Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-08, 11:25 PM   #101
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's my strong opinion that we as a country focus way to much of our attention and money on other countries . If half of what we spent yearly was turned around and spent on education, proper health care for the masses , and rebuilding run down neighborhoods people might see that their leaders cared about them enough to respect their own country . While I love what being an American means for myself and my children I also feel that if major changes in the way politicians are allowed run our country take place we will go under as a whole , and I am not just talking economically . We are supposed to be the richest country in the world but we have the highest rate of people being sick , ie cancer , and every day colds run rampant , while third world countries are not even sick a 1/4 as often as we are they may be starving but not sick . I'm sorry i started a rant I'm done now .

Jim
Old 09-24-08, 12:56 PM   #102
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
We are supposed to be the richest country in the world but we have the highest rate of people being sick , ie cancer , and every day colds run rampant , while third world countries are not even sick a 1/4 as often as we are they may be starving but not sick . I'm sorry i started a rant I'm done now .

Jim
JIm, we have highest "reported" number of sicknesses because we have the best health care and everyone uses the healthcare (either public or private). Therefore, we have better statistics than anyone. Many of those third world countries have no health care system at all and there are no statistics to report what level of sickness they have. During major catastrophies, the best they can do to count the number of dead is to "estimate" because there are no statistically sound methods or records to count.
The one thing we do have is the highest average age of survival (old age) than any place in the world, which I believe is now in the 70s somewhere (exact number not known?).
Old 09-24-08, 01:21 PM   #103
Bob Smith

Wow! I just went backa couple of pages and read some more of this thread!
Personally, banning any guns will never fly, nor is it the solution. "Guns don't kill people, People kill people". Make tougher laws and invoke the death penalty (shootfire! make public execution part of the process again to show the criminals how they could end up!). It really isn't that radical of an idea.

"Raising taxes? Last four years of Republican Bureacracy?" Sorry, but we only have one president and he's the Republican. Congress has had a majority of Democrats for the last four years, what have they done (wait a minute! Two of them are running for Pres and VP! Surely they can tell us what they have accomplished to "turn our economy around"? Nothing yet!). I don't see raising taxes as nothing but a punitive approach to all the hard working Americans like those of us posting on here. The "rich", in our translation, represent a minute fraction of our society, so the taxes from them would be infintessimal (sp?). Personally I believe the "bailouts" went too far as well (I know that's a deviation from my typically conservative stance, but I feel that way). The only way to control the debt and the economy is to cut spending, not spend more.

The war, it hurts me everytime I hear of a US soldier or citizen getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I also know that since 9/11 we have not had one single terrorist act committed on US soil or terroitory. I want to keep it that way! I believe, we should drill for oil, exploit Nuclear power safely and productively and explore viable alternative sources (I do not think that Ethanol is economically feasible to produce, and it is causing some serious side effects to the ground water runoff due to the amount of fertilizer being used).
In the meanwhile, we should be getting better breaks, for oil, from the Saudis and Iraq for protecting them from Saddam Hussein in the first Guld War and in the last. We are also all that's standing between them and Israel. I do not think for one minute that any single Islamic nation over there could stand up to Israel if attacked. So why are we having to take the prices they are laying on us?
Interesting stuff for sure, and I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers on here.
Old 09-24-08, 03:13 PM   #104
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Clever move by McCain suspending his campaign to work on economic bill. Makes him look like he's leading. Obama now will either be forced to continue campaigning, which will look like he is not dedicated to the Senate, or he will have to follow McCain's lead.

McCain aint bad at this politics stuff.
Old 09-24-08, 05:57 PM   #105
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote=Bob Smith;205074]Wow! I just went backa couple of pages and read some more of this thread!
Personally, banning any guns will never fly, nor is it the solution. "Guns don't kill people, People kill people". Make tougher laws and invoke the death penalty (shootfire! make public execution part of the process again to show the criminals how they could end up!). It really isn't that radical o""""""""""

yea i know that but them big wheels that dont mess with guns that i say has never even seen you ..says its the guns
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 10:32 PM   #106
bamabassman

bob i believe that you said it right pal. i agree with you on your post buddy.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 06:40 AM   #107
Titleman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Wow! I just went backa couple of pages and read some more of this thread!
Personally, banning any guns will never fly, nor is it the solution. "Guns don't kill people, People kill people". Make tougher laws and invoke the death penalty (shootfire! make public execution part of the process again to show the criminals how they could end up!). It really isn't that radical of an idea.

