Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-05, 07:50 PM   #1
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default people that preferr aluminium boats

i love aluminium boats for 2 reasons they are lighter and stronger then fiberglass boats

please tell me why you prefer aluminium boats over fiber glass
Old 11-08-05, 08:27 PM   #2
Jackl

They are wetter and noisier than fiberglass boats!

JackL
Old 11-08-05, 09:43 PM   #3
thomas32140
BassFishin.Com Member

I love em cause if you get a scratch or something you can just spray paint it, you cant do that with a fiberglass boat. My favorite brand of aluminum boat is express
thomas32140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 11:05 AM   #4
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

fiberglass looks cooler....lol
jk..i've had both..i'll take a glass boat,can't beat the ride or stability as a fishing platform.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 05:56 PM   #5
pig n jig

I like aluminum boat because I get 31 MPG while towing it.I can fish places you wouldn't dare try with a 'glass boat.I don't mind getting wet, but rarely do.I ain't seen a Fiberglass boat yet that I have caught more fish out of than I have with an aluminum boat.No I don't go fast, but I don't care to, riding in some glass boats tournament time ,I thought we were going faster than my guardian angel could fly. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 06:02 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

take my glass rig any day. aluminum tends to slip and slid when connering. my glass boat-stratos- conners like it is on rails.. oh yeah it weighs 150 pounds -dry hull weight-less than a 17 foot express...

zooker
Old 11-09-05, 06:04 PM   #7
pig n jig

Last summer, I lost the boat off the trailer doing 65-70 MPH. It flew off and bounced once on the road before it came to rest in a field. I turned around and loaded it back on the trailer by my self. Try that with a fiberglass. I did have to put some weld on a few road rash dings to be safe, but It faired very well.I use the saftey chain on her all of the time since then. P N J
Old 11-09-05, 06:04 PM   #8
zooker

pnj
tell him to stay on the dam dock. there is no place for gaurdin angels when you trim it high and let er fly..

zooker
Old 11-09-05, 10:15 PM   #9
bass kicker

a aluminium boat with a 250 will go alot faster then a fiber glass boat with the same motor because the aluminium is alot lighter
Old 11-09-05, 10:16 PM   #10
bass kicker

and if you hit a log with a aluminium it will only dent try that with a fiberglass
Old 11-09-05, 10:56 PM   #11
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

dont know about you guys...I prefer to stay off the logs and keep my boat tied down...and I don't recall ever seeing one of those air-foils with a 250 on it. and what stratos wieghs 150 lbs?????

just wondering?
ddc_5114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 11:54 PM   #12
Unregistered

Give me a bellyboat, a pair of flippers and and one of those peanut butter and jelly sammage,and a pole with no hook on it... Why do yaull use all those shinney thingies and those rubber thingies on a pole with them cranker things on it where you turn it after you toss those things out into the water to bring them back to you. Why do yuall bring those thingies back to the boat anyway, if you tossed them out thar fer the fish to eat you ought to leave them out there till they eat em. That's wrong. That's just teasing the fish. And putten that sauce stuff on those things just to fool a fish. Man that is cruel. Not only that, I heard yuall say after you cranked those fish in to the boat that you caught ( Just tricked them into eating thos things), that you yuall would just throw them back in the water. You are asking for trouble. Them fishies are going to gang up on yaull, and when yaull are setting in yaulls boats thinking about something that you shouldn't be thinking about, them fishies are going to gang up with all their fishie buddies and they are going to take revenge and going to yank yaull off into the water, and then they are going to put that sauce stuff on all those wormy things and spinner things that you all thaught yuall had lost. Then they are going to feed them to yaull while yaull are under water. Then they are going to pull yaull over to their favorite log, and stick yaull under it and let all the others people in boats throw those shunny things at you. I'm telling you, they are getting fed up with all yaull teasing them. Better stop teasing the fishies. Mark my word. You will read about it in the fishie news. Head line will say " Bunch of bass pulled bunch of men off boat". Captured all their boats that was on lake and all tackle.. Then what you gonna do??? That's why i use my belly boat. I go out thar on the lake and I feed the fishies peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. and I know whur all the big uns are at. some big as 26 pounds. But i will never tell yaull. They like me cause I don't tease em with all that shinny stuff and all that sauce stuff. Shame on yaull.
Old 11-10-05, 07:31 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

