Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-08, 11:22 PM   #26
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am still having trouble with the braid line bunching. Do I need to wet the whole spool before making my first cast?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:35 PM   #27
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've never had to wet the whole spool to stop the line bunching. Here are a couple of things that might help: Make sure the line is tightly spooled on the reel and that there's not too much line on the spool (not TOO tight or it will dig in and bind). Check the bottom surface of the spool top. If it's not smooth and shiny, it may be causing the braid to hang up. All the "braids" take a while to break in, especially the superlines like Spiderwire and Fireline. They can start off fairly stiff and cause spool issues. Line conditioners like Reel Magic will help with bunching.

Don't know if that'll help, but good luck!

Last edited by pignjig; 06-19-08 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Still learning to write...
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:08 AM   #28
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I am still having trouble with the braid line bunching. Do I need to wet the whole spool before making my first cast?
Any time I respool with new braid either on a spinning reel or a baitcaster, the first thing I do when I go to the lake is put the boat in trolling speed, let almost all the line out behind the boat into the water WITHOUT a lure tied on, drag the line a ways, then reel it all back in while the boat is moving forward. I let it almost all out and reel it back in 3 times then I don't have any more trouble with the line packing on the reel. Try it.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:11 AM   #29
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
So rig a "pear-shaped" split ring to the topwater lure and then tie a palomer knot to the small end of the split ring? Does this setup allow the topwater lure to move naturally like a loop knot does? Don't get mad. I am just asking because I have never heard of this before.

I still would like to hear Capt Mike's opinion on the which loop knot.
I tie my topwaters on with an improved clinch knot, and a split ring (any shape will suffice) Thanks for this tip Lancer.

Quote:
Which loop knot are you talking about?

1. The non slip loop knot.

Or

The Perfection Loop -

OR

3. The surgeon's end loop
http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
If using mono, I'll use the non slip mono loop or the rapala knot.

The surgeons end loop is not for tying lures on, but making a loop in the end of a line (sometimes used for making leaders in other kinds of fishing)

Quote:
For braided line, which I now have on one of my poles, what is the best thing to use to trim the excess line when I finish tying the Palomer knot?

I used to use nail clippers but those seem to fray the braided line. I tried using a brand new pair of kitchen scissor (Fiskers) and they too frayed the line.
I've got a cheap pair of briaded line scissors from BPS and they works good. I also have a pair of kitchen scissors that work. Both scissors are serated, which helps cut the braid better. But my new (and favorite) wayis with my Browning fishing pliers that have cutter made form a Tungsten alloy. (and they're replacable when they get dull)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
...One thing you'll notice quickly-- There are as many opinions as there are users....
-Pig
Or more !

Quote:
first off, if this is on a baitcasting reel, tighten your brake. I've never had problem on aspinning reel with briad, but I haven't used it that much on a spinnign reel either. Here's a tip I learned on here (forgot from who). Pull out a couple casts worth of line, then apply a piece of electrical tape to the spool. This way, the next time you backlash, it won't go any deeper than the tape. I've never tried, this cause I keep my brake on just enough to keep me from getting bad backlash (but sometimes it does happen).

BB
Old 06-20-08, 10:12 AM   #30
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Any time I respool with new braid either on a spinning reel or a baitcaster, the first thing I do when I go to the lake is put the boat in trolling speed, let almost all the line out behind the boat into the water WITHOUT a lure tied on, drag the line a ways, then reel it all back in while the boat is moving forward. I let it almost all out and reel it back in 3 times then I don't have any more trouble with the line packing on the reel. Try it.
I wish I could try that. I don't own a boat nor do I have access to one.
Old 06-20-08, 10:18 AM   #31
BigBassin144

Every once in a while, form normal use, the line on my reels gets too loosely packed. Here's what I do. (I have a 300'+ drive way so it helps) I tie on a sinker,a dn close it in my grage door, then I walk down my driveway till the line gets to the spool or the backing (if I have it on). then I walk back up the driveway while winding, and keeping pressure on the line.

BB
Old 06-20-08, 10:25 AM   #32
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Every once in a while, form normal use, the line on my reels gets too loosely packed. Here's what I do. (I have a 300'+ drive way so it helps) I tie on a sinker,a dn close it in my grage door, then I walk down my driveway till the line gets to the spool or the backing (if I have it on). then I walk back up the driveway while winding, and keeping pressure on the line.

