Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-09, 11:42 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Snakes

Seeing the thread on spiders, how many of you have had a snake fall in your boat while fishing. Last year fishing a tournament we had one fall in the boat just behind the guy on the trolling motor. I first thought it was a small branch but when it started easing over the side of the boat and I realized it was a snake, I kind of let Gene know to get us away from the bank -- LIKE RIGHT NOW!!!
Old 02-17-09, 12:20 AM   #2
Love of the Sport
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love snakes. Wanna have some fun, next time you see 1 throw a ribbit in its direction (i'm kidding unless you want to cut your line or have a snake in your boat). Even if you don't hook them its a pain to get them to let go.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 12:27 AM   #3
flbassman

I've had quite a few in the boat, it's always mildly hairy, and I'm a snake guy haha
Old 02-17-09, 09:03 AM   #4
Culln5

I can't stand anything that can run faster than me with no legs!
Old 02-17-09, 03:10 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

my brother almost foul hooked a cottonmouth w/ a rattletrap
Old 02-17-09, 03:12 PM   #6
cassidyta

90% of my snake run ins out here are with rattlers. I do know that a 9 foot fly rod will put a hurting on one but then you have to replace the rod.
I can deal with the snakes and spiders, but one scorpion and my day is done!
Old 02-17-09, 03:21 PM   #7
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Let me just say that i would rather face a bear with a stick then a snake....I was fishing my grandma-n-laws pond with one of my brother in laws and we were fishing some live bait and i casted to right near the bank, thats the sweet spot, and bam the biggest topwater hit i ever heard, saw, experience...I set the hook hard and i was fighting...It was pulling so hard i knew it was going to be 10 plus pound...by the way i had 30 pound braid on, so it was not coming off....i fought for about a minute and i got it half through the pound and i saw my bass stretch to about 8 feet..I said crap i got a snake and ask my brother in law to cut the line...So he comes over there and takes my rod and starts playing with it...i walked away to about 200 feet...it kept trying to swim away but he kept reeling it and letting it loose and reeling it again...so finally the snake got mad and started to swim back toward him and he dropped my rod and ran to where i was...then the snake got onto land and got the line tangled around twigs and grass....so my borther in law went and got a shovel and tried to cut its head off but he couldn't, so we got his grandmas little hand gun and shot it 5 times in the head and it was still snapping at him...eventually we finally got the old rusty shovel to cut its head off, but the body stretched out to 8 feet...I didn't fish for months after that....
Old 02-17-09, 04:40 PM   #8
jig fisherman

jcw, that would have scared the crap out of me. Just yesterady i had a brown recluse on myself and a few years back i snagged a wasp nest..
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 07:20 PM   #9
3dkicker

4" Berkley ribworm in pumpkin/chart catches 'em every time.
Old 02-17-09, 07:37 PM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Never in da boat, but I got one in the very room I'm sittin' in now.

this is kind of an old picture, and some of you can tell.

One of my favorite pictures of him

BB
Old 02-17-09, 08:32 PM   #11
tnfisherman

never had one to fall in but had one try to get in the boat a topwater plug will make one run off
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 09:08 PM   #12
PowerBass

Forget snakes. I can deal with pretty much anything but snakes. I shoot everyone of em that I see on my lawn, or chase em down and kill with the lawnmower, or shovel, or axe, or just about anything I can grab with a nice edge. I do prefer the gun tho, I can keep my distance a bit further away.
Old 02-20-09, 07:45 PM   #13
Bassboss

I saved my little brother from a water moccasin. It was on land, which imo is worse on land, at least you can throw it back in the water with your rod if you on a boat, a bit harder on land! Oh.... ya the moccasin, after he got a good 20 feet away, I found a big rock and through it on it head several times, it got pissed! Thankfully it was in winter so it was a lot more sluggish.
Old 02-20-09, 07:47 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Never in da boat, but I got one in the very room I'm sittin' in now.

this is kind of an old picture, and some of you can tell.

One of my favorite pictures of him

BB

great lookin snake! I would love to get one, but my mom hates 'em, I'll convince her some day though!
Old 02-20-09, 08:40 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Seeing the thread on spiders, how many of you have had a snake fall in your boat while fishing. Last year fishing a tournament we had one fall in the boat just behind the guy on the trolling motor. I first thought it was a small branch but when it started easing over the side of the boat and I realized it was a snake, I kind of let Gene know to get us away from the bank -- LIKE RIGHT NOW!!!
umm i fish the gator river area here in eastern nc.. one fallin in the boat while on the troller is an every time event.. i have had 9 fall into the boat while running the canels at wot.. i have had to wash blood from two that hit the troller at wot and umm kinda splattered..

i have gotten good at using the boat paddle. wack, wack, splash...most of them are cottonmouths... snakes don't bother me. they don't pay rent so they get forcably evicted..

zooker
Old 02-20-09, 10:57 PM   #16
bamabassman

hahahaha, i hear ya zooker.
Old 02-28-09, 05:02 PM   #17
Bassboss

Went fishin to day with only 1 bass.

