Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-09, 10:23 PM   #1
DonaldBreland

Default Lazer Trokar Hooks

Have any of you purchased or used these hooks. I just received mine in the mail today and will tell you more about them on Monday.
Old 08-29-09, 08:58 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nope, too expensive for me. Gamakatsu's and Owner's work good enough for me anyways.

BB
Old 08-29-09, 04:33 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

they are high end for sure i got a pack.i am NOT impressed... sharp yes but tend to straighten very easily..alot like a diachii hook sharp as all get out but no back bone..

i'll stick with mustad trebles and gammy worm hooks

zooker
Old 08-29-09, 04:44 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

let me know what you think of em. there gonna have to be pretty good for me to switch from owners. never really have been to impressed with gammys for worm hooks...they straighten out too easy.
Old 08-30-09, 10:04 PM   #5
DonaldBreland

I absolutely love these hooks. The best I have ever thrown and they are sharp. I think they are well worth the money. I would recommend them to any tournament fishermen because of my hooked to missed ratio over the weekend. I caught 18 bass and missed 2 over a 2 day period. That is a 90% ratio if I'm not mistaken. I will continue to give info on these hooks over the next week. Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-09, 03:19 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
I absolutely love these hooks. The best I have ever thrown and they are sharp. I think they are well worth the money. I would recommend them to any tournament fishermen because of my hooked to missed ratio over the weekend. I caught 18 bass and missed 2 over a 2 day period. That is a 90% ratio if I'm not mistaken. I will continue to give info on these hooks over the next week. Thanks guys.
Just did the math. 16/18 = 0.888, rounded to 0.89 x 100% = 89%

That is might darn good, especially when you consider that they pay a baseball slugger millions to hit the ball 33% of the time.

I appreciate the report. Unfortunately, being that I don't fish tournaments (yet), it's just a little too steep in the price department for me at this time.
Old 08-31-09, 05:27 PM   #7
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
never really have been to impressed with gammys for worm hooks...they straighten out too easy.

Gamakatsu makes the EWG's in at least two different gauges of wire. The thinner gauge EWG does straighten a little sometimes when I get hung up. Haven't ever had one straighten on a fish but have had them bend out which could cost a guy fish. The heavier gauge ones have never bent on me, though I've had a few break. Either way I still prefer the sure penetration I get with the gammy's and actually prefer the thinner gauge hooks. It really just depends on the attributes that are most important to the angler.
Old 08-31-09, 07:50 PM   #8
DonaldBreland

89% is good in my book lol. I still believe its 90% though. I caught 18 fish and missed 2. Thats 20 fish total and 2 misses. Thats 1 miss every 10 fish. So if I caught continued that same streak for 100 chances at catching the fish that would be 90 bass caught and 10 missed. lol. 90%
Old 08-31-09, 09:17 PM   #9
wargoth

Straightening Gammy's!?!?! What are you doing Hooking into sharks on 3/4" cable??? I occasionally will bend one a little outta whack when I snag them into wood on one of my braid rigs, but never seen one even budge from a mere fish...
Old 09-01-09, 01:14 AM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
89% is good in my book lol. I still believe its 90% though. I caught 18 fish and missed 2. Thats 20 fish total and 2 misses. Thats 1 miss every 10 fish. So if I caught continued that same streak for 100 chances at catching the fish that would be 90 bass caught and 10 missed. lol. 90%
You are right. I misinterpreted your figures. Sorry! When you said caught 18 and missed 2, my brain interpreted that as 18 total caught, 2 of which were caught but lost, which lead me to 16 caught and landed. That is where I got the 16, basing the grand total on 18.

Either way, that is an excellent ratio.

Yada yada. If I see these hooks in my area, I might buy a pack. Just from the pics they look scary sharp.
Old 09-01-09, 01:27 AM   #11
DonaldBreland

Its okay islandbass. 89 to 90% is good but I believe it was actually my change in rods that helped me catch those fish. I have to say the combination of my new tiger rods and the lazer trokar hooks is what helped me catch those fish. I want to thank Tim at Tigerodz for making a very good sensitive and light weight rod. I believe that's what mad ethe difference.
Old 09-01-09, 02:09 PM   #12
rodnreel

Hey guys, new to the forums on here. Been reading the past couple of days/weeks and like the information I am reading. I just bought a pack of the Trokar hooks today and plan on hitting the lake tonight for some testing. I'll report back when I get a chance. By the way, if anyone cares, I am a die hard Gammy fan so it took every ounce of me to break down and purchase a 6 pack for $10!
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 11:47 AM   #13
rodnreel

Well, it's been over a week of using these hooks. I've only been out once in that time and was skunked! So stay posted, I'll eventually be able to report on how the new hooks hold up.
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 11:43 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Good grief Charlie Brown, 10 bux for 6 hooks. I am behind in the times again.
Old 09-13-09, 12:12 AM   #15
DonaldBreland

Okay. I have another report. As far as the hooks straightening out if your hung up. They will. I am also using 50lb braid too. As far as sharpness. They receive a 10 out of 10 to me. I have been getting better hook ups and the fish are having a time throwing this hook. I actually have had to use my pliers a couple times to extract the hook from even the lip. All around a really good hook and I would have to say they are the best hooks on the market.
Old 09-25-09, 07:20 PM   #16
BERKLEY83

Love the Trokar hooks great hooks. Very very strong and the price yeah they are pricey but the are very sharp i have switched from gamakatzu and i thought that day would never come. because gammy makes great hooks but the trokar just edge them out.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.