Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-08, 05:52 PM   #1
Wags
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags
Default How to hide wiring???

I am putting in a new (Used) fishfinder on an older Ranger (1990). I am mounting the transducer on the transom and the screen upfront on the deck by the troller. I have enough wiring to do this but have NO IDEA how to run the wiring back to the batteries and the transducer under the deck of the boat. Any suggestions?? Keep in mind I'm not all that handy with....er...well...anything. Thanks
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 06:42 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

place it on the driver side come up the transome then wire tie it into the moter control wires keep spacing the wire ties up to the dash.
it is an older ranger right?? then with a screw driver push the wire under the carpet/top cap joint.. with a newer ranger with the flush carpet/top cap joint you have to go under the front deck...

standard operating trick is all wiring is run on the driver side the troller is run on the passanger side..

zooker
Old 11-23-08, 07:05 PM   #3
Wags

thanks zooker, I just ran out to look at it. There is about a 3/4" border of fiberglass all around the deck of the boat, then it drops maybe an 1/8" and the carpet meets up there. The 1/8" seems to be like a seating for the carpet. So I think you are saying to pinch the wires in between the edge of the carpet and that fiberglass 3/4" border?

Last edited by Wags; 11-23-08 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 09:22 PM   #4
Basscrazie

Don't you have a control panel on the front for your trim and lights??
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 09:44 PM   #5
Wags

Yes I do, but even if I take that off, how does that help me to run wires towards the rear of the boat since I have no access points to the underside of deck?
Old 11-23-08, 10:43 PM   #6
Wags

or are you telling me to hook-up to something directly in that panel??
Old 11-23-08, 11:17 PM   #7
Earl Marshall

You should have a hot wire running to the front panel hook it to it.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 05:46 PM   #8
Wags

OK..I removed the panel and made the wiring connection for the power on fish-finder. Now I see that the old transducer wire from the old fish-finder seemed to be going into a pvc-type pipe towards the bottom of the bow and disappearing from there. The wire from the transducer off the transom goes thru an access hole on rear of boat and seems to be going along side towards the drivers seat. I have no idea how that would meet up with that tube in the bow??? Unless somebody can set me straight, I will probably just do my best to run wire from transducer along the top drivers side as best I can to the fishfinder on the front deck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!!
Old 11-27-08, 10:59 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i noticed you said that you were mounting the transducer on the rear of the boat but the graph is going on the front......why don't you mount the trasducer up front on the trolling motor? it would give you a more accurate reading of what is under you while you fish and would be a lot easier to install.
Old 11-28-08, 12:39 AM   #10
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WAGS,
That PVC tubing runs down the center of the boat under the deck, and terminates just ahead of the drain between the consoles. If you want to install the transducer inside the boat, it can be epoxied under the floor drain ahead of the seats and the wire pulled thru the PVC tubing to the bow mounted locator. The hot wires can be taken off the factory wiring in the bow that was factory installed for accessories. Do not use a hot wire to the trolling motor, or you will get interference when you run the TM. Or as ZOOKER said, you can install the transducer on the trolling motor, but it can get damaged is you fish in rocky lakes.
If there is no accessory hot wire on the front console, you can get a length of #9 galvanized wire and double the end over about an inch to get a smooth end to push thru the top cap, starting at the drivers side console and pushing the wire thru the top cap of the boat. You may run into a little resistance in getting the stiff wire to go thru, but by working it slowly back and forth, it can be worked up to the bow console. Once you have the galvanized wire worked thru to the front console, you can attach your hot and ground wire to the doubled end of the #9 wire and pull it back thru the top cap to the drivers console. Be sure to tape the hook very well with electrical tape so it will not catch on anything as you are pulling the wires back thru the top cap to the drivers console. After you get the electrical wires run back to the console, you can install a fuse and attach the hot and ground wires under the drivers console into the factory wiring. All wiring will be hidden and protected.
JackL
Old 11-28-08, 06:06 PM   #11
Wags

carolina-rig......I am hoping that this 1 fishfinder set-up is somewhat temporary. At some point I would like a nicer 2nd Fish-finder with GPS for the console. So for now, since it is a 1 finder set-up, I am going to mount the transducer on the transom so that I always have it in the water, even when using the outboard. When I get the second one, I will move the transducer up-front with the deck fish-finder. But your point is duely noted. Also, thank you Jackl for that great info. I have had second thoughts about running the wire back thru the pipe because of it's temporary nature. I think I will just try running it along the deck for the time being.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.