Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-07, 10:36 PM   #1
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy
Default hey guys, this has me baffled

so my friend and i went to this lil lake in holly mich tonight. we fish this lake alot this year, mostly largemouth, few pike, and a scarce smallie. tonight i caught 2 fish that i assumed were smallies, only thing that thru me off was that both of these fish we more slender than most smallies i have caught, and they both had red eyes. now i know rock bass have red eyes, but my first one was like 16 inches long, and the next was prolly close to 14. the coloring of the fish almost reminded me of perch.

anyone have an idea what they were, i think they were smallies, but the red eyes thru me off big time.

thx for your help,
ken
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 11:12 PM   #2
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

Smallmouth in my area have red-rimmed eyes much of the year, maybe it's a seasonal thing. They sound like they're too long for rock bass and it would be hard to confuse the two anyway.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:02 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

some smallies I've caught have red eyes. Since you don't think they are rock bass, I'd go with your gut.
Old 10-04-07, 12:00 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

only the rock bass out this way have the red eyes. if you exclude them mother naature smokers

smallmouth bass (black bass) eyes are black

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 04:51 PM   #5
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

i assumed that they were smallies, was just curious because one the michigan DNR website, rock bass record sized was like 20 inches. sounds sick, but its there, lol, thought it was like deja vu, lol.

you guys are gr8, quick to respond, and sounds like each person has a quality opinion, at least worth reading, lol. i look forward til the next time i am puzzled and cant figure out my *** from a hole in the ground, lol.

ken
Old 10-04-07, 05:12 PM   #6
JB

ken, all kidding aside, most of the smallies here from time to time have the red ring around the eye
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 06:01 PM   #7
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Bring a camera along with you next time and take some pictures, thats the easiest way and most accurate way we can help you out. Keep us posted!
Old 10-04-07, 07:03 PM   #8
Wags
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags
Default red eyes??? duh....

Hey Guys.....I am the fishin' buddy Ken mentions....Ken was in continuous "fart" mode all the way around that area of the lake, you should have seen my eyes!!!!!!!! All kidding aside, I have enjoyed reading the postings on this board for the past few days since I have signed up. I am not half the talker Ken is.....and maybe not half the fisherman either (don't tell him though). I will be an avid reader of the postings....and an occasional poster when I have a good question. Good luck to all of ya.....have a great fall season.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 07:08 PM   #9
zooker

hey wags..

zooker
Old 10-04-07, 08:31 PM   #10
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

as funny as that may seem, i was just trying to get us around the lake without using up all the battery on the trolling motor, lmao.

i did have my camera phone with me, but havent figured how to download to my computer, so i didnt bother, stupid me, lol.

i dont know about better, but i do catch my share of fish. this outing yesterday was very good for only fishing 2 1/2 hours, but wags still caught between a 3 - 4 pounder, i caught more, but nothing close to that size. we work well together for sure, just hope to utilize in a few tourneys next year.

til next time,
ken

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.