Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-09, 06:30 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Leaders On Braid; The Final Frontier

Some comment has been offered re using leaders on braids when fishing topwater. There are times when such may be to your advantage, however, as follows:
Slow-moving TW, when line visibility may be a concern, real or imagined. In such cases one is not bound to using fluorcarbon which may impede the action of a chugger type lure or a prop bait (Tiny Torpedo, etc.) due to it's tendency to sink. One may just as easily append a regular mono leader to the braid...Problem solved.
When the weather is cold mono becomes stiffer and less manageable thus backlashes may result so well as reduced casting distance and accuracy. Why not append a mono leader to braid and enjoy greater castability while avoiding the downside of cantankerous mono? Harder monos, such as P-Line CXX AKA ExtraStrong, are less absorbent of water and are an ideal choice for the purpose.
A fast-moving TW...Toad;BuZZZZZZZZbait, and so on, are more easily cast on braid in colder conditions, and a leader is not indicated. However, if one fishes frogs, with stops, starts, twitches, pauses, etc, then a leader may be a good idea, especially in clear water. Again, mono fills the bill.
A reasonable compromise may be the use of a fluoro-sheathed mono, such as P-Line FloroClear (no "u") for a TW leader. It offers lower visibility, greater abrasion resistance, and it's sink rate is far slower than pure fluoro.
About those backlashes in cold weather...An overrun with braid is far more easily cleared, with no kinking, than one with mono when the weather is cold and one's fingers are numb.
I've put these ideas to the test, BTW, and they passed with flying colors.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 11:12 AM   #2
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
I've put these ideas to the test, BTW, and they passed with flying colors.

L6
So...as long as I am not a squirrel, I can believe you, right? (Loved your profile!!).
Seriously, I am in total agreement about the ease of braids vs. mono, esp in cold conditions. 6' mono leader+slightly stained water=no problems with braids for fishing topwaters. With the exception of buzzbaits. I prefer mono with buzzers (and with fast moving baits like rattletraps), only because the stretch makes it less likely to pull the bait away from the fish before it gets hooked.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.