Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-07, 09:27 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Rod rebuilding question.

I don't know if anyone in here builds fishing rods, but I am looking for an answer about a rod I own. Is it possible to remove a rod blank from the handle and rehandle it? I have a spinning rod I would like to turn into a casting rod. I am guessing the blank would have to be cut off at the handle and a new handle installed. But I don't really know for sure if this is feasible.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 11:53 AM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Actually I am plannig to make a new cork handle for a spinning rod of mine, it should be too hard because it is an all cork handle and no real seat. in that case all you have to do is cut the cork off. easier said than done though.I don't know how yet, but I'll have to get the glue ued to hold the cork on off too. I guess you could to the same to a rod with a reel seat and just somehow get it off. I'll talk to my dad who used to build a lot of rods and see what he says. I'm still learnign how to build rods.

bb144
Old 09-23-07, 12:41 PM   #3
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

I replaced a handle and reel seat on a spinning rod once. I mainly cut, peeled, and ground off the old one, being as careful as I could not to nick or mar the rod blank. When you get down to the old epoxy, you can soften it with acetone and get most of it off.
You really shouldn't worry about getting it all off anyway. The new handle and reel seat will cover up any imperfections.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 05:59 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do custom rods as well as repair. Replacing a handle is time consuming. Best tool to use is a dremel tool and WORK SLOWLY. You do not want to compromise the blank by cutting into into it. Use a sanding roll to cut away a length of the cork and expose both ends of the seat. That way you can see the actual thickness of the seat. I then start running the roll length ways to get to the epoxy which holds the seat in place. MOST of the time you can then peel the remaining seat off, sometimesnot.
Old 09-25-07, 07:35 PM   #5
Rob Allen
BassFishin.Com Member

the whole project will hinge on whether or not you can remove the reel seat...

the cork or foam handle is easy enough to carve off with a sharp utility knife and all of the guides can also be removed with ease..

try some heat to see if you can get the reel seat off if you have a heat gun and some welding gloves that method works well... a butane torch also works but too much heat can melt the graphite so the heat gun is better... just heat it up and see if you can break the bond... if you can do that you'll have no problem rebuilding the rod...

if however you cannot get the reel seat off your best option is to cut the blank above the reel seat and find a piece that will snuggly fit inside the rod... However your rod will need to be reienforced or it will split out... a little fiberglass filement and epoxy will work well.. from there you can build it like you would any other rod
Rob Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 11:05 PM   #6
keithdog

Thanks guys for the info. I appreciate it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.