournaments werent so strict about such things. Variety is good, lets see what people do with a 20' rod.
Well the concept is not the rod. The longer Rod would make easy. Yes!!! But i could make it work if need be with a shorter rod. Regular fishing uses weight in or around the bait to make the presentation. In fly fishing it is the weight of the line itself that propels fly.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 03:44 PM   #7
WTL

They make 8 foot flyrods, thats not in doubt. With big bugs I like the larger heavier weights though. Its all about being able to move that line, the larger, longer rod moves it easier, the smaller one with still a heavier weight line is gonna make you work. This doesnt even take into consideration the wind.
Old 04-03-08, 05:30 PM   #8
bamabassman

fly fished all my fishing life. and i LOVE IT!!! have a cheap couple of fly rods. and a few flies. gonna get some more flies. wtl when you are able to come, we'll do some fly bass fishing. ok?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 05:38 PM   #9
zooker

i do it some. i grew up fly swatting in ny my self.. capt mike is the guy to ask moose.after all he is the professinal bass with a fly guide..

bush hawg..
i remember him had this thing for peacock bass on a fly -which would REALLY be fun..

zooker
Old 04-03-08, 06:56 PM   #10
brushhog

Zoocer - Yeah, what the he@@# was his name.. posted lots of great picts... Now I'll have to search it....
Old 04-03-08, 07:46 PM   #11
brushhog

Islandflyfisher was his name... Once posted (boasted) of catching fish 365 days straight!! Interesting young guy, posted good picts
Old 04-03-08, 08:40 PM   #12
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have never fly fished for bass, but I've done a lot small trout pond fishing with a fly rod. I'm guessing a bass fight with a fly rod would be a blast! One thing I have done is tie a short 12" mono leader to the end of a popper with a floating fly...this has worked really well.
Old 04-03-08, 08:56 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

It is not the fight, it is the hookup that is the cool part.. The big 9 foot plus fly rod makes a 5 lb LGMouth bow to your pull.

Face it the bigger the rod the more in control you can be. Fly fishing a tourney is insane unless all particapants are on the the same level.

Fly = Bow
Baitcaster/spinning = Rifle

An 8 wt has brought in 45 lb tarpon for me and 30 lb convict bass in less time than conventional tackle.

So I say go for it and break the rules..

I am behind you all the way..

Ekim Tterrats
Old 04-04-08, 04:47 PM   #14
bamabassman

dead on capt. love the fight when fly fishing.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.