Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-07, 02:49 PM   #1
underfrog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rookie needs some advice Update

Wow, this forum and the information has really helped. I invested some more money and time and learned a lot along with picking up some good pond lures. My best success has been on a jig n pig. My only trouble is setting the hook. I went out a couple days ago, brought in three in the 1-2lb range but missed 7, 2 strikes from under water and 5 that spit on the jump. I found a great area with some down trees and got a lot of casts in before I finally got snagged. My first throw landed what I thought was gonna be a huge bass but ended up being an 8lb catfish! Once I lost the lure, I was almost done but fished a short and fat deep diver crank bait that moves really iratically on the walk back to the shore. Just reeling it it feels like I have a fish one it. Anyway, I nailed my first lunker! Unfortunately no one was there to see it It jumped twice and fought hard, I could have fit a tennis ball in it's large mouth. It measured just under 21" from lip to tail tip and I estimate it weighed between 6 and 7lbs. What a fun catch, I'm going back out tomorrow and invested in a nice digital scale and a cheap digi camera to get pics!

-- underfrog dan
underfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 04:30 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Congrats on the lunker underfrog!

As far as setting the hook with a jig... you want to reel down and SNAP the rod back. Don't get a tight line and pull back. You need a little slack in the line then snap it back to drive that hook in. Also make sure your hook is real sharp! Good luck!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 06:40 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

add some scent this ensures they hold on a bit longer..

a word of note if you are used to fishing with a spot remover. hook set is a sweep and reel thing. this don't work on a pnj-boy how do i know..

zooker
Old 05-23-07, 08:16 PM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Don't forget our tourney on here, bro. You've beaten me already.

Zooker and Bass Addict have given the best advice (and better than I could've put it).

As far as catching the 8lb. cat, it's cool, ANYTHING THAT BENDS THE ROD!
Old 05-24-07, 03:14 AM   #5
b4ssman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to b4ssman

when i started bass fishing i thought that i could set the hook too hard........ wrong set the hook like your trying to rip that basses lips off. youll catch alot more. congrats on that big bass.
b4ssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 10:53 AM   #6
James O.
BassFishin.Com Member

Congrats on the lunker
James O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 04:07 PM   #7
The Bass Master
BassFishin.Com Member

have you tryed to cut a little off your weed guard. and how are you feeling that the fish is on befor you set the hook?
The Bass Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 11:44 AM   #8
Sapper364
BassFishin.Com Member

Good job underfrog.

When fishing a jig set the hook on anything that feels out of place, a tic on the jig, your line hops, a flat weight on retrieve. Many times it's not the hookset but when you set the hook. Keep learning that jig and keep that pole bent.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.