"Raising taxes? Last four years of Republican Bureacracy?" Sorry, but we only have one president and he's the Republican. Congress has had a majority of Democrats for the last four years, what have they done (wait a minute! Two of them are running for Pres and VP! Surely they can tell us what they have accomplished to "turn our economy around"? Nothing yet!). I don't see raising taxes as nothing but a punitive approach to all the hard working Americans like those of us posting on here. The "rich", in our translation, represent a minute fraction of our society, so the taxes from them would be infintessimal (sp?). Personally I believe the "bailouts" went too far as well (I know that's a deviation from my typically conservative stance, but I feel that way). The only way to control the debt and the economy is to cut spending, not spend more.

The war, it hurts me everytime I hear of a US soldier or citizen getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I also know that since 9/11 we have not had one single terrorist act committed on US soil or terroitory. I want to keep it that way! I believe, we should drill for oil, exploit Nuclear power safely and productively and explore viable alternative sources (I do not think that Ethanol is economically feasible to produce, and it is causing some serious side effects to the ground water runoff due to the amount of fertilizer being used).
In the meanwhile, we should be getting better breaks, for oil, from the Saudis and Iraq for protecting them from Saddam Hussein in the first Guld War and in the last. We are also all that's standing between them and Israel. I do not think for one minute that any single Islamic nation over there could stand up to Israel if attacked. So why are we having to take the prices they are laying on us?
Interesting stuff for sure, and I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers on here.

Couldn't have said it any better or more clearer than that. Thanks for the post
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 09:31 AM   #108
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Clever move by McCain suspending his campaign to work on economic bill. Makes him look like he's leading. Obama now will either be forced to continue campaigning, which will look like he is not dedicated to the Senate, or he will have to follow McCain's lead.

McCain aint bad at this politics stuff.
Yeah the old Maverick has been around the block a few times. Those who do not like McCain can atleast agree they know where he stands. Why because he has a proven track Record. Obama is just allot of promises & no real record. Trust me Trust me. They attack him for being like BUSH. What a load of BULL. No Republican has reached accross party lines more then McCain. What about the McCain,Fiengold bill. What about the McCain,Kerry bill. The republicans were ready to slay him over these bills. But he did what he thaught was right. His actions right now in the Campaign are just to shore up the REPUBLICAN vote. If he did'nt do the things he would'nt be where he is now. The reality is The Maverick will return after the Campaign. There is no finer bipartison canidaite than McCain.
Old 09-25-08, 04:37 PM   #109
Jim80

Quote:
JIm, we have highest "reported" number of sicknesses because we have the best health care and everyone uses the healthcare (either public or private). Therefore, we have better statistics than anyone. Many of those third world countries have no health care system at all and there are no statistics to report what level of sickness they have. During major catastrophies, the best they can do to count the number of dead is to "estimate" because there are no statistically sound methods or records to count.
The one thing we do have is the highest average age of survival (old age) than any place in the world, which I believe is now in the 70s somewhere (exact number not known?).

Healthcare in this country is joke in my eyes . I eat all natural and organic don't take medincine and stay away from doctors , when everybody else gets sick I might get the sniffles but I haven't had a cold in about six years .

Jim
Old 09-25-08, 05:07 PM   #110
Lilmoosecountry

Unv. Health Care, Public ownership of a Free market by taxpaers & Gun Control. Are all forms of Socilism not Democracy. I want no part of it. I want to share a letter. Dear Friends:

The financial meltdown the economists of the Austrian School predicted has arrived.

We are in this crisis because of an excess of artificially created credit at the hands of the Federal Reserve System. The solution being proposed? More artificial credit by the Federal Reserve. No liquidation of bad debt and malinvestment is to be allowed. By doing more of the same, we will only continue and intensify the distortions in our economy - all the capital misallocation, all the malinvestment - and prevent the market's attempt to re-establish rational pricing of houses and other assets.

Last night the president addressed the nation about the financial crisis. There is no point in going through his remarks line by line, since I'd only be repeating what I've been saying over and over - not just for the past several days, but for years and even decades.

Still, at least a few observations are necessary.

The president assures us that his administration "is working with Congress to address the root cause behind much of the instability in our markets." Care to take a guess at whether the Federal Reserve and its money creation spree were even mentioned?

