Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-07, 05:06 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boating Help....

Hope someone could explain to a beginning how to work a trolling motor....I don't have much experiance with one....
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 05:09 PM   #2
BPACA

Also what are the steps to take when getting boat onto trailer and off....thanks!
Old 01-02-07, 05:45 PM   #3
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Those ae some awful broad questions there. Could you narrow the topic down for us?

What kind of trolling motor do you have? Is it hand or foot-controlled? What do you want to know about using it?

As far as getting the boat on and off of the trailer, can you be a bit more specific on what problems you are having?
Old 01-02-07, 06:42 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hand controlled are easy IMO, the foot controlled trolling moters take some time to get used to, but once you do, there aint no turnig back LOL. As for loading and unloading, if you are new to it, then go to a boat ramp and watch people. You'll learn a lot of what not to do, and what to do. Other than that I agree with Nitro, more info.

Lizards
Old 01-02-07, 06:51 PM   #5
zooker

when i unload -by my self- i use 50 feet of rope with 2 large snaps on each end. attach one to the boat one to the trailer. back up let the boat slid off pull forward unhook the rope tie the boat off to the dock floaters..

to load every boat trailer design has a sweet spot they are all differant.
back up the the sweet spot -on my trailer just as the rear guide post go under water. drive it on.. kill it get down on the trailer tounge tighten winch strap to the stop. step in truck bed jump over side back in truck pull out..

remove straps well inadvance to launching.nothing pisses me off more than a moron stopping 1/2 down the ramp to unstrap.
i have been blocked by this a couple of times at southmount ramp due to the launches design flaw..

now the winch unhooking is differant story i have launched out of some steep ramps. in this case i keep the winch strap on till the boat tires hit the water.. nothing sucks worst then dropping a glass boat on the cement ramp..seen it done a few times..

now parking
make dam sure you DO NOT block anybody from leaving there parking space. i will hook up to your trailer and move it for you the FIRST time.. the second time i aint nice about it..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 01-02-07 at 06:57 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 07:13 PM   #6
BPACA

I seen the boat come off someones trailer onto the cement...
Old 01-02-07, 07:19 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zooker don't even get me started on boat ramp follies. Its so funny to watch the offshore guys at the offshore ramp, we move a few hundred boats through the ramp a day w/o many people waiting (and if it is waiting its on people actual loading or unloading).

Now if we go to the recrational boat ramp on a river,ohhhh don't get me started, I got a bunch of stories. Many just racked up from this past Saturday!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 07:42 PM   #8
JB

bpaca,
what you'll probably discover when first using a footpedal is that it takes away most of your concentration from fishing, but after you get the hang of it, 4-8 hours will wear your back out until you figure how to rest your body properly against the butt seat...I have always stood while fishing,some like to sit, and its def. easier on the back.
Also, when you first start out, its very easy to go wayyyy to fast down the bank.
Usually a foot movement like the toes pointed all the way down will make it turn in one direction, while if you have the heel of the foot down, it goes the opposite direction...speed control is usually a dial on the side like 1-5 speeds, another option is having one or two batteries, most bass boats have two for the trolling and one for the big gas motor.
Make sure you own a charger and charge the battery after each use.. they tell you to run it all the way down, but if you go out everyday, you need a full charge.
Also, while landing a fish, keep the line away from a trolling motor shaft an prop. Some elect to pull the trolling motor out of the water if the fish is near it.
Your biggest obstacle in a foot pedal control is wear on the back, and getting used to operating it with the foot..
another caution, never have the boat trolling motor set at the fastest speed, and make a severe 90 degree turn with out telling the guy in the back you're turning, it will throw both of ya off the boat at a high speed.
Also, know how to postion it so you can back out of an area, or more importantly turn it away from the bank.
Your biggest test will be operating the trolling motor in a big wind, while trying to fish..it just takes time on the water to get it down.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 10:25 AM   #9
BPACA

Thanks guys.....some good tips here....keep em comming if you have any more....I know that I am going to have to get the hang of this...this is the next biggest step to move up in the fishing world...boat handlin.
Old 01-03-07, 07:18 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i will add one more thing to launching your boat and this will help you a lot. just don't get in a hurry. if you get there and there is a line of people just wait, either until they are all out of your way or you feel comfortable. you don't want to be a little nervous and then look up and see 15 trucks with boats waiting on you and then you feel rushed. if you just stay calm it will go so much better. oh yeah and don't forget your e-brake. you don't want to dunk your truck. when i unload by myself i will back down until the boat will float. then i get out, start the boat and release the winch. back it off the trailer and tie it to the dock, then i park my truck. it takes more time when unloading by yourself so be considerate of other people and let them go ahead if they want!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 11:42 PM   #11
NFA Fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Another thing, if the ramp is wide enough, drive down as far a possilbe and make a u-turn. This will save you from backing all the way down the ramp. Oh, and watch you don't get too close the edge of the ramp and drop the trailer off.
NFA Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.