Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-10, 02:52 PM   #1
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default As the season winds down. Whats next?

Its getting cold up here! I'm in the process of getting the boat ready for winter, getting ready for Deer hunting camp which starts here the week of the 15th of November. I will still do some shore pounding around the dams when weather permits. How many of you ice fish? Do our members from the south fish year around? I personally don't ice fish anymore. I had a ice shack some years ago that more resembled a cabin, complete with heat. I got tired of dragging it out on the ice and dragging it off before it sank. I use the winter to work on my fishing and hunting gear. I perform all the maintenance and get things ready for another season. I also shop for new tackle for next year. I think it would be interesting to hear how other members spend the winter months.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 05:29 PM   #2
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Pretty much the same as you...except I dont hunt...But I still fish until theres ice on the water.
Old 10-23-10, 08:12 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My off season is pretty much the same as yours. I gave up hunting season for a few reasons, especially because this bad knee doesn't take it to well anymore. Plus a lack of places to go and the difficulties involved in securing permission to hunt on farms anymore. I'll be getting my gear back in order, sorted out, ect.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:10 PM   #4
bassinbob

When the water gets hard I reorganize everything. Put new line on the reels that need it and clean the reels. Go over last season and what worked and what didn't. Look for new baits. Try to fight off the monkey. Gave up hunting a few years back. Funny though every year I feel like i want to go buck hunting but never do.
Old 10-23-10, 11:04 PM   #5
bamabassman

You northern brothers need to MOVE south for the winter, hahhaha. I will probably stop in dec. or nov. Whenever the first freeze comes in. Might get out a few times inbetween though. That is IF it is warm enough, haha. Then start back in march.
Old 10-24-10, 10:49 PM   #6
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
How many of you ice fish? Do our members from the south fish year around? I personally don't ice fish anymore. I had a ice shack some years ago that more resembled a cabin, complete with heat. I got tired of dragging it out on the ice and dragging it off before it sank.Dave
I've always wanted to try ice fishing, but it never gets anywhere near cold enough for sustained periods around here. It's very unusual to have ice more than 2" thick on ponds and small lakes. Almost every winter we have cases of drowning when someone breaks through the ice. Your ice shack sounds like what they used in the 'Grumpy Old Men" movies -- all the comforts of home.

I don't fish year round anymore, but when I was younger, I fished in every month but December. Can't say I caught much in Jan or Feb however. We sometimes get what old folks called the 'mid-winter thaw' in late Jan or early Feb. Temps might rise into the upper 60's for a couple days, and it's a good time for finesse techniques.

I don't hunt much anymore either. As KeithDog said, "a lack of good places to go and the difficulties involved in securing permission to hunt on farms anymore." So, that leaves plenty of time for rearranging my fishing gear and sitting by the fire thinking about fishing.

/
Old 10-25-10, 07:08 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The main thing I do once winter sets in and there's ice on the water is fight the baitmonkey.

I also use winter to clean my reels, organize gear (and reorganize, and reorganize), and my dad and I do ice fish when the ice is thick enough.

BB
Old 10-25-10, 12:58 PM   #8
dave0943

It's a shame that it's getting harder in certain areas of the country to secure hunting land I've got 10 acres right next to hundreds of acres of state land.Hunting has been a tradition with my sons and I and I'm thankful to get the time with them as they all have busy lives.. I'm perfectly intent on sitting in my blind and taking a nap. I'm long past the time that I NEED to take a deer. I will only shoot a Big buck and let those under 8 points live to grow. Last year I did take a 9 pointer that was 195 pounds. I thought it actually had more points than it did. If none of us take a big enough buck we will take a dry older doe to make jerky and sausage.
Yes, my hunting shack was very similar to those in grumpy Old Men. Some of the guys up North have shacks that rival houses. We do get up to 2' or more of ice. It is a hassle to drag them out and off. There have been shacks fall through the ice late in the season.
Some guys push the luck. Not me, I took mine off as soon as I had any sign of warming.
You boys down south are very luck to have some what of a longer season. My wife and I have talked of retiring down in a warm state. I'd really miss the snow though.
This winter I may try my hand at making jigs and maybe plastics. I've been looking at molds in the Barlow catalog.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 01:22 PM   #9
CMorg

I strip my reels of line , clean and lube them. Clean my rods , and line guides and check for any defects. This year I plan on sending off my reels for the highspeed bearing flush and lube so someone else will be cleaning my reels. I also reorganize my tackle , and figure out what all I want to keep and what all I can do without , otherwise my fishing rooms starts to resemble a house you would see on the show hoarders. Right now my boat is getting winterized , lower unit oil changed , new bearings in the trailer and bearing buddies installed. I need to add another battery for my trolling motor this year as well as install my new trolling motor....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:39 PM   #10
Old Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
My off season is pretty much the same as yours. I gave up hunting season for a few reasons, especially because this bad knee doesn't take it to well anymore. Plus a lack of places to go and the difficulties involved in securing permission to hunt on farms anymore. I'll be getting my gear back in order, sorted out, ect.
You and I have a lot in common Keith. My left knee is my weak link as well. Your other listed problems sound very similar too.
Old 10-26-10, 01:28 AM   #11
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If its froze here... I drive south to fish.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.