Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-09, 12:15 PM   #1
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Where do I go from here?

Hey everyone!
I have a dilemma...

So, at this lake I fish (42 acres) there is this submerged weedbed at the south end of the lake, which is about 2-3 feet below the surface. I work a wacky rigged worm, with any type of worm, and get bites on probably every other cast at the least. The only problem is that they are all below keeper size...I can't seem to find the big ones here.

I will post up a topo map if any are interested in helping guide me somewhere. Thanks!
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 12:18 PM   #2
TravisRush

It's the second "cove" on the far bottom right
Old 08-30-09, 12:25 PM   #3
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Have you tried a different presentation? Have you tried more of a fast horizontal presentation or something that falls vertically fast like a heavy worm?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 02:07 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you like wacky rigging, try a big old 7" Yum Dinger. they are massive, and should get the big ones to bite if they're there. Also, you could try a jig, pitching a big craw or creature bait.

BB
Old 08-30-09, 02:41 PM   #5
TravisRush

I haven't tried reaction type bites but I usually wacky rig a Zoom Trick Worm, and they aren't anything near small.
Old 08-30-09, 02:45 PM   #6
TravisRush

I have burned a swim jig through there without any bites...I fish this area at least once a week and I only get bit on the wacky rig
Old 08-30-09, 04:42 PM   #7
Panthrosan

Try bringing a rattletrap along the top of the weededge or find the depth and bring a crankbait right over the top of the weededge sometimes diving into the weeds and yanking it back out. Another thing you could try since you seem to like soft plastics is a Zoom fluke rigged texas style on a wide gap hook and toss it out there and twitch it back to the boat or shoreline whichever you are on.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 05:02 PM   #8
TravisRush

I like hard baits better, but I have a 10 foot jon boat, my girlfriend and I, and all my tackle. There isn't the room to bring tons of setups. Next time I wil bring a lipless
Old 08-30-09, 05:34 PM   #9
WTL

Hold on a second.

You get a bite every other cast.

How many bass have you caught from this spot?

And not a one that measured?

Guys, a rat-l-trap isnt gonna make little fish grow. Sometimes a place only has little fish.

But, if this is where you are fishing, and you just have to catch something bigger, get a much larger bait. Much larger. Big spinnerbaits or maybe try the whole swimbait deal. Nothing will grow the fish. But maybe a larger lure will eventually swim across the only big fish in the lake. Thats about all you can do. Short of electricity of course.
Old 08-30-09, 06:14 PM   #10
keithdog

My guess is that if there are bigger bass in there, the smaller bass are hitting your worm well before it reaches the larger bass. I suspect the bass your looking for are down deeper in the weedbeds, probably near the deep edges. So what you need to do is use a presentation which allows you to get your bait to them quickly before the smaller more aggressive bass take your offering. Here is what I would suggest. Rig up a texas rigged plastic bait. I like to use the beaver baits as they have few appendages to slow the fall of the bait through the vegitation. Creature biats with lots of arms and such will slow the fall. Another good bait is a Peca Craw. Rigged with a 3/8-1/2oz tungstin bullet weight and pegged to the nose of the bait. You'll want stout tackle for this. Flip your bait out into the weedbeds and let it fall quickly to the bottom and begin working it back with soft short tugs. Sometimes a sharper tug will work even better. Just vary your retrieve to see whats getting the basses attention that day. Concentrate on the deep edges of the weedbeds. An especially good spot is any open pockets you find in the weedbeds. Bass like to hide in the weeds and wait for something that looks like dinner to swim into that opening and then they pounce on it. Flip the bait into the pocket, let sink and watch your line. Often the hit will come on the fall. This is without a doubt one of my number one ways to zero in on larger bass in the summer.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 08:08 PM   #11
toppwatr

keithdog is probably right. sometimes i have sunnys hit my lures before the bass even get a chance at it.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 08:59 PM   #12
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisRush View Post

It's the second "cove" on the far bottom right

I like the looks of that deep edge at 15ft., that's located next to the flat of your cove.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 10:01 PM   #13
TravisRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Hold on a second.

You get a bite every other cast.

How many bass have you caught from this spot?

And not a one that measured?

Guys, a rat-l-trap isnt gonna make little fish grow. Sometimes a place only has little fish.

