Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-12, 09:05 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Are ya'll ready for some football?!?!?

yes boys and girls (girls meaning ron, adam, mallen, smitty, don, daniel..well the REST of oyu non bama folk, BWAAHAHAHAHA!!) it is time for another season of COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

and in one poll at least ALABAMA is ranked #2 in the nation. now i don't get caught up in the rankings before the first 3 games of the season. but we are there now so.....

now, let's hear form all of ya'll who and what YOUR thoughts are on YOUR TEAM this year. i have heard form my cell friends some of their thoughts and i agree with them really. but if oyu follow college football and have a team, give us oyur thoughts on how oyu think the season will go for them.

i am HOPING for another crystal ball for my tide this year. but we have a LOT of holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball. i ain't worried about the offense too much. o-line is returning all but 1 starter, so i think we'll be fine there. our qb SHOULD be on top of his game this year. running backs...we got em, 4 of em that are starters any where else they were to go. recievers...that is where we MAY be in some trouble. they ain't tested as of yet. some new ones in that position.

ok, do i think we'll win it all agian this year? ain't gonna say, too many good teams to play first. but IF we win against mich and arkansas....we have a VERY good chance of doing so.

now ya'lls turn. tell what oyu think. and look, no bashing on each others teams this time ok? this is all in good fun. and i think the WORLD of every team for real. just tha ti am a bama fan through and through after that. i LOVE college football. more than the pros.

so give oyur thoughts folks. i am waiting. who will win it all in oyur opion? USC? BAMA?LSU? ARKANSAS? MICH? or someone who could be the DARKHORSE this year? maybe oregon? oregon state? give...

and be nice above all folks. sportsmanship goes far.
Old 08-29-12, 09:11 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well not that sports oriented but MU-Marshall University
Not as small as you think
National Championships:

NCAA Division I-AA 1992
NCAA Division I-AA 1996

Bowl Game Victories:

Motor City Bowl - 1998
Motor City Bowl - 1999
Motor City Bowl - 2000
GMAC Bowl - 2001
GMAC Bowl - 2002
Little Caesars
Pizza Bowl - 2009

Conference Championships:

W.Va. Athletic Conference 1925
W.Va. Athletic Conference 1928
W.Va. Athletic Conference 1931
Buckeye Conference 1937
MAC 1997
MAC 1998
MAC 1999
MAC 2000
MAC 2002
-we are marshall

Last edited by lilmule; 08-29-12 at 09:17 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 09:38 PM   #3
WTL

Up until last week, I thought Tennessee had a real chance to surprise some people. I guess they still do, more so, after having cut a cancer from the program.

Looking across the spectrum, I see so many people discuss talent. Its overrated. Bama has talent, true. So does OU. So does LSU, USC and a few others.

I think maturity more often makes the difference. Which brings me to the loser programs. Used to be, down here, a guy named leanard had a show and a magazine called Leonards Losers, where he would in his folksy way tell you who would lose each game the following week.

Here are losing teams. And I dont mean it as trying to be offensive, I mean it in terms of teams that have losers cultures that they need to replace in order to get their full potential:

GEORGIA
VIRGINIA TECH
SOUTH CAROLINA
OLE MISS
ARKANSAS
NOTRE DAME
OKLAHOMA

Now why am I singling these schools out? Its not because they lack talent, some of them have enough talent to win it all. And they work hard, most of the time. But they lack something. What is it? I'm not sure, but I have seen weakness in all of these teams, where they will make you think they are going to be fine, and then they just blow it. Its culture.

So instead of crowing about Bama, or telling you who is great, I thought I would say that.
Old 08-29-12, 10:52 PM   #4
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Well not that sports oriented but MU-Marshall University
Not as small as you think
National Championships:

NCAA Division I-AA 1992
NCAA Division I-AA 1996
-we are marshall
Atheletic Director I worked with played on the '69 team as a freshman. He did not play in '70. Lucky man. Bad news though as he passed away last week. He was used in the making of the movie. Good guy to work with.

Back to football. Got to see how UMass does since they moved up to the BCS this year. They will also be playing their games in Foxboro this year.....big time football!! Playing Michigan again this year. Beat them a few years ago...unfortunately everyone else did.
James Madison Univ. should do well this year. They have a good group of transfers so we'll see if they make a run.

