Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-05, 11:00 PM   #1
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

Default big newbie

so as sad as it sounds, my buddy and I started casting into this little pond (1/2 acre maybe) and caught a couple bass (i hadnt really fished before) and now im catching the bug...just wondering what kind of baits you all recommend for warm still florida water as the sun sets (either after rain or when its just frickin hot as all hell) in shallow water...appreciate the help cuz i wont have much time to hit some lakes till after summer
ryno5217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 11:03 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

There are several Florida guys here that can help you out, but in the meantime here is a great site for someone just getting started:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html
Old 07-27-05, 04:44 PM   #3
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

bump it up
Old 07-27-05, 05:44 PM   #4
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For low light conditions I recommend the buzzbaits right before the sun comes up over the treeline in these little ponds that we have here. And if possible fish near all of the brush that grows into our ponds the big ones lurk right behind all of those reeds etc. And pick up a few manns -1 cranks at Wallmart. And give us a little bit more info. Lots of florida weeds and gunk?, water clarity can you at least see 18" below the surface???,

Hope this gets you going.

Oh and if we get another Hurricane or Tropical Storm fish before it even if its not gonna hit you because Im in the O-town area and fished between the rain bands of Dennis and had an awesome fishing experiece. Hope this helps again.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 11:09 PM   #5
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks chris, and to answer your questions you cannot see 18" deep the water is pretty murky, yes there is a lot of weeds and gunk on the bottom, and there are also a number of areas where branches fell into the water during the storms last summer (I have caught many more of these than I have fish) To show you what a newb I am I'm gonna have to go look up buzzbaits now
Old 07-28-05, 02:23 PM   #6
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Agree Buzzbaits Are Awesome. Jitterbugs And Carolina Rigs Are Good On Small Ponds Too. Chris Hit It On The Head You Cant Go Wrong With A Manns Minus One. And Get A Spinnerbait And Throw In The Dead Trees And Branches They Are Pretty Hard To Get Caught Up. Good Luck And Let Us Know How You Do.
Old 07-29-05, 12:15 AM   #7
Bass_fishing_girl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Bass_fishing_girl

Welcome to the site

Sandra

Give us this day our daily limit :D
Bass_fishing_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 02:57 AM   #8
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey buddy,
I have an idea for you if you keep catching logs and you want to fish in low light levels...get a top-water stick bait. It's nothing more than a stick with hooks in it and is painted for your pleasure. Unfortunately they are expensve for what they are(I make my own). Cast this next to the logs(not into them) and let it sit for 20 seconds. Give it a few twitches and let it sit. Twitch and stop until you are clear of the cover and back to the boat. Should be with a fish if that pond is worth anything.

IMPORTANT: When the fish hits the lure, your going to want to rip its jaw off....don't do this. Allow it a few split seconds or even go as far as waiting until you FEEL the tugging of the fish before setting the hook. and even then do so with only a sharp raise of the rod tip. Fish INHALE their prey their entire lives....they know when something isn't right....pressure is a fishermens worst enemy. Slack line is key to getting the fish to want to be hooked. Once it wants to be hooked it is your job to tighten the line and set the hook.
Cuban_Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 10:38 PM   #9
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

well cigar, its funny you say that....just got back out on this pond today and im trying a buzzbait by the grassy areas and about the tenth cast, maybe 5 feet from shore, the biggest damn bass I've ever seen (4 or 5 lbs?, remember im a newb) jumps out from under some grass and inhales my bait. Now I'm proud to say i had a little patience (prolly stunned) and let it inhale it before I tried to set it. However, bout a week ago my buddy was using my rod and caught a big branch and he took out all my drag to snap off the line, didnt let it back out....So when i set it, good bye fish it just snapped right off....I cant remember being so dissapointed, yet i cant wait to go out tomorrow and try it again with more baits in tow
Old 08-02-05, 03:10 AM   #10
KenDammit

just hope he isn't "buzzing" around the pond when you get there tomorrow!
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 10:17 AM   #11
ROBZILLA

Welcome to the site hope you will stay and learn as well as teach. we all get info from one another which is good for everyone.

Robby.
Old 08-02-05, 10:51 AM   #12
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

what part of florida are you in?
Old 08-02-05, 08:51 PM   #13
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

orlando now, was at uf for the last 3 years, hope to get back there by next summer
Old 08-02-05, 08:53 PM   #14
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

well your in winter park, you may kno the pond, its on roanne (st, drive?) off of hall road, got a buddy that lives by there whose friend used to catch a lot of fish in there, said they did some construction and he thinks its much rougher to catch em now, but they're there
Old 08-02-05, 09:50 PM   #15
KH.

Well When Its Shallow I Immeidalitly Put On A Topwater Espicially If Its Spring Or August, Seasons I Call Quarter Seasons
Old 08-09-05, 11:15 PM   #16
ryno5217
BassFishin.Com Member

just to give you all an update, been catching a couple of fish each of the last two nights on black buzzbaits, running the shore like you all said to do ....now wondering if you got anything for the afternoon sunshine hours, ive tried crankin, spinnin, buzzin, poppin, jiggin worms and just cant find it....also, they cut some pines down and branches fell in the water, should i try workin that with a jig, and if so at what time (choosing between afternoon and dusk)....thanks for the help, appreciate catchin something finally
Old 08-10-05, 06:58 AM   #17
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

During the day you can still catch bass on a buzzbait, but I would switch to a white/chartreuss. This may not however be the best bait during the day. You want to fish all around all of the trees, weeds, lilly pads, etc. Bass will hang out in the cover, especially during the day. You have to get your baits into the stuff. You will get hung up, but if you aren't getting hung up once in awhile, you aren't fishing in the right places. During the day slower presentation, and more pinpoint accuracy is more important. I've always had good luck down in Florida with BLACK plastics due to the water clarity. A black lizard/worm/brushog anything. Also as already stated a spinnebait is always a good tool to use, just vary the speed of the retrieve to find out what the bass want. Many of the Florida waters are pretty shallow. So just fishing the shoreline isn't always where the big guys are. Look for a stump/stick out in the middle, or even just a patch of grass, anything different.

Oh yeah Welcome to the asylum.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.