But, if this is where you are fishing, and you just have to catch something bigger, get a much larger bait. Much larger. Big spinnerbaits or maybe try the whole swimbait deal. Nothing will grow the fish. But maybe a larger lure will eventually swim across the only big fish in the lake. Thats about all you can do. Short of electricity of course.
My dad and I BOTH caught over 30 fish a piece in the span of 2.5 hours one day...I get over 10 every time...nothing over 12"
Old 08-30-09, 10:04 PM   #14
bamabassman

is this lake fished often? sounds like it needs culling. if there are that many small ones, take out enough for dinner and thin out the herd man. that over population will hurt the growth.
Old 08-30-09, 10:28 PM   #15
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Is this a fairly new lake?
Are there a lot of bank fishermen there?(bucket brigade)
How long have you been fishing this lake?
Do you fish from a boat?
Is there any structure in the deeper water?
Clear or stained water?
Have you gotten any information about the lake from anybody local?
What's the water temp?
Any pads or blowdowns?
Rocks?

If it's an older body of water there has to be big bass in it somewhere.The only way to determine what to do to catch them depends on a few different things.If I knew the answers to the above I could probably put together a plan of action.I don't know how long you have been bass fishing,but if it's say 5 years or so you should be able to figure it out with the above info.If you're a beginner then I'm sure one of us here will be glad to help you get the bigguns'.
Don't get me wrong,even if you have been fishing a long time and still can't figure it out I certainly wouldn't mind the challenge.Sometimes I actually enjoy a tough bite just so I have to work for the fish.I only use 6 or 7 different baits so that makes it tougher sometimes.

Personally I head to 12 to 15 ft of water.Looking for deep weeds,rocks,submerged logs,whatever........Weeds work better in deep water.Or very shallow 6" to 2ft into every shadow along the bank.
Old 08-31-09, 01:44 AM   #16
TravisRush

Default still searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
Is this a fairly new lake? NO
Are there a lot of bank fishermen there?(bucket brigade) NO
How long have you been fishing this lake? A YEAR OR TWO
Do you fish from a boat? 10' JON BOAT
Is there any structure in the deeper water? NO DEPTH FINDER
Clear or stained water? CLEAR
Have you gotten any information about the lake from anybody local? NO
What's the water temp? NOT SURE
Any pads or blowdowns? PADS, DOCKS, OLD DOCK PILINGS (CATCH FISH ON THEM AS WELL...SAME SIZE)
Rocks? NOT SURE...NONE THAT I CAN SEE
The next time I'm there I will be trying to work that deeper area close to the cove...I'm getting better at dropshotting so I will employ that
Old 08-31-09, 01:45 AM   #17
TravisRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
is this lake fished often? sounds like it needs culling. if there are that many small ones, take out enough for dinner and thin out the herd man. that over population will hurt the growth.
That's what my thought has been...the last three times there I have taken a few over to a dock cat who is very friendly...always thankful for some bass.

I still wish I knew where the big ones were...if they are there
Old 08-31-09, 07:25 PM   #18
keithdog

Have you fished this lake at night? Sometimes in clear water conditions the bigger bass are easier to catch at night when they come out of hiding and move around a bit more. Try a large jitterbug or large tandem spinnerbait at night and see what happens. And by all means, try a large minnow, like a large shiner or sucker and see if you can entice a larger bass with that offering. Just don't tell anyone here I suggested live bait.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 02:36 AM   #19
TravisRush

I would rather not know that I caught a decent fish on live bait...I have fished there at sunset a few times but I worry about getting back to the launch with what is left of the battery haha
Old 09-07-09, 07:34 PM   #20
TravisRush

I forgot to mention that the weeds are maybe only a foot tall throughout the whole weedbed
Old 09-07-09, 11:23 PM   #21
bamabassman

sounds like it is overpopulated to me. too many small fish, needs culling i think.
Old 09-13-09, 10:43 PM   #22
maxdoty70
BassFishin.Com Member

Default me 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Have you fished this lake at night? Sometimes in clear water conditions the bigger bass are easier to catch at night when they come out of hiding and move around a bit more. Try a large jitterbug or large tandem spinnerbait at night and see what happens. And by all means, try a large minnow, like a large shiner or sucker and see if you can entice a larger bass with that offering. Just don't tell anyone here I suggested live bait.
I was going to say the same thing...I have seen some lakes where the day bite is dinks and the bruisers bite at night....Good one...
maxdoty70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 10:52 PM   #23
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sounds like it is overpopulated to me. too many small fish, needs culling i think.
I second that Bama.
Old 09-14-09, 07:15 AM   #24
Bassboss

Go bigger! Try getting a 10" or 8" mann's jelly worm and wacky rig it! Bump up the tackle too! 15lb flouro and bait casting tackle would be ideal! I'd also try to find spots where the weeds are deeper and throw a lipless crank. Try top waters like popper buzzbaits, and frogs. I'd give a weight less fluke and a weedless spoon a good working too!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.