BB
I will try this since I have access to a long driveway at work. I just don't know why I am getting those pesky little loop knots after about my 3 cast. I was so mad yesterday evening that I almost cut the entire line from reel. After the 3rd cast I had two small loop knots. I spent the remaining daylight attempting to untie them.
Old 06-20-08, 10:40 AM   #33
BigBassin144

Spinning reel or baitcasting? What brand of briad are you using?

BB
Old 06-20-08, 11:09 AM   #34
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Spinning reel or baitcasting? What brand of briad are you using?

BB

Spinning reel (abu Garcia rod with Shakespeare reel)
Power pro moss green braid (30 lb test) tied to 10 lb mono line (uni to uni knot).

I am fishing a weightless fluke and jerk stopping it all the way back to me. A buddy at work told me that my line was too loose after a few casts because the lure I was using was too light and that this was causing those little loop knots.

Do I need to go with a smaller test pound if I am fishing a light lure?
Old 06-20-08, 11:14 AM   #35
BigBassin144

that may be. You could go down to maybe 15 or 20lb and see if it makes a difference. I'd lso try Suffix Performace braid. It is more expensive, but if you keep getting the problems, send it back and they'll refund your money.

BB
Old 06-20-08, 11:19 AM   #36
Jim80

you might be trying to cast to hard causing the loops also try to close the bar by hand not
by turning the handle i remember having that problem and when i stay doing it that way no
loops ..
Old 06-20-08, 11:24 AM   #37
Fishnngolfn

I think it is a combination of a lot of things.

I am casting too hard.
I am closing the bar by turning the handle.
My line is to heavy for the light bait.

I am going to Academy during lunch and going to respool my reel with a 15 lb braid. I am not sure which brand I want just yet. I know Power Pro and Suffix are good. I use Suffix when I use mono on my other rods.

Should I invest in a line conditioner for braid? Or should I just keep my guides lubed?
Old 06-20-08, 01:52 PM   #38
bassnman30

islandbass,
Do you have problems with the hooks getting fouled up with the line for (spooks,sammies, etc...)?
The only reason that I ask is through trial and error thats what has been my problem, therefore I won't use snaps (anymore).
Old 06-20-08, 02:00 PM   #39
Fishnngolfn

Alright. I picked up some 10 lb Suffix braid. I prewrapped my spinning reel with an inexpensive 4 lb Stren mono line (I can also use this on my daughter's crappie pole when she fishes for blue gill). I then tied the braided line to the mono line using a uni to uni knot (it is not as hard as one might think). I am planning on using a 3/0 wide gap hook with some Zoom cotton candy lizards tonight at a private lake.

Before I cast out with the bait, I will pullout a couple cast lenghts and wrap some tape to help minimize the damage if I backlash (as BB144 suggested above). I will attempt to not cast too hard and try to remember to close the bar by hand.

Here's to a good afternoon of fishing instead of untying backlash or loop knots. Hopefully I will get to post a picture of a decent fish. I am going to a private 10 acre lake tomorrow where the owner stated that the average size bass he catches is 4 to 5 lbs. Hopefully before I get there tomorrow, I can work out the kinks of my braided line problem tonight.

Sorry for the long post but I am frustrated with this new (for me) line and I absolutely love to fish.
Old 06-20-08, 03:55 PM   #40
BigBassin144

One thing I read in a magazine about casting too hard (and I'd assume you know this because of your name). Casting is like swinging a gold club. You don't haul back and smakc the ball as hard as you can, right? Same thing goes with casting. Another thing is use one fluid movement. Don't put the bait behind your back, then pause, then cast. if you swing the bait behind you and back out in one soft movement, I garuntee you'll eliminate any problems caused by casting too hard. You'll most likely get a bit more distance too.

The 10lb braid should help tremendously. I personally (and I've heard others say this) never use more than 20lb test ona spinning reel. Although I never use more than 30 or rarely 40lb on a baitcaster. I see no need (especially around my area) for 50 or 65lb line.

