Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-09, 03:30 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Attention Parents (Yes a rant)

When your child is an idiot, you do not have the right to blame the media, the movies, the internet, or video games. Everyone of these items comes with an off switch that we can control.
Yes kids can be idiots. Yes, I was one of those kids who did some rather dumb things. But, my Grandfather would have never blamed the movie I watched. He would have simply told me to quit being stupid.

Case in point. This lady feels that YouTube is partially to blame for her 13 year old son lighting himself on fire?
http://www.wesh.com/cnn-news/20366679/detail.html

I myself feel that it is one of the only items that might suggest Darwin knew what he was talking about.

So, if your child is violent because of TV, then turn the TV off. Grand Theft Auto makes your son want to knock over liquor stores? Don't buy the friggen game.

It only takes a village to raise a child if the parents refuse to do so.

Okay, rant over.
Old 08-12-09, 03:38 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's always nice when the herd culls itself.
Old 08-12-09, 03:56 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

your avatar is highly appropiate for this....hahaha.
Old 08-12-09, 04:03 PM   #4
doc

I believe thats called Social Darwinism
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 04:56 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

anyone check out the "Is YouTube to Blame?" poll results? 98% (including me) say no.

BB
Old 08-12-09, 05:11 PM   #6
1/4 stick

Brings to mind a phrase my parents would use after the backhand and the, "Stop being stupid". That phrase being.... "If they jumped off a cliff, would you do it?" Then soon after I saw a hang glider and sure enough I wanted to jump off a cliff.
Old 08-12-09, 05:42 PM   #7
Jim80

people are always looking for anyone to blame other than themselves it's kinda sad really

jim
Old 08-12-09, 06:45 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Very good timing for the thread, cass.
Yesterday, my crew went to re-roof a section of a school I attended in 6th grade (1981).
The head custodian was up on the roof a few times. mostly to see how we were doin and BS us a little bit.
He's been there since like 76. When I was there, all the kids loved the guy. Always crackin jokes, always had a smile on his face. Whenever a teacher asked for volunteers to go give him a hand with something, everyone wanted to go do it.
Anyways, we got to talkin and he mentioned how much harder the job is becoming, due to the kids. Nowadays, some of the kids will basically tell him to get f****d right to his face, because they know there's nothing he can do about it. When it is mentioned to a parent, guess what their response is? "My son/daughter would never talk like that!".
It's not the kid's fault, it's the clueless adults who are to blame. Until it's proven that their kid is a dillhole, then they start pointin fingers at everyone but those who are actually to blame.
If I woulda pulled somethin like that back in the day, my dad woulda told the janitor, next time it happens, slap him across the mouth, then call me, cuz when I get home, I'm gettin slapped in the mouth again.
Old 08-12-09, 06:51 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Very good timing for the thread, cass.
Yesterday, my crew went to re-roof a section of a school I attended in 6th grade (1981).
The head custodian was up on the roof a few times. mostly to see how we were doin and BS us a little bit.
He's been there since like 76. When I was there, all the kids loved the guy. Always crackin jokes, always had a smile on his face. Whenever a teacher asked for volunteers to go give him a hand with something, everyone wanted to go do it.
Anyways, we got to talkin and he mentioned how much harder the job is becoming, due to the kids. Nowadays, some of the kids will basically tell him to get f****d right to his face, because they know there's nothing he can do about it. When it is mentioned to a parent, guess what their response is? "My son/daughter would never talk like that!".
It's not the kid's fault, it's the clueless adults who are to blame. Until it's proven that their kid is a dillhole, then they start pointin fingers at everyone but those who are actually to blame.
If I woulda pulled somethin like that back in the day, my dad woulda told the janitor, next time it happens, slap him across the mouth, then call me, cuz when I get home, I'm gettin slapped in the mouth again.
Cummon, Mallen...you know "violence is never the answer!" ROFL.

