Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-09, 06:02 PM   #1
basser101
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Using A Leader With A Jig

Hey Guys,
Here lately I've been having real good luck catching bass on Bitsy Bug jigs. I'm also having bad luck loosing them. I'm not breaking them off on snags though. Instead, I'm getting bites then when I set the hook, I come up with no jig. I'm thinking it's either Muskies or Walleyes cutting them off. I'm thinking of using a leader but I'm not sure what kind of line to use. At the moment I'm spooled with 15 lb. test mono. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-09, 06:08 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You could always use some heavy test fluorocarbon. It should resist the teeth a little better than the mono, if that's what is happening, plus it shouldn't be any more visible. I use fluorocarbon leaders for my Carolina rigs. In my case, I use them for their sinking quality, and I use slightly less test rating so I get my expensive Tungsten sinker back in the case of a hook snag break-off. But in your case, I would obviously go heavier than the main line.
Old 09-16-09, 06:30 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My dad and I had the same problem at the local last this past weekend (well, my dad did, I didn't get a single bite...)

He kept breaking off his 12lb fluoro leader. He switched to straight 30lb braid, and did fine for the rest of the day.

I wouldn't think 15lb mono would break so easily though. How old is it? If it's stored in your car or other hot or extremely sunny places or if the line is over a year old, get new line.

BB
Old 09-16-09, 06:30 PM   #4
Bassboss

No, don't use mono for jigs, it just bad! It's not sensitive, and that's that! use flouro or braid! Those to are MUCH more sensitive, than mono!! I'd but on 40lb braid on that reel, and if you want a leader, use 15lb more more flouro leader, make sure you tie the Alberto knot to link the leader to the main line! It's hard to tie, but once you lean you'll be glad you did, it's a great knot!
Old 09-16-09, 06:31 PM   #5
basser101
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the quick comeback. I thought about going mono to braid. Never thought of mono to fluorocarbon. I has to be teeth cutting the line because when I set the hook there is no resistance at all. This has me stumped and I getting a little anoid. )
Old 09-16-09, 06:37 PM   #6
BigBassin144

While mono would not be my first choice, I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad.

Braid would be good, but may not be the best if your fishing in water with musky. If you think about it, 40lb braid is still only the diameter of 10lb mono and still isn't much for a razor sharp musky tooth to cut through. I'd say 15-20lb fluorocarbon may be your best bet. It offer good sensitivity, great abraision resistance, and it's close to invisible.

But if the water you're fishing is extremely muddy or if your in thick vegetation, I probably wouldn't hesitate to use a steel leader in front of 30-40lb braid to keep the musky from stealing your jigs. But then, of course, you'll have to catch them (which may be fine with you, I know I'd be happy to catch one bass fishing since I can't catch while fishing for them, lol.)

BB
Old 09-16-09, 09:02 PM   #7
basser101
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks. You guys have been a big help. I'm thinkin about tryin 15 or 17 lb. fluorocarbon. Stupid me. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Just bummed out about loosen so many jigs I guess. LOL The next Muskie or Walleye I catch, the credit goes to you guys.
Old 09-17-09, 10:49 AM   #8
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just a thought....Don't overlook your knot and how you tie it. I like and use the Palomar knot, but know that if not lubed and tied carefully, the knot strength can be very weak. I was recently fishing a night crawler drop shot style. Set the hook and got the fish close enough to see it just a few feet below the boat (a large panfish is all - no teeth really). Then suddenly nothing and reeled in to see missing hook and split shot. Broke right at the hook knot!
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 11:40 AM   #9
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would definitely change the mono out with fluoro. You will get a lot more sensitivity for fishing those small jigs. I wouldn't necessarily bulk up the line, though, especially since those bitsy jigs are smaller. You can use a swivel snap at the end of your line and that's usually enough to keep the line out of teeth. It's worked for me in the past when fishing for 'ol marble eyes.
Old 09-17-09, 03:24 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
I would definitely change the mono out with fluoro. You will get a lot more sensitivity for fishing those small jigs. I wouldn't necessarily bulk up the line, though, especially since those bitsy jigs are smaller. You can use a swivel snap at the end of your line and that's usually enough to keep the line out of teeth. It's worked for me in the past when fishing for 'ol marble eyes.
That probably would help for an 'eye, but I don't know if the extra inch or less is gonna help if it's musky, lol. if you use a snap swivel, don't buy cheap ones or you'll just lose more jigs.

I rarely use snap swivels, but I do occasionlly use a duolock snap. If I do use a swivel, a duolock snap and ball bearing swivel will give you the best action and the least chance of losing your bait.

BB
Old 09-20-09, 10:00 PM   #11
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basser101 View Post
Hey Guys,
Here lately I've been having real good luck catching bass on Bitsy Bug jigs. I'm also having bad luck loosing them. I'm not breaking them off on snags though. Instead, I'm getting bites then when I set the hook, I come up with no jig. I'm thinking it's either Muskies or Walleyes cutting them off. I'm thinking of using a leader but I'm not sure what kind of line to use. At the moment I'm spooled with 15 lb. test mono. Any suggestions?

Welcome to bass fishing!! You can use whatever line/ line combo you want... if a pike or musky bites your line, it's going to cut (I've had a pike cut 50lb braid). It's just something that we deal with. It happens.

I was pre-fishing last year and my partner and I got bit off about every other cast. It wasn't fun but it's fishing with pike in the water.

Just buy 3 or 4 of everything and you'll be set.....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 10:35 PM   #12
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bassboss...u read wayyyyy to much. it is definately a good thing to read, but just because u read that u shouldnt use jigs on mono doesnt mean its true. i use mono on my worm rod and it has plenty of sensitivity.
not every one has sponsors that pay for all there stuff, so some people will just have to settle for mono.

i try to change my line once every 2 tourneys(every month or sometimes 2 months) so i have to stick to mono on my worm rod, crankbait rod, and spinnerbait rod. it gets to expensive to change fluoro and braid like that.

moral of the story...dont take everything that u read so literal

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.