Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-05, 07:53 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Making Trailer Bunks

Well my little old trailer need the bunks replaced. I have just plain old wore the old ones out, from loading and unloading it so much First off the trailer has a total of three bunks. Two of them are about 6 feet long that run from the back end of the boat up towards the front. The third is about 2 feet long and runs across the front of the boat. It's a flat bottom 16' Aluminum Fisher Marine. All three are worn through on the carpet, and one of the longer ones actually has cracked the wood about 2 feet in from the back end, right where the mounting bracket is. All of the brackets are fine, just need to replace the boards and carpet. They appear to be made out of standard 2X4's, with carpet glued on. I can obviuosly cut the size, and glue the carpet, but would like some input from all of you experts on what is the best materials for the job. I was planning on some basic treated 2X4's and some outdoor carpeting, but not sure if that is the best material. Will standard carpet last longer, or will it mildew, stain rot etc... Also is glueing it better than heavy duty staples, which would be easier to replace just the carpet the next time. It really isn't a huge project, but one I want to get done. Especially since it looks like I'll be heading to Florida in the near future for a visit and look around at the area for a possiblitly of moving there. I would of course fish while I'm there, definately gonna go over to Rodman Reservoir, since I missed it last time down. Any suggestions on the bunks would be appreciated.

Lizards
Old 10-04-05, 08:56 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default zooker

lizzy go to home depot. they have a plastic 2x4's they are twice as long lasting as regular presure treated 2x4's. add out door carpet the excat same way as if it was a regular pressure treated 2x4..

can't log in as i am using a cell modem -no web site..
zooker
Old 10-04-05, 10:07 PM   #3
WTL

Hey Lizards, you are probably giving this too much thought! Pressure treated 2x4s will be fine, given normal use you should get 10 years out of them. I get my carpet for bunks off the street, shag seems to do real well. I also use stables and I have used roofing nails, I think liquid nails would work but its a little more messy than the staples. Now, in order to cut the 2x4s you need a special tool, its called a saw....
Old 10-15-05, 11:17 AM   #4
Unregistered

just repalced mind. the man at the boat repair place told me a little trick. when you wrap the carpet around the 2x4s leave a little gap on the under side. he said this lets the water drain better and the wood and carpet will not rot as quick. i just used treated 2x4 bunk carpet i got at the boat shop and staples.

don,t know why it says unregisterd nobass
Old 10-16-05, 06:49 PM   #5
lizardsrule

I finished them yesterday.

NOBASS Wish I would have read your post before finishing them off. OH well they should last quite awhile.

It was acutally quite simple, and inexspensive. Total cost in parts was about $20 and it took me about 3 hours total to do it. Just took my time, and made sure it was done right. Got treated wood, and outdoor carpet. Used tons of staples, and cut everything very well to fit. The biggest problem was I had to jack up my boat off of the trailer in the garage. I should have just done it with the boat unloaded at the lake, if you have access to power that is. Anyway thanks for the tips, it was easy, and now I can do it quicker the next time.

Lizards
Old 10-17-05, 04:03 PM   #6
96basscat

Default trailer

Last time I had to replace mine, on a Tracker I used to have, I just got treated 2x4's and added the Teflon pads intead of carpet. I figured the wood would last longer much longer if it didn't have the wet carpet on it all the time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.