ZOOKER

YOU TELLEM BUDDDY couldnthave put it better.CANTWAIT TO DO IT AGAIN

Basskicker

Hate to argue wuth you but aluminnum WILL NOT run with glass. Its impossible to get the speeds outta aluminum that you get with glass.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 02:12 PM   #14
flfireman

Dont care as long as Im fishing. Have a 17' aluminum and enjoy it. Would have a glass if I needed one. When I do buy a glass, Im still keeping the other to fish the stick marsh.
Old 11-10-05, 07:24 PM   #15
pig n jig

You wouldn't like it here in NY state. 45 MPH speed limit is the fastest you can go, There are 5 MPH no wake zones and 20 MPH Zones. You really don't need anything more than a 135 HP motor unless you like going to court. P N J
Old 11-10-05, 09:55 PM   #16
bass kicker

i have seen multiple trackers with 250 beet fiberglass boats in a race with the same motor
Old 11-11-05, 10:45 PM   #17
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i do believe a properly set up 2100 gambler with a 250 will out run ANY alum.boat.period.or just about any other bass boat with a 250.what do you think laser?
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 08:24 AM   #18
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Runnin a mean 14 aluminum utility boat hung with a 15 Yammy. Planes on a quarter throttle. It's a fine vessel and does it all. Yup, just about what I could afford almost............good fishin, Mac

As for comparing aluminum to glass, apples to oranges....they both have proven to be good for what they do and in the way they do it. The best riding and handling I've ever been in was an old wooden Larsen. Even looked good sitting still.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 07:11 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Bassintom I do beleive that you are correct. Bass Kicker would you please give more info on these Trackerss that are running 250 motors. Only tracker that I know of that will run a 250 and I dont think that they are rated for 250 is the targa I beleive the name is. I'm not saying that you havent witnessed what you stated but I would definatley like some more details. Being that I have dealt with boats for MANY years,rode and drove just about everything out there, and work on boats being it repairing them or makin em go fast I have never witnessed such a phenomenon. The law of physics has alot to do with this. Glass will handle the speeds and stay in the water due to the hull not flexing and the planing surface being as close to perfect as possible. The aluminum will flex and the surface will not be a real good planing surface due to the fact thatthere will be irregularities along the hull that cause turbulence hence slower speeds and not to mention the fact about blowover.
Old 11-19-05, 08:27 AM   #20
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
a aluminium boat with a 250 will go alot faster then a fiber glass boat with the same motor because the aluminium is alot lighter
The rivets will fail and the skin will come apart at those speeds. It will buckle like a squashed aluminum can. The bow will go first then the transum. Wouldn't advise anyone to over power this type of boat.
Old 11-19-05, 01:09 PM   #21
zooker

mac you are correct on ride and handlin of a wooden boat my pop used to have a 46 penn yann. heavy but sweet looking -and a ton of work-spent many winters tinkering on the old gal..

but pnj they have to catch you first...

zooker
Old 11-20-05, 06:33 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Very good rendition of a proven fact there unregistered.
Old 11-23-05, 06:22 PM   #23
fishinboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to fishinboy

Mac3, yur right. both have proven what they can and cant do. 'glass can go fast, alum. can go places a 'glass cant and take a better beatin then 'glass. Personaly i perfer a alum. 14' with a 7.5 HP. what do you need speed for when you are fishin? your tryin to catch fish, not out run them!!!
Old 11-23-05, 06:46 PM   #24
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I can put my Pro 17 in places where I could never put a glass boat. There are so many hidden stumps in the river where I fish it would be hard for me to navigate a glass boat. But for comfort and speed, I will take a glass over aluminum any time.
Old 11-23-05, 09:47 PM   #25
fishinboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to fishinboy

river stumps, true about the places you can get a alum. and not a 'glass. comfort and speed, definently a 'glass, but what do you nedd speed for???

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.