Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-09, 11:52 AM   #1
brokenwing
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling motor for duck hole.

I've got an old 50# thrust motorguide tolling motor and shaft that I'm building a stand to stick in a duck hunting hole to create water movement. I've seen such setups work effectively but didn't pay any attention to how it was pulled off.

Basically, I've got a stand built of 4x4 posts to hold the shaft and motor underwater. I've got 30 feet of 8 guage wire with an in-line 50A fuse and an inline trolling motor foot switch to control it from my pit.

2 sealing questions, since the entire set-up (shaft and motor) will be under water.

1. Where the shaft screws into the motor, do I need to seal these threads with anything special? Will plumbers tape work? Do I need any sealing at all on these threads?

2. At the top of the shaft (where the wires exit) I planned on putting a big plug of silicone to seal it off. Will this work? Any other ideas?
brokenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 07:30 AM   #2
Dave Smoot
BassFishin.Com Member

The shaft entering the motor asy. does not need any sealer. You will need to make VERY sure that you seal up the opening that the wires are exiting from. I would suggest that you clean down in the shaft with something like acetone or some other solvent to remove any oils or grease that might have acumulated in there. Remember this is the ONLY way water can get in there so seal it up tight. Finger nail polish remover is also a form of acetone. I would let acetone dry good before sealing up the shaft as acetone has a very low flash point and any fumes may ignite. Good luck with your project and good hunting.
Dave Smoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 09:14 PM   #3
brokenwing
BassFishin.Com Member

Dave smoot- appreciate the reply. It's going to be a good season!
brokenwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.