Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-07, 09:37 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Crankbait idea.

Yesterday I purchased some new treble hooks to replace the existing hooks on some of my crankbaits. I was about to start changing the hooks when an idea popped into my head and I thought I would throw it at you guys and see what you think. What if I just change the first hook hanging from the belly of the bait and leave off the tail hook completely? My thinking is simply that this would make the lure more weedless and better able to work through brush without hangups, and still have that treble in the centeer portion of the bait to hook the bass. I am a little concerned about short strikers, but to be honest, I cannot remember ever hooking a bass on a crank that wasn't hooked by the belly hook. Sometimes, the tail hook is ALSO hooked into the basses jaw along with the middle hook, but never the tail hook alone. Have any of you ever tried this before?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 09:47 AM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I use it on rattletraps sometimes, dont really notice a difference.. You probably do have short-strikers, they just hook themselves during the fight with the belly hook.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 07:27 PM   #3
3dkicker

Caught a 3 lb bass today on the back hook. Not a good idea considering that I watched two other bass suck and spit my crankbait today and not get them with 2 hooks.
Old 05-12-07, 07:42 PM   #4
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Yeah, but oh boy will it wiggle more
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 08:32 PM   #5
Marty

Try it if you think it will help. In my case, a number of crankbait fish have been caught by the rear hook only.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 10:42 PM   #6
keithdog

Well I figure I'll give it a try. What the heck. If it works, thats great. If I have trouble, the back hook goes back on. The way I figure, if the bass sucks it in, the hook is going in with it. God knows how many times my crankbaits want to snag on everything they come near. Anchor rope, my spare shirt, a rag, any overhanging branch,etc, etc, etc ....LOL
Old 05-13-07, 07:31 AM   #7
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Another thought.....if you have to put the back hook back on....try a single hook in place of the treble with the hook point riding up as it hangs...that is to say if it's hanging straight down, the point will be to the rear. If it hangs sideways on your lure.....add an extra split ring to get it hanging to the rearward. Just thinking out loud....good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 04:57 AM   #8
islandbass

I say give it a try as it will probably change the action enough to give'em something new. Ironically though, I'd say 95% of my crankbait bass are caught solely with the rear treble.
Old 05-20-07, 06:45 PM   #9
keithdog

Here is an update on my crankbait alteration idea. I was out today and hooked into 14 fish. I landed 9 of the fish, which were 8 bass and 1 walleye. Four of the fish were taken on the altered crankbaits with one treble under the belly, including the walleye. ALL the fish which hit my crankbaits were securely hooked and landed. The 5 fish that shook loose hit either the spinnerbait or the frog. While this is definately not an extensive study, I was pleased with the results of the crankbait experiment. The crankbaits seemed to have more action and were DEFINATELY more weedless than with two trebles. I think the belly treble rides far enough behind the lip and head to be deflected from many hangups. It should beinterresting in the comming weeks as the bass will be hitting cranks with a bit more gusto around here. I'll get a better idea of how this experiment will go then. But for now, it looks good.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.