Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-08, 07:09 PM   #1
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default oxygen problem

where i fish on my lake theirs a canal.it seem the only good spot to go but i only catch bowfin and gar.bowfin and gar have lungs they dont need oxygenated water.so does that mean where i am fishing have a oxygen problem?and how can i make it better. i didnt really know where to put this question sorry if its in the wrong place.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 07:52 PM   #2
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

I wouldn't say that your issue is with oxygen as it is with the bonfin and gar claiming that canal. Bass are ambushers and if the canal doesn't offer any drop offs to deeper water, brush, stump, etc. it is not suitable for them to habitat this area.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 09:00 PM   #3
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

the canal goes into the lake.it has plenty of cover and structure.the lake is pretty clear.right at the canal seems to have a invisable line right at the canal.the canal is aproxamatly 1/4 or less long.the canal is blackish oily color. the bowfin and gar could have chased them all out.i was thinking it could be to much alge sucking oxygen out. i live in florida thats were it is .
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:20 PM   #4
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't assume just because there are gar and bowfin in this area that it is low in dissolved oxygen. Gar and bowfin still have swim bladders, they can just gulp oxygen from the atmosphere if need. It just sounds like the area is more suitable for these primitive fishes than members of the sunfish family. Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:45 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My guess would be the bass won't share the area with the gar and bowfin. Like around here, if your fishing for bass and are catching pike or musky, it's a good time to move. We noticed the same thing on the underwater camera ice fishing (yes mr florida, fishing through the ice ). When a bass would move through the area, the perch would scatter. I'm sure it's the same thing going on in the canal your fishing.

Also, if the water clarity changes drastically like you said, try fishing there, the bass will use the dirtier water as an ambush point for prey. As for what to use, I'm not the one to ask.

Hope this helps,

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.