I saw the COOLEST THING!!!

A 1ft water moccasin swimming to shore. Than I saw a 5+lb bass come up 'hind it! I think you want's gonna happen. She cam up, nice un slow, and wamed it! One of the most cool thing I ever saw!
Old 02-28-09, 09:07 PM   #18
1/4 stick

Now this is a snake....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kr0dhL39Kc
Old 02-28-09, 09:09 PM   #19
cassidyta

I am not fond of the snake but would love to see the fish that would even try to take that one on
Old 03-01-09, 01:48 AM   #20
bamabassman

some snakes make great wallets and belts.
Old 03-02-09, 11:47 AM   #21
3dkicker

What's the matter there Bama? You skeered of snakes? I've heard they make good boots too.

Saw on tv that the rattlesnakes are getting sneaky out west. They've learned not to rattle when people are around due to the fact that those that rattle are scooped up and killed in the round-ups. The quiet ones survive to reproduce. Might not be the best thing for those who live around them.
Old 03-02-09, 03:10 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
What's the matter there Bama? You skeered of snakes? I've heard they make good boots too.

Saw on tv that the rattlesnakes are getting sneaky out west. They've learned not to rattle when people are around due to the fact that those that rattle are scooped up and killed in the round-ups. The quiet ones survive to reproduce. Might not be the best thing for those who live around them.

That sucks! I may move to Arizona!
Old 03-02-09, 11:29 PM   #23
barkelypup

I was about 16 or 17 years old wading the river back home in Eastern KY. I was in water about chest high when I saw a snake come off a drift swimming directly toward me. I was hitting the water and yelling trying to get it to turn and then the unthinkable happened. It went under. Now I know a lot of you like me are beleivers in the good book and you all know the story of Jesus walking on the water. Well I do believe that summer day in the Middle Fork of the Kentucky River that feat came just about as close to being duplicated as there ever was. Now I don't know how big for sure that the snake was but I swear it looked like that snake that ate John Voit in Anoconda. Needless to say I don't care much for them. On the other hand I didn't learn much because in the 16 or 17 years since I get back in that river every chance I get.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:10 AM   #24
66KingFisher

Yep, had one fall in the boat one time but it wasn't a venomous species so I wasn't worried, and the snake seemed to be more surprised than we were by the way it hurried right back outta the boat on its own....my fishin partner kinda looked over and said "Was that what I think it was?".....I said "Yep"....we kept right on fishin....lol. We also caught and released a 2ft copperhead last summer.....caught that little rascal on a black and chartruese Roadrunner.....my partner was more than a little nervous while I was tryin to unhook the snake....hehehe....I was laughin the whole time but I wanted my Roadrunner back...it was catchin fish and the only one of that color I had.

I used to be the vice president for a group of amature herpitologist known as the "Tulsa snake club".....We gave educational shows and seminars to large groups or schools, scout troups, etc. We had one snake of every species of venomous snakes in North America.....plus alot of the common non-venomous variety for the public to view up close.....we taught the differences between snakes and how to identify deadly from harmless.....we also showed a few exotic snakes...cobras,pythons,boas,etc. Most folks told us that we changed their minds about snakes and they would no longer kill every snake they saw, just fer bein a snake. We also ran a rescue service for the Tulsa zoo....we'd get a call from the zoo about a snake being in someones car or swimming pool and we'd send one of our people out to rescue the people by relocating the snake to a less populated area.....We got alot of calls about rattlesnakes and cottonmouths but they always turned out to be just a rat snake or water snake when we got there.....lol. Ahhhh....what can ya do...people are educated from an early age to freak out and kill snakes.....our group tried to change that mindset.

At one time I kept and cared for close to 200 snakes in my home.....yes they were all caged.....but after several years of it the time and expense became more than I cared to keep up with, so I sold or donated every snake I had and decided to let someone else carry on....lol....Here's a picture of me with our show stopper.....Bambie, a 120lb 14ft female burmese python....Her mate Thumper was bigger but I can't find any pictures of him. We'd bring these out at the end of a show and let folks pet or get their picture taken with them.

I know....i'm strange....lol.
Attached Images

66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 11:52 AM   #25
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I saved my little brother from a water moccasin. It was on land, which imo is worse on land, at least you can throw it back in the water with your rod if you on a boat, a bit harder on land! Oh.... ya the moccasin, after he got a good 20 feet away, I found a big rock and through it on it head several times, it got pissed! Thankfully it was in winter so it was a lot more sluggish.

Id rather have one on land with me than in my boat any day.

Was fishing with a torpedo one day and hooked a mocasin. I did not want to loose my bait so I boated the snake, smashed his head with a paddle, and got my torpedo back. When I lifted the paddle the snake took off head first into my fuel line hole. We were very close to a bank with a black lady cane pole fishing sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. I grabbed the tail of the snake and gave him a good toss out to the water. Only to hear the black lady scream, see her take off running, then say "you are one crazy white mother ------". Laughed about that one for some time.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.