BB
Old 06-20-08, 04:12 PM   #41
Jim80

One thing that was mentioned , what type of pole are you using light , medium light ,
medium , medium heavy , or a heavy . If you are trying to throw a lure that is to light for the pole it could also be your problem , your rod should have a recomended lure
weight range on it , i would check that as well
Old 06-20-08, 04:17 PM   #42
Fishnngolfn

It is a 7.0' medium heavy Abu Garcia.

Oops. It is an Abu Garcia spinning reel and a Fenwich MH rod.

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 06-21-08 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 05:26 PM   #43
Jim80

and how light of a lure were you trying to throw that rod should handle between 3/8
to a 1 oz lure although i could be a little off on that
Old 06-21-08, 12:11 AM   #44
Fishnngolfn

Well I believe I have my loop knots and backlash problems solved with braid.

The problem was likely too heavy of a line and me trying to cast it across the lake. I switched to a 10 lb braid and made an effort to cast softly. The funny thing was that the lure went the same distance and sometimes further with a softer smoother cast than a hard quick cast. I was also more accurate. I also found a comfortable rhythm that included closing the bar with my hand. I had one backlash and I know it was because I threw the lure waaaaaaay too hard that cast.

I fished for about 1 hour and didn't have the problems I had before. I even caught a nice 1 lb 3 oz bass on a night where the fish were not biting. Yeah. Thanks everyone for all the braid line help.

Now it is time to try out those snakes tomorrow.
Old 06-21-08, 09:06 PM   #45
MississippiBoy

There ya go...nothin' a little practice and confidence won't fix. I'm in the same boat a lot of times, as far as the casting is concerned. I try to throw one a mile, I'll get a backlash almost every time, seems like. But I do it a little slower and easier, I'll lose a few feet off distance, but that beats picking out a bird's nest.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 09:07 PM   #46
Jim80

cool man glad to hear ya got it down ..
Old 06-21-08, 10:50 PM   #47
BigBassin144

Glad to hear it worked out good. When using mono, and especially fluorobarcon, I always close the bail by hand, but I really haven't been when using braid. Once you get better at the fluid casting, you'll be able to cast farther with A LOT less effort than chuckin it as hard as ya can.

BB
Old 06-21-08, 11:55 PM   #48
Fishnngolfn

I didn't fish the snakes hardly at all. The lake was not right for them. There was not much cover and the top water bite just wasn't there today. I did however fish a white super fluke almost all day. I also fished a baby brush hog (watermelon color) and a cotton candy lizard. The bass were tearing them all up. So much that I had to replace the bait after each caught fish. I caught around 20 all day. All were 2 lbs or less. I had many more just get away. Next time I fish this lake I am taking out the boat to get to some areas that have underwater brush piles. I just couldn't get to it from the bank without the chance of backlash or bird nesting. All in all, it was a great day fishing.

Oh yeah. I didn't have one backlash or birdnest all day. Horray me.
Old 06-22-08, 04:44 PM   #49
Bob Smith

Quote:
I will try this since I have access to a long driveway at work. I just don't know why I am getting those pesky little loop knots after about my 3 cast. I was so mad yesterday evening that I almost cut the entire line from reel. After the 3rd cast I had two small loop knots. I spent the remaining daylight attempting to untie them.
Sorry, I have been away fishing and haven't had a chance to keep up with this thread. You are not experiencing anything unusual with Braid. It happens to me too. Here's why it is happening. When you first start fishing your spool is "dry" and the cast drag is reacting to the "dry" spool. Once the new has worn off Braid it tends to soak up a little water after a few casts. This makes the spool heavier, thus the cast drag or cast control that was adjusted for the dry spool needs about a 1/4 turn (tighter) on most reels. This usually takes care of it. A lot of guys squeegie the line when reeling it in and that takes a lot of the water out of the line. I don't do that, I simply adjust my cast control for the weight and keep on fishing. If my reels have set up for longer than a week or so (seldom if ever) I will hit the spools with some Reel Magic (other guys will use the KVD stuff) before I ever make my first cast. It makes a tremendous difference.
Spinning reels vs braid, every great once in a while I will get a wad of line break loose. The key is to try NOT to bully this wad apart. A little careful unravelling will keep you from having to cut it out, it was born out of "twist" and simply needs to be untwisted.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.