Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-06, 10:26 AM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Post For the new guys...

Just a message to all you new guys that complain about breaking ten and twenty pound test, first off, buy good line. Shakespeare does not cut it, I prefer ANDE, but Stren and some others work. Tie a knot in your line, and pull as hard as you can. If the line snaps like thread, it's crap. It's harder to break 8 pound ande than 30 pound shakespeare. Now that you have a good line, spool up and set your drag. When it says 8 pound test, this means that you can handle an eight pound dead weight (actually it's usually about ten to twelve). So, this means that you could effectively, with a good knot, wrap some good eight pound line around something and just pull a ten pound bass in. Luckily, your rod and your drag both help to lessen the pressure. Use your rod as a lever, and your drag as a let off.

Never reel through the drag. Bass don't run real long, so when they run, let 'em go. When they jump, bow, and give them slack. With good line, good technique, and a well set drag, you can go lighter with spinning gear, which means more bites. My philosophy on heavy line is, "You can't lose a fish until you hook one." Of course, different lines are for different purposes. You can't flip with eight pound mono, and it's hard to fish clear water with braid. You can't put 80 pound superline on a spinning combo, just as it's difficult to load a castaic with four pound test. Now that you have the right line, drag and fighting technique, you need a rod and reel.

For beggining, you probably want a spinning combo. Spinning is easier to cast, lighter, and easier to work. When you go to buy a reel, look at the side. IT willl have line test andcapacity ratings. If you load it with line that is too heavy, it will jump off the spool. If your line is too light, it will give you a birds nest that you won't believe. For baitcasting, look more at the line diamater. You can load a baitcaster set up for 12 pound mono with 40 pound braid with no problems if you have a good rod. Once you have your reel picked out, look at the rod.

If you intend to fill your reel with braid, make sure to get a heavier duty rod. If you match a light rod to a medium reel full of 50 pound braid, you will break the rod. Braid has no stretch, meaning it doesn't give. When you hook a log, tighten the drag down, reel up the slack, and do a set the hook motion, a cheap rod is liable to snap right in half. Even with a nicer rod, it is safer to wrap the line around some pliers and pull till your lure comes free. Hope some of this information will help somebody, and I apoligize for being slightly ADD in my writing style.
Old 07-13-06, 02:17 AM   #2
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When they jump, bow, and give them slack.

Well, maybe that's part of my problem. I was told that when they jump or shake, you try to keep the line as taunt as you can.

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 06:52 AM   #3
Christopherkeene9

Hey FLbassman, ANDE doesn't Overtest their line due to IGFA regulations. It can only overtest by like 2%.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 08:39 AM   #4
Tnbasser
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
When they jump, bow, and give them slack.

Well, maybe that's part of my problem. I was told that when they jump or shake, you try to keep the line as taunt as you can.

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.
Everything else was good advise, but I have to disagree here.Thats not your problem, vagabond. I have never heard of giving slack when fighting a fish. You let the line go slack and the hook is liable to fall out. I use spinning gear regularly, and have never given slack, and have never broke off one on a jump.If that works for you, cool, but it seems counter productive to me. JMO.

Last edited by Tnbasser; 07-13-06 at 10:00 AM.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 08:46 AM   #5
crankybait

i object. not all shakespear is junk. incase any of you see cajun redcast and notice it is by shakespear- no this is actually great line. probably the best shakespear line. ive head about giving it slack... the theory is that when it jumps, and lands on a tight line itll jerk the hole bigger and therefore make it easy to throw. however, when slakc is given it will fall but the hook wont jerk. then when it lands you take the slack abck up. dont need much slack, just lower the rod tip to like your knee... or something line that.
Old 07-13-06, 09:57 AM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cranky-he's referring to the cheap Shakespeare line that is like $1.98 for 1000 yds. that a lot of people new to fishing use because it is inexpensive.
Old 07-13-06, 09:59 AM   #7
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Cranky-he's referring to the cheap Shakespeare line that is like $1.98 for 1000 yds. that a lot of people new to fishing use because it is inexpensive.
Yeah. The stuff thats left over from making Stren. LOL.Had to get that in there.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 10:15 AM   #8
crankybait

yes i know he was directing it to them but i just wanted to make sure that if someone ever saw cajun line and noticed that it was shakespear would use it. in the post it makes all shakespear look bad. just wanted to clear that up.
Old 07-13-06, 11:48 AM   #9
JB

When Ya feel a bass comming up to jump, keep the line tight and stick your rod tip in the water..never give a bass slack.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 05:59 PM   #10
Christopherkeene9

Cajun red is only DISTRIBUTED sp? by shakespeare!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 06:12 PM   #11
crankybait

well whatever they are, theyre linked. i dont think some new guy would go and see that "oh, its only distributed, not made by shakespear!!!" it says shakespear on the box, all im concerned about.
Old 07-13-06, 06:39 PM   #12
mack

i tried that shakespeare supreme when i first started and im surprised to say it wasnt actually that bad...not alot of memory, alot of line, and pretty tough for line that was only two bucks...im not saying its awesome im saying ive tried other lines that i paid 5 bucks and it completley sucked...i dont use it anymore cause i like sunline and vanish now but it wasnt bad at all...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 06:51 PM   #13
zooker

ande dose not over test by more than 1% i know i had the same 10 pound spool tested 3 times in 4 years..

i have turned a few stren/trilene uses to ande.. i use 8 pound test as cranking line.. and 12 pound test for almost every thing else.. if you can get your grubby paws on the ande braid do so. i have four 1/2 pound spools of 12 pound test. a 3 pound spool of 8 pound test. a whole bulk 1 pound spool of 40 pound braid.-don't ask i aint sharing- i store them in a freezer yes right next to the red fish/shark fillets

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.