Those people are soooooo wrong. Many times when I was young, I would start to do something mischievous, and then think to myself "hmmm....I'm probably gonna get my a$$ caved in for doing this..." And then I STOPPED DOING IT. Go figure.

Of course, sometimes I didn't stop, as I had factored in the risk vs. my enjoyment of doing it. Sometimes I got caught, sometimes I didn't. It's all part of the game of being a kid and being a parent. Someday I will get to threaten my kids with intense physical harm too.
Old 08-12-09, 07:07 PM   #10
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

Those people are soooooo wrong. Many times when I was young, I would start to do something mischievous, and then think to myself "hmmm....I'm probably gonna get my a$$ caved in for doing this..." And then I STOPPED DOING IT. Go figure.

Of course, sometimes I didn't stop, as I had factored in the risk vs. my enjoyment of doing it. Sometimes I got caught, sometimes I didn't. It's all part of the game of being a kid and being a parent. Someday I will get to threaten my kids with intense physical harm too.

LMAO! I remember thinkin like that when I was a kid too. Boy, Dad would whoop my tail if he knew I did this.....ahhhh...I'll never get caught! LOL

How many bars of soap were you force fed when you were young? I tasted 'em from time to time. Nowadays, that would probably land the parent in jail
Old 08-12-09, 08:01 PM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
LMAO!
How many bars of soap were you force fed when you were young? I tasted 'em from time to time. Nowadays, that would probably land the parent in jail

that's part of the problem these days parents can't really put the fear of god into a child without DCf getting called .

Jim
Old 08-12-09, 08:06 PM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
that's part of the problem these days parents can't really put the fear of god into a child without DCf getting called .

Jim
Absolutely right. But hey, time-outs work really great right? Right?
Old 08-12-09, 10:11 PM   #13
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

haha , well put. I got my azz whooped in gradeschool. The last year they were allowed to do it too....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 10:16 PM   #14
bcklash

Quote:
LMAO! I remember thinkin like that when I was a kid too. Boy, Dad would whoop my tail if he knew I did this.....ahhhh...I'll never get caught! LOL

Mallen, I had to eat soap from to time. I also got my tail tore up a time or two, but not has many has I should have. I would end up in jail in todays world if I had younger kids, because I believe in those tail whippings.
Old 08-12-09, 10:58 PM   #15
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Mallen, I had to eat soap from to time. I also got my tail tore up a time or two, but not has many has I should have. I would end up in jail in todays world if I had younger kids, because I believe in those tail whippings.
A time or two? hehehe...

I think my father threw in extra licks just for the stuff he didn't catch me doing. I'd still rather my old man get me rather than Mama though. He hit harder, but when he was done, he was done. Mama would whip me, go away and start thinking and get mad all over again and come back for more. lol
Old 08-12-09, 11:35 PM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Most people are looking for that easy buck to blame personal stupidity on some one else. That's another reason to live in a small town. I saw this older lady in Wal-Mart the other day. The children were walking beside the buggy with one hand attached. I thought, man these are some good kids. Then I saw one act up, uh oh. She removed this stick from her buggy and commensed to whoppin' that hiney. I saw them a few other times that visit, and they never let hand off of that buggy again. You think this would have passed in a metro area? I think there would have been cops their before you could have said "Anbesol". Like some others said, the parent's hands are tied seems like. But also, different kids respond better to different punishment. My oldest responds well to the whippins, but the middle one not so much, he is tough as nails. He hates the corner or the chair though, like a timeout. And I will discipline mine in public, I will just take my chances of being picked up opposed to my kids getting picked up later on.
***1/4stick, my Mom used to tell me she got a whippin every Friday at 5 for GP (General Purpose). Her momma told her it was for everything she did or thought about doing and didn't get caught.
Old 08-13-09, 12:05 AM   #17
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
A time or two? hehehe...