Now for predictions. Watch out for South Carolina this year. They have a very good running back.
The west coast USC is pretty good too. Haven't spent too much time looking at PAC 20 or is that 25?
Big 10/12/14/16 should be interesting too......
Old 08-30-12, 06:36 PM   #5
joedog

If based on schedule...I'm thinking Wi. may be a team to watch this year.
http://www.rantsports.com/wisconsin-...ball-schedule/

Oh ya, they have some talent coming back and a new (Wilson )
Who incidently beat out O'Brien for the starting job with Seattle I believe.

And this is what the bookies think...3 of them anyways.
http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/2...pionship-odds/

Now GT and Bookmaker may get my bet but I like the way Sportsbet thinks.
The Trojans may truely surprise folks this year. They got huge talent and a huge drive after thier 2 year suspension.

Last edited by joedog; 08-30-12 at 06:43 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 07:18 PM   #6
nobass

i really do not know a lot of talent out there i do think vandy has a chance to be a spoiler team this year. teams have a tendency to underestimate them. you wil have to play mistake free football to win. i would like to see the sec win it all, my favorite theam is still penn state but we all know their chances of ever being a dominate force again
Old 08-30-12, 07:54 PM   #7
WTL

Pity Penn State. The institution, with its students and fans and players did not deserve that.

Add Clemson to my list of underacheivers. Hugely talented team that always screws up a few games. Who knows why.
Old 08-30-12, 09:42 PM   #8
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Roll Tide Bamabassman! I don't know if hubby will be able to stand himself until kickoff on Saturday. We are hoping for another exceptional season.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 08:06 AM   #9
bamabassman

well...i wasn't impressed with south carolina last night. vandy on the other hand...
Old 08-31-12, 10:23 AM   #10
keithdog

It's been a long haul for us Irish fans since coach Holtz. I grew up expecting National Championships and ND was always a threat to take it all. Not so since Holtz. But I have a good feeling the tide is turning. Coach Kelly this year has many of his own recruits available to him that will fit well in his program. The offensive line has all but one starter returning, and the new QB is very fast and can really throw a ball. He finished high school as the nations 6th all time prep QB's in passing yards. They have 2 more QB's who were highly recruited out of high school. My only worry is the pass defense. Thats where the Irish have struggled giving up big plays in recent years, and they just lost their best CB for the year due to injury. And playing 10 teams this year that played in bowl games last year causes me concern when it comes to injuries. But with the run and gun offense Kelly likes to use comming to fruition, they should have a better year. Turn overs killed the Irish last year. Had it not been for turnovers at key moments, the Irish probably would have only lost 2 games. I know they have been working hard on that aspect of the game. I look for the Irish to actually be in a position to challenge for the National Championship in the 2013 season. But this year, I am looking for USC to take it all. And the Tide will be right there too. Should be an interresting year for sure.
Old 08-31-12, 02:36 PM   #11
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well...i wasn't impressed with south carolina last night. vandy on the other hand...
A win is a win......
Old 08-31-12, 08:59 PM   #12
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
It's been a long haul for us Irish fans since coach Holtz. I grew up expecting National Championships and ND was always a threat to take it all. Not so since Holtz. But I have a good feeling the tide is turning. Coach Kelly this year has many of his own recruits available to him that will fit well in his program. The offensive line has all but one starter returning, and the new QB is very fast and can really throw a ball. He finished high school as the nations 6th all time prep QB's in passing yards. They have 2 more QB's who were highly recruited out of high school. My only worry is the pass defense. Thats where the Irish have struggled giving up big plays in recent years, and they just lost their best CB for the year due to injury. And playing 10 teams this year that played in bowl games last year causes me concern when it comes to injuries. But with the run and gun offense Kelly likes to use comming to fruition, they should have a better year. Turn overs killed the Irish last year. Had it not been for turnovers at key moments, the Irish probably would have only lost 2 games. I know they have been working hard on that aspect of the game. I look for the Irish to actually be in a position to challenge for the National Championship in the 2013 season. But this year, I am looking for USC to take it all. And the Tide will be right there too. Should be an interresting year for sure.