We are told that "low interest rates" led to excessive borrowing, but we are not told how these low interest rates came about. They were a deliberate policy of the Federal Reserve. As always, artificially low interest rates distort the market. Entrepreneurs engage in malinvestments - investments that do not make sense in light of current resource availability, that occur in more temporally remote stages of the capital structure than the pattern of consumer demand can support, and that would not have been made at all if the interest rate had been permitted to tell the truth instead of being toyed with by the Fed.

Not a word about any of that, of course, because Americans might then discover how the great wise men in Washington caused this great debacle. Better to keep scapegoating the mortgage industry or "wildcat capitalism" (as if we actually have a pure free market!).

Speaking about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the president said: "Because these companies were chartered by Congress, many believed they were guaranteed by the federal government. This allowed them to borrow enormous sums of money, fuel the market for questionable investments, and put our financial system at risk."

Doesn't that prove the foolishness of chartering Fannie and Freddie in the first place? Doesn't that suggest that maybe, just maybe, government may have contributed to this mess? And of course, by bailing out Fannie and Freddie, hasn't the federal government shown that the "many" who "believed they were guaranteed by the federal government" were in fact correct?

Then come the scare tactics. If we don't give dictatorial powers to the Treasury Secretary "the stock market would drop even more, which would reduce the value of your retirement account. The value of your home could plummet." Left unsaid, naturally, is that with the bailout and all the money and credit that must be produced out of thin air to fund it, the value of your retirement account will drop anyway, because the value of the dollar will suffer a precipitous decline. As for home prices, they are obviously much too high, and supply and demand cannot equilibrate if government insists on propping them up.

It's the same destructive strategy that government tried during the Great Depression: prop up prices at all costs. The Depression went on for over a decade. On the other hand, when liquidation was allowed to occur in the equally devastating downturn of 1921, the economy recovered within less than a year.

The president also tells us that Senators McCain and Obama will join him at the White House today in order to figure out how to get the bipartisan bailout passed. The two senators would do their country much more good if they stayed on the campaign trail debating who the bigger celebrity is, or whatever it is that occupies their attention these days.

F.A. Hayek won the Nobel Prize for showing how central banks' manipulation of interest rates creates the boom-bust cycle with which we are sadly familiar. In 1932, in the depths of the Great Depression, he described the foolish policies being pursued in his day - and which are being proposed, just as destructively, in our own:

Instead of furthering the inevitable liquidation of the maladjustments brought about by the boom during the last three years, all conceivable means have been used to prevent that readjustment from taking place; and one of these means, which has been repeatedly tried though without success, from the earliest to the most recent stages of depression, has been this deliberate policy of credit expansion.

To combat the depression by a forced credit expansion is to attempt to cure the evil by the very means which brought it about; because we are suffering from a misdirection of production, we want to create further misdirection - a procedure that can only lead to a much more severe crisis as soon as the credit expansion comes to an end... It is probably to this experiment, together with the attempts to prevent liquidation once the crisis had come, that we owe the exceptional severity and duration of the depression.

The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history.

The very people who have spent the past several years assuring us that the economy is fundamentally sound, and who themselves foolishly cheered the extension of all these novel kinds of mortgages, are the ones who now claim to be the experts who will restore prosperity! Just how spectacularly wrong, how utterly without a clue, does someone have to be before his expert status is called into question?

Oh, and did you notice that the bailout is now being called a "rescue plan"? I guess "bailout" wasn't sitting too well with the American people.

The very people who with somber faces tell us of their deep concern for the spread of democracy around the world are the ones most insistent on forcing a bill through Congress that the American people overwhelmingly oppose. The very fact that some of you seem to think you're supposed to have a voice in all this actually seems to annoy them.

I continue to urge you to contact your representatives and give them a piece of your mind. I myself am doing everything I can to promote the correct point of view on the crisis. Be sure also to educate yourselves on these subjects - the Campaign for Liberty blog is an excellent place to start. Read the posts, ask questions in the comment section, and learn.

H.G. Wells once said that civilization was in a race between education and catastrophe. Let us learn the truth and spread it as far and wide as our circumstances allow. For the truth is the greatest weapon we have.

