Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-07, 09:21 AM   #1
TheBossT127
BassFishin.Com Member

Default depth finder problem

What would cause my Lowrance LCX-15 MT to flash the depth at 0? The boat and unit are new to me. I believe it has a thru-hull transducer because the only thing I find at the transom is a temp sensor. If it is the transducer, how do I go about replacing it?
Old 07-22-07, 10:40 AM   #2
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossT127 View Post
What would cause my Lowrance LCX-15 MT to flash the depth at 0? The boat and unit are new to me. I believe it has a thru-hull transducer because the only thing I find at the transom is a temp sensor. If it is the transducer, how do I go about replacing it?
You can buy the individual transducer though most online marine shops. They run about $100.
Old 07-22-07, 11:37 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

add some water over the transducer puck on your shoot thru next time your out. for some reason this is actually a fairly normal thing..

zooker
Old 07-22-07, 03:06 PM   #4
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BOSS,
I don't know what the problem is with shoot-thru transducers, but I have to replace mine every 3 or 4 years. They seem to lose bottom lock and the depth numbers run up and down the scale. I don't know if the transducer heats up from being inside the boat instead of being in the cooling water, or if the constant pounding of the waves on the bottom of the boat causes the transducer mounting epoxy to give way and allows an air pocket to form under the transducer. I never had that problem when I mounted the transducer on the outside, I was just always tearing it off on rocks and stumps.

JackL
Old 07-22-07, 08:21 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
BOSS,
I don't know what the problem is with shoot-thru transducers, but I have to replace mine every 3 or 4 years. They seem to lose bottom lock and the depth numbers run up and down the scale. I don't know if the transducer heats up from being inside the boat instead of being in the cooling water, or if the constant pounding of the waves on the bottom of the boat causes the transducer mounting epoxy to give way and allows an air pocket to form under the transducer. I never had that problem when I mounted the transducer on the outside, I was just always tearing it off on rocks and stumps.

JackL
Old wise one, from listening to the News I was wondering if you had been down around San Antonio lately? With the black cloud that follows you anytime you leave MO. I was wondering if you might be the cause of all the flooding they are having?

Lizards
Old 07-22-07, 11:26 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Dang, Lizards, I never thought of that!

Seriously, yesterday Flyrod, Guttboy and I were all set to go. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, standing on the driveway at 4 AM drinking coffee and watching the sky look like a strobe light made the decision for us.
Old 07-23-07, 08:59 AM   #7
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

LIZ,
Have not been back to TX since April. The flooding that is happening there now is residual from 4 trips to TX in 2 months. The weather could not stand the inundation of Kansans that many times that close together and just went totally ballistic. I kind of cooled it after Grand lake in Oklahoma raised 8 ft. when it heard I was coming down in May and Truman lake in Missouri raised 18 ft when it heard I was coming down in June. I thought that I would go to some of the Kansas lakes for a while and raise the water level in them. It has not worked, my favorite lake in KS is still 14 ft low.

JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.