I hope Notre Dame does turn it around, I want them to be good. Same for Tennessee. Its not that I like all their fans or boosters, but there is a history there. Its like having action movies without russians... what if nobody could ever make another action movie that has russian bad guys? That is what college football is like without Notre Dame and Tennessee.
Old 08-31-12, 10:31 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I hope Notre Dame does turn it around, I want them to be good. Same for Tennessee. Its not that I like all their fans or boosters, but there is a history there. Its like having action movies without russians... what if nobody could ever make another action movie that has russian bad guys? That is what college football is like without Notre Dame and Tennessee.
I couldn't agree more Billy. There are certain schools that have a rich winning tradition and the sport without that lacks something. It would be like if the Yankees in baseball suddenly became mediocre for 20 years. Baseball would be all the worse for it. And I'm a Cardinals fan.
Old 09-01-12, 12:24 PM   #14
aikenyounggun

As a Clemson freshman this year, and my brother being a year ahead, we are bleeding orange. Heading down to ATL as I type to see the game.

Clemson has a lot of talent this year, has some obvious weak spots. The first couple games will show how the new defensive coordinator has affected things. Forgot about the bowl game last year, Clemson was spotty on defense all year, but dominated VT (and a great RB and QB) twice. But we will see. And the next is the offensive line, had lots of injuries there last year. Clemson has a pre-season all American at center, but the rest will show in time.

Now on to the strengths, our offense will be good.... Very good. Especially if everyone stays healthy. Im predicting Tajh Boyd has a amazing season, heisman worthy possibly, if they can protect him. Sammy Watkins is out for the first two games, but Hopkins is a great receiver and we have depth at that position.

But hard to tell, just want to see them play. All this talk doesn't matter, lets see what happens on the field.

And Vandy always plays Carolina tough, so that game wasn't a surprise. But the rivalry this year could have huge implications come thanksgiving. Camping for some front row tickets will definitely happen this year.
Old 09-01-12, 01:34 PM   #15
keithdog

I just finished watching the Irish pretty much destroy Navy. Here is my take. They should have destroyed Navy, but in past recent years they have not, so nice to see it. Good points...The Irish QB possition is solid. The receiving corp is ok. A couple dropped passes that should have been easy receptions. But first game, thats to be expected with any team. The offensive line is dominating and the Irish backfield running game is strong and fast. They will rack up a lot of yards and points this year. The kicking game looked ok but not great so far. A badly missed extra point and botched snap on a field goal showed work to be done there. What is going to kill the Irish this year from what I saw is pass defense, again. They HAVE to gaurd tighter to the recievers. The Navy recievers were almost always open. Against a better team with a strong passing game, the Irish could be giving up way to many big plays.
Old 09-01-12, 07:50 PM   #16
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ROLL TIDE. It is almost kickoff time!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 09:46 AM   #17
keithdog

Well, after yesterdays results, I'd have to put Alabama in the driver seat to take it all. What they did to Michigan should be a wake up call to every team in the NCAA. I realize Michigan was hampered by missing a couple key players, but Bama could be missing half a dozen players and still be a powerhouse. Robinson was a non issue, and he is a huge part of their offense. Why he wasn't running with the ball more before getting banged up is beyond me. His speed and running ability was a main concern for the Tide. And he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn throughout the game, with a couple exceptions. The first 2 minutes of the game I thought, wow, this is gonna be a great game. From there on it was pure domination. I'd hate to be the team who plays Michigan next week. They are going want to make a statement!
Then there are these 4 teams that were a huge disappointment to their fans and showed they were in for a tough year, more than anyone would expect.
Wisconson beat Northern Iowa 26-21. Who would ever think the Badgers would barely win this game? That score should be a wake up call for the Badgers coaching staff.
Iowa barely beat Northern Illinois 18-17. I expected much more from the Hawkeyes than that. I didn't expect them to win the big 10 by any means this year, but to be nearly upset by Northern Illinois????
Florida snuck by Bowling Green 27-14. Really???
And finally, Youngstown State upset Pitt 31-17. No one saw THAT comming. I wonder whats going on in Panther land? Anyone know if they have injury issues?
Anyways, currently I see Alabama and USC in the title game, and Nebraska winning the big 10 this year. It's way to early for that I know, but I wouldn't be a bit suprised

Last edited by keithdog; 09-02-12 at 10:05 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 11:07 PM   #18
bamabassman

keith, thank oyu for your vote of cofidence buddy. BUT....don't forget about ok state, oklahoma, oregon and oregon state. texas too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.