In liberty,

Ron Paul.
Old 09-25-08, 07:42 PM   #111
tnfisherman

i could find a link.... go to outdoorchannel.com,,, then go to videos, then to shooting and go down till you have found jim zumbo and watch that video it is what i have trying to say
Old 09-25-08, 08:33 PM   #112
WTL

Never thought I'd see someone referencing Hayek on bassfishin.com.
Old 09-26-08, 12:39 PM   #113
doc

"We are told that "low interest rates" led to excessive borrowing, but we are not told how these low interest rates came about. They were a deliberate policy of the Federal Reserve. As always, artificially low interest rates distort the market. Entrepreneurs engage in malinvestments - investments that do not make sense in light of current resource availability, that occur in more temporally remote stages of the capital structure than the pattern of consumer demand can support, and that would not have been made at all if the interest rate had been permitted to tell the truth instead of being toyed with by the Fed."

Um the bush administration pressured the fed to lower the rates afte 9/11 and kept the pressure on. Saying it was good for the economy
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 12:53 PM   #114
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"We are told that "low interest rates" led to excessive borrowing, but we are not told how these low interest rates came about. They were a deliberate policy of the Federal Reserve. As always, artificially low interest rates distort the market. Entrepreneurs engage in malinvestments - investments that do not make sense in light of current resource availability, that occur in more temporally remote stages of the capital structure than the pattern of consumer demand can support, and that would not have been made at all if the interest rate had been permitted to tell the truth instead of being toyed with by the Fed."

Um the bush administration pressured the fed to lower the rates afte 9/11 and kept the pressure on. Saying it was good for the economy
What's your point? The quote is from Ron Paul who isn't a Bush fan either. I don't think it was suggesting that the FR acted autonomously. What's interesting is that when we knew we were in the mess, interest rates were lowered even futher to placate Wallstreet and infuse cash into the 'system'. This under a democratically controlled congress. There's plenty of blame to go 'round on this one. And I honestly don't see how it's going to resolve itself short term. Lastly, the 700 Billion bailout will be a huge catastrophe if passed in its present form. Does anybody realize that this represents ONE HALF of the US Treasury's intake? 1/2 of what the Fed government gets to spend will be allocated to this bailout. Who do you think is going to foot the bill?? I haven't had a lot to cheer for in recent years, but for once the House Republicans are right on this one.

AND, what really gripes me is that a full 68% of the populus is AGAINST this bill. So, why does Congress, who are OUR elected representatives, pushing forward full steam ahead? They have obviously forgotten who they represent...or more likely, they don't care.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 11:47 PM   #115
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
i could find a link.... go to outdoorchannel.com,,, then go to videos, then to shooting and go down till you have found jim zumbo and watch that video it is what i have trying to say
Is this even english???

I agree though with what's been stated here, spending more on this economy that has already over spent is definently not the answer to fixing the problem.

I love how Obama's ad's say that he will increase oil company taxes but doesn't provide what that will cause. Feeding into the ingnorance of most americans i.e. That if we increase oil companies taxes, gas prices will go down. What a JOKE!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 11:53 PM   #116
tnfisherman

yea really if you raise there taxes there going to raise the gas prices to cover there butt
Old 09-26-08, 11:54 PM   #117
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
yea really if you raise there taxes there going to raise the gas prices to cover there butt
Come on guy, who's butt??
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 09:01 AM   #118
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
Come on guy, who's butt??
I believe he was referring to the gas companies, will raise the price to cover the additional tax burden. In truth that only increases the tax burden though (income tax). I don't believe that the Obama plan has any merit though. I agree that imposing more taxes to cover the "bailout", temporary or otherwise, is penalizing the American taxpayer for another Government blunder. I also believe that Sen. Barney Frank should go to jail for actually profiting from Fannie and Freddie. When the Senate oversite committee is making money from the very financial debacle that they are "overseeing" then it reeks of ethics violations!.
Old 09-27-08, 09:48 AM   #119
Jim80

Quote:
I believe he was referring to the gas companies, will raise the price to cover the additional tax burden. In truth that only increases the tax burden though (income tax). I don't believe that the Obama plan has any merit though. I agree that imposing more taxes to cover the "bailout", temporary or otherwise, is penalizing the American taxpayer for another Government blunder. I also believe that Sen. Barney Frank should go to jail for actually profiting from Fannie and Freddie. When the Senate oversite committee is making money from the very financial debacle that they are "overseeing" then it reeks of ethics violations!.
Thats just how our goverment works , the same happens with prescription medication , when senators and congressman find out the FDA will OK a new drug they buy stock in the companies the market it , in my eyes that insider trading but they run the country what can you do .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.