Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-10, 10:18 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Are barbs essential for bass fishing?

I don't know the answer to this, and I don't remember this topic ever coming up...

Whereas we have some members who are prone to hooking themselves, and whereas it aids in catch and release, I was wondering if anyone wanted to discuss the topic of bending barbs down for those reasons. I know it is done often in some other areas of fishing, what about bass?
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 10:32 PM   #2
nofearengineer

I am very tolerant of those who choose to bend their barbs down, or cut them off, etc. Oddly enough, a lot of them are not very tolerant of my use of them. I kind of get the feeling they would ban them if they ever got the chance. At that point, I would have to start filling my shotgun with barbless hooks, so they'd be easy to remove from their liberal butts.
Old 05-24-10, 10:33 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have stated doing that on all of my finesse techniques. I have found that I have too many fish swallow the hook when drop shotting or split shotting.
We have a couple of lakes here that require it. For those lakes, I have my bigger "barbless" hooks in a seperate container.
As far as essential, I think that most would agree that it is not essential, but in a tourney, I don't want to take that chance on jigs, spinner baits, and cranks. I have enough issues with fish comming unbuttoned in those situations
Old 05-24-10, 11:23 PM   #4
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I have stated doing that on all of my finesse techniques. I have found that I have too many fish swallow the hook when drop shotting or split shotting.
We have a couple of lakes here that require it. For those lakes, I have my bigger "barbless" hooks in a seperate container.
As far as essential, I think that most would agree that it is not essential, but in a tourney, I don't want to take that chance on jigs, spinner baits, and cranks. I have enough issues with fish comming unbuttoned in those situations
If I had to shave the barbs off of my spook i would probably just go to jail...
Old 05-25-10, 01:23 AM   #5
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
i agree the barbs on single worm hooks are not really needed just pressure keeps them hooked up. how ever spinnerbaits buzzbaits and crankbaits i would REFUSE to use barbless..

zooker
Old 05-25-10, 07:24 AM   #6
brushhog

If i read the question properly, you want to know if i would bend down barbs to avoid hooking myself or aiding in catch and release? For myself, even no I would not. For my children, especially the younger ones i do, to avoid exactly what you stated.
Old 05-25-10, 07:43 AM   #7
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've had good success on single hooks, bending the barb down gently, and not flattening out the hump at the base of the barb....aiding both in the hook penetration and helping in keeping the hook in the fish while fighting as well as making it much easier in hook removal. It's simply insuring the edge of the pliars doesn't ride up on the hump when mashing the barb done.....doesn't take much pressure at all. Makes a smaller opening when the hook point enters the fish as well.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 09:19 AM   #8
Jrob78

I've never had any reason to bend down barbs and fortunately I live in a state that doesn't get too involved in how I fish (yet). I can see where it would be useful in certain soft plastic techniques where deep hooking is more likely. Like Zooker said, for cranks, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and the like, I wouldn't do it.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 09:40 AM   #9
tarpon120

I have had an experience with no barb while fishing a texas rig worm, unknowing to me a buddy of mine removed the barb while we were firshing a small pond at our office which was well stocked. The only problem I had was once I got the fish to the bank, any reduction of tension I would loose the fish, much to his amusement.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 06:38 PM   #10
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I lose to many fish as it is. I def don't want to remove the barb.
Old 05-25-10, 11:25 PM   #11
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish stripers all winter, and mash down the barbs on the jighead I use on the plastics I use for them. A week or two back, I was at Champlain, bass fishing, and wanted to throw a swim bait on a bit heavier jighead. Didn't think about it, but the one I pulled out had a mashed down barb. Caught a bunch of largemouth on it, and never lost one. Made me wonder why I don't do it on all the jigheads I use with soft plastics for LM & SM
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 11:57 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Essential? I seriously doubt it. Do they help land fish? Absolutely.
Old 05-26-10, 08:15 AM   #13
Bassboss

I do the same thing as cass. When I'm fishing with finesse stuff (other than shaky heading), and I'm even starting to do it senkos, because they seem to swallow the hooks so dadgum much. Also it's makes for easier penetration.

and nofear, I'm sure they have more important things to worry about.
Old 05-28-10, 12:01 PM   #14
Jim80

I have a couple spinnerbaits were the barbs are bent down because it was needed to unhook a toothy critter . That being said I still use trailer hooks on them so there is no loss in the ability to stay hooked up . Have not tried barb less worm hooks but would give them a shot if i had the chance .

jim
Old 06-01-10, 06:21 PM   #15
keithdog

I'm wondering what bamabassman would have to say about all this. Actually I can see the benefits of going barbless, but if your fishing for cash or to put a meal on the table I'd want barbs.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:07 PM   #16
WTL

In general I dont bend them down, but I cant help but think, in fishing where technology is king (x point and chemically sharpened hooks for instance), why have barbs not been improved?

What if, instead of a barb, there was just a rough area on the backside of the point - one that with human manipulation could be traversed, but would provide resistance to the wild shaking a fish does?
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 02:15 PM   #17
Snake2715

I am sure some of the folks around here have seen them but I bought some nice barbless treble hooks at a fishing show a couple of years back. They have a nice hump on them, but are barbless.

I figure that could also translate into a single large gap hook as well, but have not seen those before.

I used to bend them down and did lose a few more fish. It just depends on what is happening and how the bite has been. If I find they are swallowing due to me not realizing they are on, then I try to bend them down. If not I leave them be.
Old 06-11-10, 11:03 AM   #18
Justin2729

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
haha i loved that comment!
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 03:03 PM   #19
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

nah I lose enough as it is so I need every edge possible... good thing I live in a state that sees that as a useless practice and doesn't have the nut jobs claiming we need to save the poor little fishies. If they swallow it, it doesn't matter if it has barbs or not, it is deep and less likely to come out without hurting the fish anyways.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 01:29 PM   #20
dave0943

There has been talk of Michigan requiring barb less hooks when fishing out of season, before and after the waters open for keeping the catch. There are always rumors about our hunting and fishing rules here in Upper MI. Most of the time, when rumors are heard enough,they do become law within a few years. Do any hook companies sell barb-less Bass hooks? I have mixed feelings on the subject. I guess I can put up with it during off season, but kind off skeptical during open waters, especially when fishing tournaments. Man that would worry me!
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.