I think my father threw in extra licks just for the stuff he didn't catch me doing. I'd still rather my old man get me rather than Mama though. He hit harder, but when he was done, he was done. Mama would whip me, go away and start thinking and get mad all over again and come back for more. lol
My mom would whoop us and then sit down cry. Daddy was the one that would get mad all over again. I tried running from him one time, that was painful. Didn't do that no mo.
Old 08-13-09, 04:52 AM   #18
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
My mom would whoop us and then sit down cry. Daddy was the one that would get mad all over again. I tried running from him one time, that was painful. Didn't do that no mo.
lol, I saw my older brother try to throw a punch at my old man when he was 17 and pop was about to whip him. I thought I was finally going to get my own room there for a few minutes. But my brother lived, was dizzy for awhile though. He never tried it again, and it was all the info I needed to know better.
Old 08-13-09, 07:44 AM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

"and it was all the info I needed to know better." Sounds like Ron White, "I don't know how many it would have took to whoop my a@@, but I knew how many they planned to use. It was pretty useful information."
Old 08-13-09, 08:01 AM   #20
crankybait

Well we all know that grounding kids is obviously the answer... I mean god forbid some kid does something bad and ends up locked in his room with nothing to do for the day! besides go on the laptop and watch TV and all that other nice stuff in their rooms...
Old 08-13-09, 10:26 AM   #21
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
lol, I saw my older brother try to throw a punch at my old man when he was 17 and pop was about to whip him. I thought I was finally going to get my own room there for a few minutes. But my brother lived, was dizzy for awhile though. He never tried it again, and it was all the info I needed to know better.
when i was a teenager,there were times where i almost made that mistake....bow up to my dad....all he said was ''if plan on backing that up,your gonna get hurt''......and i was smart enough to walk away.
yea we got whooped quite often as kids.....if i had to go back and do it all over again...i would hide some ''spanking'' fetish magazines around my room for my parents to find...that way,if i got in trouble,they wouldnt whoop me in fear that i would enjoy it
Old 08-13-09, 10:36 AM   #22
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Well we all know that grounding kids is obviously the answer... I mean god forbid some kid does something bad and ends up locked in his room with nothing to do for the day! besides go on the laptop and watch TV and all that other nice stuff in their rooms...

Cranky,
I will say that sometimes, grounding is the appropriate punishment. You know punishment fitting the crime.

I implement the no electricity rule when grounding my kids. If it requires any form of power at all, then you don't get to use it. My middle son tried to test me on this once. He thought I would not catch him using some handheld device, (PSP I think). Fortunately for me, I am a master of taking electronic devices apart. He got the parts back, not enough to make it work, but enough so he can remember what he is missing.
Old 08-13-09, 11:18 AM   #23
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Cranky,
I will say that sometimes, grounding is the appropriate punishment. You know punishment fitting the crime.

I implement the no electricity rule when grounding my kids. If it requires any form of power at all, then you don't get to use it. My middle son tried to test me on this once. He thought I would not catch him using some handheld device, (PSP I think). Fortunately for me, I am a master of taking electronic devices apart. He got the parts back, not enough to make it work, but enough so he can remember what he is missing.
Man you're good... My friend pool hopped into someones pool, accidentally ripped the liner, got caught and his parents had to pay to replace the liner (big money). His punishment? play XBox 360, PS3, and go on his macbook lite all day for a week
Old 08-13-09, 02:46 PM   #24
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Man you're good... My friend pool hopped into someones pool, accidentally ripped the liner, got caught and his parents had to pay to replace the liner (big money). His punishment? play XBox 360, PS3, and go on his macbook lite all day for a week
Replacing liners is big money, but not as hard as you would think. There are just a few tricks involved.

Liners arent cheap in their own right though. The machines that make em are highly calibrated and purty sensitive.
Old 08-13-09, 05:47 PM   #25
MallenManson

The worst was when I was made to go cut the switch that my tail was gonna be whooped with. That's rough

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.