Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-10, 04:24 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Side Imaging Transducer Mounting

I plan on getting an SI unit this winter/early spring. I wonder if I mount the transducer on the right side of my boat , wont that mess up the left side , with the motor being there ? Or does it mostly look down and out ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 04:48 PM   #2
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

good question cmorg. i'd like to see a pic of one installed. is it going to be an issue if mounting on an aluminum rig?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 04:49 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Clint,

The best place to put your SI transducer is as close to the centerline of the boat as possible, and in the gap between your transom and lower unit.

All it really needs is an unobstructed straight line view out to either side. It doesn't even have to be all the way to the bottom of the boat. I run it that way, but most people do not, as they are worried about it getting hit by a log or something (They only use it at trolling speed, as it will be out of the water on plane). Like I said, I do keep it slightly lower than the boat, and mine will keep a 2D reading at 40 mph without breaking up.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 10-18-10 at 04:56 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:51 PM   #4
Bender

I can show you a photo of mine so you know where not to mount it on a Stratos. Actually it isn't too bad but there must be some turbulence from the center of the boat because mine's on the right side and the left side of the screen has white lines in the water column area.

I don't like the Yahoo SI group layout so I don't ever go there but I know they have a lot of mounting photos on all different boats.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 03:18 PM   #5
jasonfish320

When I installed mine, I was very careful to follow the instructions, which humminbird's installation guide is very detailed on where to install the ducer. It was actually very easy to install. I did notice that it reads the right hand a side a tad clearer than the left when in SI mode, especially when I try to expande the SI distance. The difference in clarity is very very minimal, basically a little darker on the left and I doubt many people would ever notice.

The only two things I didn't like about the 997c SI would be:

1) GLARE: This unit is very difficult to see when the sun is bright overhead..I think they make a screen protector that will help reduce it..get it!

2) High speed 2D sonar doesn't work well at high speeds.. I adjusted my ducer several times trying to get it in a good position so I could better pickup 2d at high speeds (over 40) and just could not get it to work..once I got up over 38-40 I totally lost signal to the bottom...not sure if others have had similar issues, but this has been my expierence
Old 10-22-10, 05:19 PM   #6
Embrey

Unless you have an in the hull transducer, you're pretty much out of luck when running at speed. I have mine to the right side and pretty high for the stumps and it reads fine left and right.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 05:41 PM   #7
3dkicker

Mine is on the left and it is up so that I don't hit anything. I get readings at low speed but not over 30 mph.

The signal is sent out and down so it shouldn't hit your boat or engine and disrupt anything. Having a bad connection to your battery will disrupt the picture to one side or the other.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.