Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-06, 07:01 PM   #1
karlduerr
BassFishin.Com Member

Default battery charger question

setting my 13 yr old son with up with a 14 ft flatbottom aluminum boat w/trolling motor.have 2 everstart max marine 875 cranking amps each,need a trickle charger (they will be in garage on bench for winter)dont want in boat charger also i would like to hook them together so there both constantly charged.would i hook neg to pos with 1 cable and put charger on remaining terminals.anybody have a in house charger they would recommend i just see reg chargers online.thanks
karlduerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 07:34 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You don't want cranking batteries for trolling motors, you want a lower cranking amp, higher reserve amp battery.You also don't want to trickle charge the batteries. A 15 amp charger works best for battery lifespan, a 10 amp is fine, but they aren't as good as a 15 amp charger. Everstart makes the 15 amp charger I have.I have had the same everstart 27 series trolling motor battery for 4 years now.I bought a new battery as I thought it should be time, but the old one works as well as the new one does.I hope this helps.BTW the Maxx batteries are for cranking power, I have not seen them in a high reserve trolling series.Of course I am not always correct. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 07:45 PM   #3
karlduerr
BassFishin.Com Member

these batteries came with a package deal. so there no good to use at all ?also do i just leave them on charge all the time or after charging shut it off?
karlduerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 12:19 AM   #4
skeeter944

welcome to the forum karl!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 06:01 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

never leave the charger on full time i trickle mine about 24 hours that normally is long enough to get them to full charge. cranking battiers will work but have a low reserve amount. they don't last as long pre charge as a trolling battery..

i use a blue top optima 31 series troller and a red topped crank battery.. yeah i knew OUCH! but to me there worth it..

zooker
Old 12-04-06, 06:57 AM   #6
pig n jig

Karl, the batteries will work, the cycle time between charges will be shorter especially if you run the trolling motor on high alot during the day.The everstart charger has a light that tells you when the battery is full charged.It may have a automatic shut off, but I always shut the charger down and take the terminals off the battery.I charge my batteries up and leave them in the shed all winter long with no heat. They work fine the next year.Run the batteries until they die before recharging if possible.After few years when your Maxx batteries finally give out, then buy a good 27 series battery, or bigger if your boat can handle the extra space taken up and the extra weight.they really are worth the few extra dollars. In this case, they might be less than the Maxx batteries you bought. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.