Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-09, 08:50 PM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hook setting soft baits at short range.

So very frustrated. Fishing from shore, while setting the hook, my line broke at the hook eye. This is twice in 2 weeks in the exact same scenario. I get the hit very close to shore; I only have between 5-7 feet of line out when I get the hit. When I go to set, my line breaks at the knot. I use a palimar knot on a 17 pound Berkely trilene leader. In retrospect, it happend a few times last year as well. Always at short distances. I try to go a little lighter on hook sets at that range rather than say, 10-15 yards out. I don't think I'm overpowering things. I get the "bump", my line is moving out. I point my tip to it, reel in the slack and give it a pop and keep my rod tip up (when things dont break). I'm not leaning way back into it. I think I'm compensating and going easier. Maybe I'm not going easy enough. Should I not pop it up at that distance? Should I just pull up against it and maybe let the fish hook itself? I'm fishing on a 5' ultralight spinner and ultralight reel, if it makes any difference. I should also add that I always lubricate the line when I tie off and cinch things down. I'm thinking of going to a heavier leader in case I am still overpowering things. Any suggestions?
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.