Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-11, 07:00 PM   #26
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
BWAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA waht.....you gonna bring in ol ara back from the old folks home? we got another linebacker that's gonna do what cornelius did to oyu qb, remember that? knocked him out COLD!!! LOVE THIS!!!! smack talkn is the best with oyu guys!!!
Ahhhh sadly Ara won't be back, but Brian is going to fill those shoes nicely. I have a huge amount of respect for the Bear, but I cant seem to remember any other legendary coaches down there in Bama. Hmmm, lets see now. The Irish have had Rockne, Harper, Leahy, Parseghian, Layden, Devine, Holtz. And I believe their win loss combined is 477 wins - 91 losses. Not bad for sure, but I must admit, they did have the advantage of having players who could read a play book.
Old 07-03-11, 09:35 PM   #27
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I will hafta say that I have got Bama's back...ROLL TIDE!!!
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 09:55 PM   #28
bamabassman

billy, i ain't REALLY bragging, jsut messing wit ol ron. oyu know us BAMA boys ain't got ta go blabbing bout ourselves for real.

but jsut to keep this going a bit more.........hehehehe.

i was IN LEGION FEILD in 1977. my dad, brother and i went to the game. dad woke us up early that saturday and ask how much money we had (yes we talked about this today at pop's house). we pooled our money up and thought we had enough. and off we went. we would do this form time to time when bama was playing what was considered a easy win for the tide. we waited outside the gates where the scaplers were till after the first quarter. knowing we could buy tickest cheaper whent he tide got a nice lead and the scalpers were wanting to get whatever they could for the tickets. i think we paid bout $5 bucks each for them. nose bleed section end zone. when we went in we got to our seats. and after the frist half ended, most fans left,lol. so we went and sat RIGHT on the 50 yard line behind the tide. AWESUM!! we could hear everything the coaches said to the players...except for coach bryant. all he did was wave his hand and 10 people came RUNNING to him to se waht he wanted. hahaha. it was a great feeling to sit directly behind the team and see the players REAL close. for a kid my age then...there are no words to describe it. and if i remember correctly, coach bryant was sending in players left and right after he knew he had the win. IF i am correct there were like over 100 players on the team that day. it was hot too. sun in our faces all day. but i loved it.

now.keith.............have oyu seen all the staues lined up at bryant-denny? i can't give oyu the win loss record off the top of my head. but BAMA is on the top 5 in that department all time AND also in the winning percentage all time. IF i am correct, we also have jsut as many ALL-AMERICANS as the olden dome (not the golden...the OLDEN dome, hehehe).now as far as READING a playbook......ok....got me there buddy. hahahaha!!!

and smitty.i look aorund and talk to ol rin and see what he has to say about it. we got 2 yrs to think on it. sounds interesting for real.

and lebron.......ROLL TIDE BABY!!! thanky sir.
Old 07-03-11, 10:51 PM   #29
keithdog

Hahaha, well you make some good points John. And you know, I'll root for Bama any day of the week except for when they meet my Irish in a bowl. But I'm tellin ya, the days of Irish glory are gonne be back soon. hahaha @ "olden Dome", Thats pretty good.
Old 07-03-11, 11:57 PM   #30
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
By the way, what exactly is a "Hokie" other than a word that describes something that would cause one to shove a finger down their throat?

That's a Hokie taking a whizz. bbbbwwwwwaaaaaa
Old 07-04-11, 01:41 AM   #31
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First of all I've always heard that a Hokie is a castrated turkey.

Second of all: Crimson tide, a type of algae also known as Karenia brevis?

Third of all: Who cares about a game two years in the future. By then both teams could suck
Old 07-04-11, 08:57 AM   #32
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
By the way, what exactly is a "Hokie" other than a word that describes something that would cause one to shove a finger down their throat?
Still waiting to hear this one myself. I could understand the smack a week or two before the game, but I'm lost on this one. And I am still trying to figure out who da "Hokies" are?
Old 07-04-11, 10:15 AM   #33
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
"We" got lucky. I didn't know you played back then. That's cool.
Lash, dont be ridiculous. I can say we, I graduated from UA, I have every right to identify personally with any team or program associated with the University, going all the way back to the start of the University.

It would look odd to me if I referred to the University of Alabama as "they". There is no divide.
Old 07-04-11, 11:10 AM   #34
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Lash, dont be ridiculous. I can say we, I graduated from UA, I have every right to identify personally with any team or program associated with the University, going all the way back to the start of the University.

It would look odd to me if I referred to the University of Alabama as "they". There is no divide.
I think I pizzed in "WE" cornflakes. Try and have some fun and somebody gets offended.
Old 07-04-11, 12:01 PM   #35
bamabassman

OK....OK...LISTEN UP FOLKS... I WAS JSUT RAZZING OL RON A BIT. OK? NO HARM NO FOOUL NOW. all ya'll know i am a huge bama fan. in a FUN way. i don't get all worked up for real over games and such. if we win, we win and i am so happy. but if we (bama) lose, ok, maybe next time. i ain't one of those who go around crying and making up excuses. i made this thread just to get a laugh outta ron and let others laugh at US. so if ya'll can take a joke, fine...if not.......that's ok too.

now if it is ok, we'll drop it here. ron and i can wait 2 yrs to start it up again.

everbody cool?
Old 07-04-11, 12:27 PM   #36
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
I think I pizzed in "WE" cornflakes. Try and have some fun and somebody gets offended.
I'm not offended, I just think its stupid to pick at somebody for identifying with a school that they personally attended for 5 years and spent several thousands of dollars on.

I also have tried to help yall out in this thread by posting links to the actual history between VT and UA, but yall seem to be more concerned with smack talk,. Thats fine, but I don't do that. When I give my opinion on something football related, even if it differs widely from the national consensus, it is not offered as smack but an honest opinion.

For instance, I am of the opinion that Virginia Tech hit a plateau that they have been stuck at for several years, and might never get over as Beamer is aging and the conference VT plays in simply does not ready VT for competitive BCS NC type play. You might be offended by that assertion. You might think its just smack talk - but its not intended as such. All that I am trying to do is say where I think VT really is.

Last edited by WTL; 07-04-11 at 12:34 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 01:02 PM   #37
bcklash

Billy, this thread didn't have anything to do about the history of VT or AU football games. Just a little smack talk and a bet between friends about an upcoming game. And I don't give a ratsass about where you think VT is at right now or any other school for that matter.
Old 07-04-11, 01:44 PM   #38
WTL

Lash, you can take anything I say for whatever value you wish to assign it, and if its nothing, I don't care either. I told you where I am coming from and thats good enough for me.
Old 07-04-11, 04:02 PM   #39
Bob Smith

So, UH, What the heck is a "Hokie"?
Old 07-04-11, 04:33 PM   #40
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
So, UH, What the heck is a "Hokie"?
For those that don't know what a Hokie is....

"What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.
Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
Techs, Techs, V.P.I.
Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
Polytechs - Vir-gin-ia.
Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

There you go.
Old 07-04-11, 06:54 PM   #41
Bob Smith

Oh, Okey Dokey, Hokie!!
Old 07-05-11, 05:21 PM   #42
doc

How bout them Hogs
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 07:03 PM   #43
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
How bout them Hogs
And Horns!!
Old 07-06-11, 08:27 PM   #44
bamabassman

both HOGS and HORNS are best served from the SPIT. slow rasted over and open fire. mmmmm, b b q'd pork AND beef, it's what's for dinner. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.